OT-Northeast Blizzard

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: OT-Northeast Blizzard
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Wednesday, March 15, 2017 - 12:52 pm:

Attached are some of our Northeast Blizzard pictures. Which is just a little bit than we normally get in a winter snow storm. One of my pet peeves are the weather journalists. This is some of the stunning statements they've made: "Standing on top of some plowed up snow. This was bare pavement a week ago". Showing a mall parking lot being plowed "This is a modified tractor with giant tires on it". "You'll probably find snow drifts around your house this morning". In the middle of yesterday's blizzard, "If you're out driving, you'll want to put your windshield wipers on". Another journalist, bending down writing the amount of snowfall so far with his finger in the snow. Standing up on a plowed mound of snow, telling us how big the pile is, proceeds to sit down and slide down to the bottom of the pile. Carrying a yardstick and measuring the different spots in the snow, and telling us how much it snowed, in the meantime, the wind is whipping the snow all around. There is no way he could have gotten an actual measurement. A demonstration on how to correctly shovel snow.
Now folks, this is not Hawaii, with a once in a lifetime snowfall. This is what we get every winter. It's the dumbing down of society. What ever happened to just telling us the weather. They have to much air time to fill and no one with common sense to fill it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Govoni on Wednesday, March 15, 2017 - 01:05 pm:

You think that's bad, you should have seen the reports we got in VA. In the end we got 2 inches of slush. Today I saw the "news 4" weather 4X4 talking about driving on ice. They were in a parking lot, on flat ground, with an area of about 6 square feet! Lucky they had the 4X4.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Wednesday, March 15, 2017 - 01:10 pm:

Dan Im glad I am not the only one thinking that way.one inch of snow and the roads are slick. Hey lets close schools and advize people to stay home! How about roll out of bed early and get to work on time? Its cold out so lets delay school two hours. Teaching great work ethics to our youth. If they didnt say how bad it is and blow out of proportion, they wouldnt have a job to do and nobody would watch. I called my employey to let him know I was going to be late because I was on a roll over accident with our fire department. It was time to start work and he was still 20 minutes from jobsite. He procceded to tell me how slick the roads were. They called for bad conditions for three days. We had pleanty of warning.
I am glad we didnt get what you have Dan.
Drive safe and often

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ALAN FAIRCLOUGH from Houston, TEXAS on Wednesday, March 15, 2017 - 01:11 pm:

You think that is bad.
HA!
Temperatures here in Houston are in the loooow 60's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Wednesday, March 15, 2017 - 01:14 pm:

Allen, when it hits 60 here you will have 104 degrees.
Ha! Who will laugh then?
Thanks for poking at us up north.
Drive safe and often

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Goodheart, Edwards, NY on Wednesday, March 15, 2017 - 01:18 pm:

Dan, I agree with your comments about the weather news reporters. I have heard them say some of the same things. They like to dramatize the forecast.
It's hard to tell from your pictures but it looks like you got a bit more than we did in Northern NY. I think we got about 14" but it is hard to get an accurate measurement with so much drifting. I have heard some areas in the Adirondacks got 4 feet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks on Wednesday, March 15, 2017 - 01:36 pm:

Dan, it appears you lucked out. We got 37 inches in Binghamton. The National Guard is here helping people out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Wednesday, March 15, 2017 - 01:42 pm:

Speaking of weather and wipers....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ronald meeder on Wednesday, March 15, 2017 - 01:44 pm:

Ya in Sherman NY we got 30" and I still have my perfect record , never missed a day of work on account of weather, the weather people are working for there sponsor's,

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Wednesday, March 15, 2017 - 01:55 pm:

Dan, re the weather comments..you know what they say..."stupid is, as stupid does"!!

That's some snow! It missed us. We only got 4", but the WIND!! OMG...it was brutal.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James G Fisher III Peachtree City, GA on Wednesday, March 15, 2017 - 02:02 pm:

From someone who never sees snow I think its beautiful. I used to live in Spokane many lives ago and I miss it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Wednesday, March 15, 2017 - 02:06 pm:

I never believe the weather forecasters for the same reason as most of you have stated they make a big to do about nothing. They were calling for 14" to 16" in my area and we got about 6" to 8".

What I don't understand is why do they always worry about the weather? People go from a climate controlled house, To a climate controlled automobile, To a climate controlled office.

Most of my life I have worked outdoors and always survived by sticking my head out the door in the morning looking at the weather and dressing accordingly. Still here and still getting dressed for the weather.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Wednesday, March 15, 2017 - 02:12 pm:

C'mon Guys! We know you're not "Wimps!" :-) (BTW, Ever hear of something called 'The Frozen Tundra???")
Those of us living in 'The Fly-over States' deal with those happenstances every day! - But we'll thankfully accept it as 'normal', & are happy to live here. Without our calling the Governor, Congressman, Senator & President to seek pity, we deal with it, then move on to the next day and time. Not really a big deal! Maybe find those cross-country ski's or hunker down until the sunny-sky melts it away. Even nicer is to find your T in a heated shop!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Wednesday, March 15, 2017 - 03:04 pm:

When i read that the sun came out!! Good on ya Dick!! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Goodheart, Edwards, NY on Wednesday, March 15, 2017 - 03:19 pm:

Dennis,
Everything you say about the weather forecasters is true, we were on the wrong side of it this time our forecast was for 6" - 8", we got the 14 - 16. The National Weather Service is the worst with all their advisories. Like you I don't need them to issue a wind chill advisory, when it is below zero and breezy. I already know it is cold.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Wednesday, March 15, 2017 - 05:04 pm:

I'm so glad my grandparents left upstate New York for Los Angeles before 1900. And my mother left Utah for Los Angeles before I was born. So for me that kind of weather is unimaginable.

Here it is in the 80's and already spring. All the flowers and fruit trees are in bloom.

We can go up in the mountains during winter and play in the snow and go to the beach and play in the ocean all in the same day if we want to.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ronald meeder on Wednesday, March 15, 2017 - 05:21 pm:

U might have better weather but we got a lot better neighbors than u will ever have, 30" of snow won't Robb or murder u.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Wednesday, March 15, 2017 - 06:38 pm:

It has been snowing continuously since yesterday. It just stopped about an hour ago.

Another good one on the weather today. The newscaster who is in her 40's and on the heavy side, climbed up on a high snowbank made by the tractor with the giant tires. She stood up there proclaiming these snow banks are dangerous. I was waiting for her to drop through, she got lucky and didn't. They say we got 18 inches in Hannibal. Which is really not that uncommon. The governor was on banning travel in certain counties, claiming his reasoning was if you get stuck, other traffic wouldn't be able to get through. DUH!! Our governor is a real feel good guy looking for publicity. Watch for him to run for president.

The one good thing about winter is I can't drive the old cars, so it forces me to work in the garage to get work done. The bad thing about this particular storm is we were a couple of a good rain showers away from washing all the salt on the road away.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Wednesday, March 15, 2017 - 06:53 pm:

Sallad, Alan's name is spelled Alan, not Allen! I get quite peed off by those who show such disrespect.

Allan, from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Wednesday, March 15, 2017 - 07:03 pm:

No direspect. Jusy a mistake!!! Nalla.
Is it snowing on the other side of the world to?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Wednesday, March 15, 2017 - 07:30 pm:

It's 80 deg. F. here in the California Central Valley, and that represents a little cooling from yesterday's temp. Alas, I fear Dallas (or Sallad, or whoever :-) ) is correct. When you guys in the Midwest and Northeast start getting some nice weather we'll be getting many 100+ days.

No disrespect to anyone who lives there intended. Several years ago I made a number of trips to Calexico, CA (at the border just south of El Centro adjacent to Mexicali). There were several days when the high exceeded 115. I dunno how they do it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Wednesday, March 15, 2017 - 08:40 pm:

Been off of here for two days now. I think we ended up with around 20", but enjoying it with the doodlebug snowmobile I could not. I still went to work and came home yesterday and today and snowblowed until it was dark and I was tired and cranky. I have darn near 8 hours into clearing my property. Im tired, this is the northeast, but I am ready for spring--we were so close. I am almost out of room for snow now and we have a little more coming Saturday. Sounds like a good day to take the Doodlebug out.

And Dan, your right, stuff like this isn't uncommon, I do believe however we have gotten "soft" over the years with global warming and our winters with a lack of snow over the past years. 20 years ago, this would be highly uncommon. 40 years ago, people would have told you, you're nuts, there can't be snow free winters in NY. Oh how times change.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Warren- Huntington, VT on Wednesday, March 15, 2017 - 08:44 pm:

We got hammered here in Huntington, VT. I decided today was a good day to burn a few vacation hours since I couldn't get out of my driveway anyway... We got Somewhere between 36-40 inches. It's hard to tell cause it was blowing around until this morning, then it calmed down and was snowing really hard all day. I had someone come plow the driveway earlier today, and still have to shovel it two more times today... Here are a few pics of me snowmobiling around the yard. I was standing up on the sled and still couldn't barely see over the snow that was blasting me in the face. Once I got a path made I pulled the kids around on a tube most of the day. They LOVED it! - Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Wednesday, March 15, 2017 - 10:28 pm:

Chad, the winters haven't gotten soft in this area. Some are worse than others. The only easy one was either 90 or 91. I was able to drive my coupe quite a bit that year, unfortunately it hasn't happened since.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Wednesday, March 15, 2017 - 10:38 pm:

They have gotten really light in the capital region, Dan. It is very common to have only a few small storms and just be cold and clear the rest of the time.

This year has been a roller coaster. 70's 3 weeks ago, and now a couple of feet of snow...and lots of swing in temps throughout. I don't mind this snow really, although all at once is a little hard to take. What I find a pain in the A is trying to go to work and then come home to spend hours on end clearing it out....and then not to get to enjoy it because it seems as soon as its cleared it melts fast.

Michael, I don't envy you with over 3 feet in less than two days. That is just insane. But it sure is pretty. Do you think this is why they invented the T snowmobiles?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison - Rice, Minnesota on Wednesday, March 15, 2017 - 10:57 pm:

The ground has been bare here for weeks then yesterday I think we got an inch. Today it was 33 degrees. Most of the snow is gone. Thank you Al Gore!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Wednesday, March 15, 2017 - 11:08 pm:

I haven't seen any snow in Mexico over the last few days.
In fact it was sunny and cold when I left Boston on Monday.

My wife did tell me that the snowplow guy got stuck in the ditch at the end of our driveway and her friend plunged her SUV ina snowbank across from her driveway.

I hope I don't get a sunburn

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Wednesday, March 15, 2017 - 11:21 pm:

I will say this it was dang cold when I went to work Monday, I'm guessing the water was in the upper 70's. Anything that involves big wrenches, small cotter keys, dive tanks, waves/surge, and sharp big barnacles is not fun.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Wednesday, March 15, 2017 - 11:28 pm:

Winter in N.E. can certainly be beautiful, but after living here all my life, its getting pretty tiresome waiting for Springtime T driving. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Wednesday, March 15, 2017 - 11:53 pm:

My wife S and I dream of a nice two or three day snowstorm/blizzard so we CAN'T go anywhere. It's been far too long here in MN. OK, maybe last year...
Yet she'll change the channel if I start barking at the moron on the TV whining about the weather or what-not.
ALL the dimwits on the TV emphasize those key words to keep you interested. Darned media.
Dan, I like your style. It is winter after all.
Mike, Uh huh!
Beautiful pictures!
Man, you guys DO get the snow!
Several years ago, some one out in North Dakota commented that they had just had a nasty snowstorm/blizzard and no one came out to broadcast that "Dangerous" storm and they were left to just dig themselves out like they always do.
Like we always do.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Thursday, March 16, 2017 - 06:17 am:

Hate to beat a dead horse to death... but... they get dumber all the time. The latest this morning is the weather newscaster stands there and the camera man zooms in on her foot, she twists her foot back and forth and tells us there's still snow on the sidewalk, but you you can start seeing the sidewalk. But remember it is still slippery. Then the camera zooms over to where a car had been parked, obviously there is a cleared out spot where the car was.She explains there was a parked car there. The mayor of Syracuse likens the parked cars as 1000 pound paper weights that are in the way of the plows.
Then we switch back to the studio, the question of the day is "who is the most popular Disney Princess in NYS"? At this point I turn to my wife and say "why don't you email them and tell them it's Princess, Summer, Fall, Winter, Spring from the Howdy Doddy Show" That way they can be PC. At this point my wife rolls her eyes at me and threatens to turn off the tv. I tell her go ahead, I can't take it anymore.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Thursday, March 16, 2017 - 06:47 am:

I gots to go to Albany, New York ....

From Miami, Florida where I am today.

I have to have a talk with myself ......

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Thursday, March 16, 2017 - 06:51 am:

I have really got to turn this tv off. They just showed a superintendent of schools in Mass. closing schools, not with the typical announcement, but singing a song he made up about it. I need a T ride to get back to reality. I guess going out and working on the 56 will have to do.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Thursday, March 16, 2017 - 06:55 am:

Hang on Dan. They will be on spring storms before to long. Think spring!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Thursday, March 16, 2017 - 09:25 am:

Dan,On the bright side you don't see many bugs,fly's or snakes do you? Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A Bartsch on Thursday, March 16, 2017 - 10:20 am:

Re: Storm hype & weather 'news'- The first 'snow storm' last Dec was preceded by a 'news' reporter interviewing the Syracuse NY plow crew chief inside the massive and full salt storage barn. She concluded her soundbite with 'they have 5 tons of salt all ready for this storm'. On Tuesday a different 'reporter' at the same Syracuse salt venue flatly stated the road crews 'have 300 tons of salt on hand' for road and street treatment. Two orders of magnitude is a trivial technical error when a storm is coming. Drive careful jb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Thursday, March 16, 2017 - 10:46 am:

Marv: When I was stationed in Fairbanks Ak. we barley got over 11 inches of snow for the year, but man was it cold. Yes,I am familiar with frozen Tundra and Perma-Frost! Glad to be down south but I do miss Circle hot springs, and Eagle river.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Thursday, March 16, 2017 - 11:25 am:

-Hey, G.R.-
The calendar tells us it's going to be 'Spring' next week, so we all need to be tolerant and accept the inevitable. (Though many feel your humidity down there isn't something to be envied!) Eagle River is about 100 miles north of us nearing Northern Michigan..... Welcome to "God's Country!" Meanwhile, here's some 'early spring' for everyone!
---------
Click on the link below. You will get a black page.
Click your mouse anywhere (& everywhere) on the page & see what happens!
Better yet, click (hold down) & drag your mouse over the black page...
Enjoy!!
http://www.procreo.jp/labo/flower_garden.swf

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Thursday, March 16, 2017 - 01:02 pm:

Dan - Speaking of "dumb", I don't know if I can describe this very well, but picture this if you will:

I look at a local TV stations 5-day forecast graph every morning, and I really get a kick out of how vague this stupid thing is. Each day is represented by a little square that shows the "high" & "low" temps predicted for the day, and in the middle of each square is a little "cartoonish" symbol of a dark cloud if rain is predicted, a little sun peeking out beside the cloud if the prediction is "partly cloudy" or "sun breaks", and of course, if a sunny day is predicted, the only symbol shown will be the figure of a bright sun. In each square, they always show the percent chance of rain, anywhere from 0% to 100% "chance of rain". And by the way, I don't understand how 100% "chance of rain" could be considered a "chance" or rain"! But anyway, here's what really "gets me" about their wishy-washy percent chance of rain thing. Whenever there is any chance of rain, they always almost completely cover the 20% or 30% or 90%, (whatever is is that day) numerals with the edge of the cutsey little cloud, and the ONLY tiny top edge portion of the numerals that show slightly sticking out above the top edge of the cloud so that you absolutely cannot read the number. In other words, you can't tell by just seeing the very top of the number if it's a 30% or a 80%, or maybe 90% or whatever! In other words, I take that to mean they really have no idea what "percent chance or rain" there is, so they just make sure that you can't read it! And this has been done this way for at least as long as I've been looking at the dumb thing"! Is that a spineless, gutless whether forecast or what??? Why do I even look at it,.....? I don't know,....I guess just to see how "wishy-washy" they can be maybe,......FWIW,...... harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Thursday, March 16, 2017 - 01:29 pm:

Harold: Our weather prognosticator down here describes it like this,"if I say there is a 20% chance of precipitation that means not all of us will see rain but that about 20% of our viewing area will receive some rain!" so I guess to verify his prediction you would need to call every one within a 200 mile radius of the station and ask if they got rain. I think he read 1984 and became an expert at doublespeak!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Thursday, March 16, 2017 - 01:41 pm:

50% chance of rain!!! Since the beginning of time ,Im sure man thought every day that it could rain tomorrow. 50-50 just like waking up in the morning. If I get my job wrong Im out of a job, house,truck, and worse yet a T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Thursday, March 16, 2017 - 02:17 pm:

From this FWIW dept. - Weather tools
Enter your own zip code in the site's search location, then 'Fine tune' to your liking. (I like the 'Radar' feature on this first one, and 'Play' to detect movement direction.) Copy & paste the desired screen location from your address bar to your "Bookmarks/Favorites" for quick access.

http://www.accuweather.com/

"Find your local weather" by entering your zip code, fine tune and 'save' as before.

http://www.noaa.gov/

If you want to know what the jet-stream winds are bringing your way, try this:

http://www.intellicast.com/National/Wind/JetStream.aspx

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Thursday, March 16, 2017 - 02:26 pm:

An additional thought-sharing on the 'radar' and Intellicast screens... If obviously available, zoom or expand as desired, sometimes even just a 'point & click' will work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cliff Colee on Thursday, March 16, 2017 - 02:35 pm:

Far more snow than actually fell was predicted for the DC Metro area last Tuesday. Up to 8" was predicted for my area, we got 2".

However, they were pretty spot-on about how much ice we would get. I had about 2" of snow, covered by 1/4" solid ice on the driveway on Tuesday.

I can drive just fine in snow, but ice scares the daylights out of me...... and we typically get a lot of ice in the Mid-Atlantic region.

There are a few candidates for the Darwin Award who actually attempt to drive on ice. Makes for gory pictures on the television coverage.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Thursday, March 16, 2017 - 02:41 pm:

-Cliff-
You guys there don't have a monopoly on having 'those invincible idiots'.... (They continue to spread!)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Thursday, March 16, 2017 - 02:44 pm:

Cliff ,I drove or 6 man cabover pumper to an accident a few years ago. Ice storm had everything covered. Its pretty flat around here. I think I reached a top speed of about 5mph. Cant imagine any hills thrown in the mix. As it was you couldnt have driven a 10d nail up my butt with a sledge.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, March 16, 2017 - 04:07 pm:

How many of those young Uh, folks, even know what a 1-d nail is?? Box or finish Dallas? :-)
I grew up in Dunsmuir, CA where, if the principal could get to school, we had school He lived just below it and owned a jeep. We didn't use many snow days! Now if it's going to snow even 6" they close down the freeway at Redding, down in the valley. No one remembers how to drive in the stuff!
As for newscasters, I've seen some real doozys, even by national news anchors. I remember back during 9-11, when the second plane hit, the voice over said something like, "I don't this is an accident." DUH!!!!
And "News" nowadays. I remember back in grade school, the date was 6/6/66, and I thought that was pretty neat, so put it up on the chalk board. No one else thought it important at all. Come 9/9/99 all the newsfolks made a big thing about it. BTW, it was important in our home, because it was my Mom's 75th birthday!
Yep what qualifies as "News" nowadays wouldn't even get a mention when we were kids.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Raynor in Southampton on Thursday, March 16, 2017 - 04:14 pm:

This is what I think of snow after all these years of it I can't wait to move somewhere that I can drive my cars at least 11 months of the yearPicture

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Thursday, March 16, 2017 - 04:20 pm:

David,
I dont blame them for closing things. 6 inches of snow is dangerous stuff. People would have to dive slower. They would have to plan ahead for work and school. They would have to clean up the snow in the drive and walks after work so they would be tired and miss their favorite TV shows in the evening and maybe just maybe the forcast!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cliff Colee on Thursday, March 16, 2017 - 04:22 pm:

Craig: If we ever meet, please remind me to stand to your front or side if you've eaten beans in the past 24 hours.....

Dallas: Also curious whether box or finish. Third option: those nails with the grips on the sides to hold better in wood...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Thursday, March 16, 2017 - 04:24 pm:

WOE!!!
Craig, the cold and snow aint that bad if you dress for it and what attatchment did you get with that snow blower

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Thursday, March 16, 2017 - 04:25 pm:

Cliff,
I was a little nerved up so a smooth shank finish wouldnt go

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Thursday, March 16, 2017 - 04:26 pm:

Reading about all the things people say on the air about weather took me back to my Air Force days in Little Rock AR. A favorite thing of the weather folks then was to say something like, "There is a 70% chance of rain over 35% of the state." Really?? Why don't you just tell me if it's going to rain here?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Thursday, March 16, 2017 - 08:53 pm:

Bud, you are right,no bugs or snakes and that is a good thing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Friday, March 17, 2017 - 06:36 am:

They are off the blizzard now. The big news now is a power transformer blew yesterday afternoon . A part of downtown Syracuse lost power for a few hours. The mayor was on the news with a plan to evacuate downtown if power wasn't restored by 7:30. She listed what the police would do ect.ect.ect. The news caster gets on, telling everyone "That's a very good plan ect.ect." add nauseousism. I can just imagine where she was going to put the thousands of people who live there for the"culture experience" of living "downtown". The power was back on in a few hours and Syracuse was saved. It is still the top story this morning dissecting every possible avenue of the BIG story.
Any how the boy 1 and boy 2 are here today so it remains to be seen how much I get done on the 56 today.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Friday, March 17, 2017 - 08:57 am:

I am well prepared for storms but at my age snow is not my favorite. Wind rain and fast water over roads are common inland car and RV drivers are dangerous, locals do much better.
Guess a tsunami is the worst fear around the west coast!! Take care and stay safe!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Friday, March 17, 2017 - 09:18 am:

Predicting weather is easy. There is a 100% chance of rain, snow, freezing conditions, sun, and extreeme heat EVERY day. Now predicting where that is going to be happening is a little bit harder. . . .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Friday, March 17, 2017 - 10:18 am:

I just saw Dick's picture above :-)

ooo

Dick - actually they have made it even easier to judge when to put the lights on here in Sweden; since 1977 the law says you always should have the lights on - night and day, rain or not. Thus most modern cars here has automatic lights - it gets on at low beam as soon as you start the car.

Thus when I rented a car on vacation in Florida a couple of years ago, I forgot to turn on the lights in the Chrysler 300 rental car. The streets were well lit so I didn't notice the lack of my own lights, so it took a few miles to understand why others flashed their lights at me when we drove out from the airport onto the Orlando streets at 10 pm..

For old cars and motorcycles with weak generators it's possible to get an exempt here in Sweden from the daytime light law, but for gas lighted cars and motorcycles it's often a permit to use the vehicle daytime only, due to the difficulty to shift to low beam for oncoming cars.

I choose to drive with the lights on always with my Model T to make sure I'm seen, since that's what modern drivers here are accustomed to.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Friday, March 17, 2017 - 10:57 am:

Roger, some states (including Missouri) require headlights any time the wipers are on. Many cars do that automatically. When I turn on the wipers, the lights go on about ten seconds later and then stay on until the wipers go off. I also forget sometimes when I am driving someone else's car that the lights may not go on by themselves.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Friday, March 17, 2017 - 01:38 pm:

Blizzard is over, time for snowman making. No work will get done on the 56.

Ready for the next "BLIZZARD"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Friday, March 17, 2017 - 02:05 pm:

A few minutes latter this peaceful scene disintegrated as the boys decided it was more fun to attack Grammy than build a snowman, news at 5:00.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Friday, March 17, 2017 - 02:22 pm:

Dan
Looks like the one in orange is cocked, locked and ready to rock! Its probably your fault. Letting kids play outside. They are supposed to be kept in the house and fed electronics. Playing outside was only done in olden times. Sorry! Just repeating what I see most of the time. Great to see that scene.
Drive safe and often

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Friday, March 17, 2017 - 08:17 pm:

Dan
Was Syracuse worth saving?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Friday, March 17, 2017 - 10:37 pm:

Dallas, you are right on all count's. They both have their electronics and the 5 yr old knows more abut them than I ever will or care to. He is usually awake before anyone at his house, so he face times(I think that's what it is when they can see each other) Ellen most mornings as we are always up early.
Both would always prefer to be outside.

Fred,maybe if you are cultured, but I'm not. I grew up there and bought my first house there,it was good. Now most of it's not safe to live in. I was there last week and thought about going past my old house, but decided it really wasn't safe to.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Saturday, March 18, 2017 - 09:00 am:

I never really thought about this but I just got up and the story on the Today Show was to be sure and clean the snow off your car roof. Ice chunks can blow off your roof at highway speeds and break somebody's windshield. It's illegal to drive with snow on your roof in 10 or 12 states. I never would have thought of that, but it never snows much here. Last couple winters it never really got cold more than a couple days in a row.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Saturday, March 18, 2017 - 09:04 am:

Follow a box truck or semi after a big snow. You will think about it then!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration