Frankenmuth Mi. may be the next location for a OCF !!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Frankenmuth Mi. may be the next location for a OCF !!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Wednesday, March 15, 2017 - 09:06 am:

I have contacted a friend that works for the Frankenmuth Inn and is also involved in Frankenmuth's events. He is very interested and excited about the possibility of having a annual old car event there. He also said that they have hundreds of acres for parking of trailers and big rigs with overnight parking not being a problem. Then he went as far as to say that Frankenmuth would be doing the promoting for a strictly original old car gathering pre 1932. My question to the forum folks is would this be something you would be interested in. The area offers rural roads for touring and they could have main street closed off for a gaslight tour also. Nothing set in stone but if there is enough interest to make it worthwhile, every indication is they WANT to do this. Please comment so I can relay the information along to the organizers.

http://www.frankenmuth.org/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Wednesday, March 15, 2017 - 09:24 am:

I'm in!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller, mostly in Dearborn on Wednesday, March 15, 2017 - 09:31 am:

Don,

I just polled three other OCF regulars. Add our four names to your tally.

Since Frankenmuth has a car show meet that includes hot rods and modern cars on the same weekend as the OCF, I am guessing this would be a July August venue?

I've stayed at the Yogi Bear campground which is walking distance from Frankenmuth and across the street from Bronners. Last time I was there, they had an area for travel trailer storage.

I am guessing no one would starve or get bored there.

(Message edited by tmiller6 on March 15, 2017)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Wednesday, March 15, 2017 - 09:37 am:

I am interested too.

I know it is very early in the thinking of, idea, or planning stage but if others have attended other car events there what would be a ball park cost of:
1)car event
2)camping
3)hotel

Just to get an idea for a budget

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Wednesday, March 15, 2017 - 09:38 am:

Preliminary talks are, this would be a separate weekend and maybe a 3 or 4 day event. The person I contacted said he would not hold it the same weekend of the present car show because its not the class of show that original old cars would deserve. This is just in the talking stage and I don't know if it can be worked out but they seemed very excited about presenting this to the event managers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Wednesday, March 15, 2017 - 09:43 am:

Dennis, it would be up to organizers to determine the entry fee and such. I know they offer discounts for hotels whenever a big event is going on there....they are professionals at this sort of thing and when I get more information I will pass it on. It would also be good to know if it would be a judged event or not. I for one, don't really give a mouse's butt if its judged or not. Stay tuned !!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Wednesday, March 15, 2017 - 10:16 am:

Just be sure to rope off your car so it doesn't get covered in greasy fried chicken finger prints!

They DO hold an "Old Car Festival"there every fall, kind of a wild-west affair with cars scattered all about main street and in various parking lots.

The amount of people aimlessly wandering around that town window-shopping and jay-walking the main drag on any given day is truly amazing- or nerve wracking if you are a 16 year old driver of a dump truck/water tanker with poor brakes who had to drive that route to get to the hydrant on the north end of Frankenmuth!

If the OCF HAS to be in Michigan, The Gilmore is by far still the best choice.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux Grayling Michigan on Wednesday, March 15, 2017 - 11:24 am:

Count me in. I will be attending the Frankenmuth Autofest instead of the Greenfield Village Old Car Festival this year. Bringing at least one of the Model T Fords along.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Wednesday, March 15, 2017 - 01:27 pm:

I really kind of like that idea. Are you thinking of Heritage Park?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Wednesday, March 15, 2017 - 01:32 pm:

100 miles north of Dearborn. Has a brewery and a covered bridge. And I bet they have ice cream.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Wednesday, March 15, 2017 - 01:38 pm:

Dave,

Well of course they have ice cream! What's a tourist mecca without ice cream! My gosh, we're not animals here!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joseph A. Stearns on Wednesday, March 15, 2017 - 02:43 pm:

I live here in Frankenmuth, "Home of friendly people and good things to eat" This sounds like a good idea as it seems there is something going on here every weekend. Joe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Wednesday, March 15, 2017 - 03:06 pm:

Jerry Van, if it works out it would be in the Bavarian Inn property. It boils down to whether they can find a free weekend to hold it. But at least they are tossing it around we will see if anything comes of it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Strickling on Wednesday, March 15, 2017 - 04:58 pm:

Sounds great to me. Just don't have it on or near the week of the MTFCA or MTFCI national Summer tours.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Wednesday, March 15, 2017 - 05:19 pm:

Joseph,
My father's excavating co. built the approaches for the new bridge across the Cass River, west of town on Dehmel rd. back in the early 1980's.
The old bridge that was condemned and removed from there was a one-lane iron one with a wooden deck that I think ended up in a park south of town.
We straightened the road out to make the new bridge cross the river about 100 yards west of the old bridge which originally crossed the river at a 45 degree angle.
In the farm field we excavated for the bridge footings on the north end we dug through the farmer's dump and livestock burial ground- plenty of horse and cow bones plus hundreds of "Dr. Pierce's Golden Medical Discovery" and "Warner's Safe Kidney and Liver Cure" bottles. On the south side we found evidence of a Amerindian campsite and CMU did a dig there to recover some artifacts before the bridge company obliterated it.

If you go to the Frankenmuth website and look at the satellite map you can still see the old bridge approach just east of the current one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Wednesday, March 15, 2017 - 05:22 pm:

Would there be free driving like at the Village. Would there be a Pass-in-Review (if we want one and I think there should be one as it is distinctive feature of an MM and OCF type event), would there be Popular Choice voting (MM) and judging (OCF) like at the Village?

The attending fire engines could pump off the river at Heritage Park(?)

Who or what group of people are going to start taking the initiative to get a replacement going for MM and OCF? Whatever is done as a replacement, MUST be done to replace both events.

This idea should be floated to AACA, HCCA and, other single and multi-make clubs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Wednesday, March 15, 2017 - 05:50 pm:

Back the truck up Vern,[Must be done to replace both events] The idea was floated as 1932 or before and Frankenmuth already has a huge modern car show.It seems if only to me that whoever comes up with a idea must copy the ocf?? Hell that's easy,pay double up front for a maybe spot,no parking,and don't let anyone know till the last minute!! Please,This idea is young and fragile so give it a little thought before you kill it!!! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux Grayling Michigan on Wednesday, March 15, 2017 - 06:52 pm:

Dale, Dad used to drive real slow across that old bridge to scare us kids in the early 70's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Barker - Dayton, OH on Wednesday, March 15, 2017 - 07:24 pm:

The phrase that would keep me away is "strictly original". How far will they push that? My speedster is far from original, but I still consider it a mostly period-correct Model T speedster. I suppose there are others that would disagree. No offense meant to those who prefer "stock" Model Ts, but those who organize the show may preclude many who may wish to attend but don't have a "strictly original" car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Wednesday, March 15, 2017 - 08:01 pm:

Auto fest crowds. They won't have any trouble accommodating hungry drivers or spectators that's for sure.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Wednesday, March 15, 2017 - 08:43 pm:

I smell chiken dinner . . . . and Christmas in July.

Born and raised in Dearborn, but it's not my town anymore since Orville Hubbard died.

Wonder if we could do a OCF in Milford, MI at Camp Dearborn? Tent Village? The Canteen?

Edsel Ford HS '72
U of M Dearborn '74
U of M A2 '76

I'm all in if they will accept the War Wagon.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Wednesday, March 15, 2017 - 08:51 pm:

Hey lets take a breath here, this is only a first step. It may go nowhere. I can only put a idea in their head and see what kind of reaction it gets from the Frankenmuth organizers. If they come back with a real interest then that will be the time to throw it at the clubs and see if it sticks. This is not a duplicate of the THF OCF. No-one can duplicate that. It is merely an attempt to give the old car crowd a opportunity and choice. Frankenmuth has tons to offer in ways other places cannot. And if it does come about it would be up to you as to support it or not. The Gilmore Museum would be another choice but I have no contacts there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Wednesday, March 15, 2017 - 10:10 pm:

Ed, That was a creaky, wobbly old gal for sure!
We rebuilt one somewhat near you too. The old "Camp 10" bridge near Mio was a similar iron one-laner with the build date handily cast on the pinnacle at both ends- "1882"!
I was a popular fishing spot, but every time a vehicle crossed over it's 80 foot span, you had to either get off the bridge or climb up into the lattice work until it passed by. Eventually it got condemned and it literally fell apart when it was removed. We subcontracted the approaches for the bridge builders.
I grew up in the woods north of Luzerne, south of Red Oak along the Ausable River. I remember hearing the steady thumping all summer long from artillery during war games at Camp Grayling.

Is Wakley's junk yard east of Grayling still in business?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux Grayling Michigan on Thursday, March 16, 2017 - 08:37 am:

The wife and I transplanted from Saginaw to Grayling in 1998. Wakeley's is still going strong under Larry's son Gene. Sadly Larry passed a few years ago. Barb is still kickin' :-) Gene saves things that may interest me. He sold me a '28 A doodlebug not long ago.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Thursday, March 16, 2017 - 09:11 am:

Ed,Are those car wheels or the rare wire truck rims?? I think Don has a good idea in Frankenmuth and i have did a couple of weddings there! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Thursday, March 16, 2017 - 09:52 am:

Ed,
I haven't been to Wakelys in about a decade, but it was always worth the trip! My grandfather drove a Caterpillar "60" 15 miles (@ 2 mph/ 0.5 mpg)) there in the 1960's to scrap it and as a kid I was NOT HAPPY to see it go! That Cat was still there in the 1990s and probably still ran (you cranked it by sticking a crowbar in a hole in the exposed flywheel and pulling it over, if it backfired, the bar would launch like a javelin into the nearest field, or building!)
I bought many Fordson and Cletrac parts from him over the years along with a few old hit & miss engines. Back in the 1970's they had a pile of Model "T" and "A"s in the woods, some of them were still good running cars.

Love the doodlebug! Those front wheels do look like the heavy-duty 1928 AA style.

but yeah, where were we? Ah yes, Frankenmuth...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux Grayling Michigan on Thursday, March 16, 2017 - 09:52 am:

Truck wheels. They're pitted pretty badly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Thursday, March 16, 2017 - 10:02 am:

Talk about subject drift.... :o

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux Grayling Michigan on Thursday, March 16, 2017 - 10:03 am:

There are still T parts scattered around Wakeley's . I picked a brass steering wheel spider out of the pile last year, it went to someone here on the forum. Gene was glad to get the $250? for it. I bought a fairly complete 10-20 McCormick Deering from Larry. He was scrapping all of his tractor stuff. Seems like I remember your dozer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux Grayling Michigan on Thursday, March 16, 2017 - 10:04 am:

Ah, yes. Where was I? Oh. Frankenmuth, rusty bridges, old cars....... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller, mostly in Dearborn on Thursday, March 16, 2017 - 10:27 am:

Yeah Frankenmuth. Fried Clam Bellies at Tiffany's...Ummm.

And yes, old cars. Do they still have that Model A Roadster in one of the storefronts?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Thursday, March 16, 2017 - 12:43 pm:

Ed,
The Cat was parked right where it finally stopped -about 100ft north of their drive and about 100ft from the road. There were a pair of 1950 Ford woodies right behind it with "Stephan's Bridge Canoe Livery" stenciled on the doors. One of those was pretty well rotted away and the nicer of the two they went and set a Bridgeport mill on top of!
I remember visiting with Mr. Wakeley and he would have his woodstove cranking out the heat! It would be 100+ degrees in the house and he would still be poking and loading it with more fuel.
You've probably heard this one yourself, but His grandfather (Larry's Great Grandfather) settled that property in the 1800's and was a one-armed Civil War veteran, although he didn't lose his arm in the war- many years later he was trying to rattle a raccoon out of a hollow stump by sticking the butt of his loaded shotgun into the log- with predictable results!

... Speaking of Frankenmuth...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Thursday, March 16, 2017 - 12:48 pm:

Correction: Larry's grandfather, Gene's GGF...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux Grayling Michigan on Thursday, March 16, 2017 - 01:22 pm:

Not the property where the scrapyard is. The Wakeley homestead was east of the corner of North Down and Wakeley Bridge roads. Larry bought the scrapyard property from his brother Jim, with the insurance check from his house fire near Kirtland College. $800.00 for 5 acres, with the house and 50 cars. He had only been married to Barb for a few weeks at the time. Barb is as good a mechanic as any man. She could be found under a car working on a transmission from time to time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Thursday, March 16, 2017 - 06:35 pm:

800.oo for the entire place?? He got that much out of me a few times over!
It must have been a wild and wooly area when Tom settled there- I'm guessing during the lumbering era when the great White Pine forests were being rapidly cut down.

Unlike FRANKENMUTH where there are NO white pine forests, just lederhosen and fried chicken!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Thursday, March 16, 2017 - 09:25 pm:

If I could back to the topic of this thread: Don, et al: I believe whatever is done should be as close a duplicate of MM and OCF as possible. I for one do not want, nor does the public, yet another static car show.

A mammoth part of MM and OCF is that the cars MOVED!!! There was game playing, Pass-in-Review, free-driving, etc. The public and participants LOVE that they can see and show the cars running, moving. That they can hear them and even smell them!

I would still like that we entertain the idea of Crossroads Village. I believe there is ample room for everything in a setting very much like GFV.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Friday, March 17, 2017 - 05:51 am:

Go for it ! Frankenmuth could also be a moving, game playing event. That would be up to the clubs that sign on. I haven't heard anything from them yet so I doubt they have a free weekend to do it. I will back off the idea.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Friday, March 17, 2017 - 08:56 am:

Hang in there Don!! It has only been a few day's since the idea was floated! While i would agree people have seen enough static car shows,nothing is more static than a couple of 100 cars waiting their turn at a pass in review!! As long as this is in the idea form why not try to make a event the car owners want?? Car owners foot the bill and provide the show,so why not start fresh and go with the idea car people FIRST!!!!!Bud DeLong.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Friday, March 17, 2017 - 10:08 am:

I think last summer we got a e-mail heads up about a gathering at Standish,Mi. It was just a bunch of old car people out for fun no charge no rules just fun for the car people and the public.I think there was 40 or 50 mostly A's a few T's,and even 1 Pierce Arrow! We did not take a car so we were just the public but everyone enjoyed it and a lot of visiting!! No one had to do this or that just enjoy the day.Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Hoshield; Oak Park MI on Sunday, March 19, 2017 - 08:16 pm:

I agree, a rolling, show would be grand ,but that would be a big committment and potential liability for a 'real town'. They would know best regarding regilations 'if any', about a couple hundred T's and A's invading town. :-) Belle Isle , east of Detroit might be a possibility, as well. Might be a shot in the arm for the park. It's conceivable, they might allow it to be exclusive to 'old cars' for tbe weekend, where we could still drive around un-hindered by modern hardware. Just another location idea.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Monday, March 20, 2017 - 05:35 pm:

I still think Crossroads Village needs to be explored. It would allow for free driving, etc., on closed grounds.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Monday, March 20, 2017 - 05:36 pm:

The Bantam Jeep Fest draws over 15,000 people from the USA and several countries and it is held in a "real town" and they play games, parade, etc. It can be done and if your worried about liability then maybe someone could contact the organizers of their event and ask them what they do. Look at the website "Butler PA Bantam Jeep Fest" and you can see all the activity. They recently moved the games to Cooper Lake to handle the overflow.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration