How does Spark advance rod come off at steering block?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: How does Spark advance rod come off at steering block?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ross Benedict - Calgary, Alberta on Wednesday, March 15, 2017 - 06:16 pm:

Keep in mind my T is a RHD. The timer adjusting rod is on my right as I look down at my steering wheel. I need to take off the steering block, so I can remove the existing split firewall.
The fuel rod appears to just slip out, but the spark advance pivot is attached. Not sure if is threaded on or?? Thoughts??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Wednesday, March 15, 2017 - 06:19 pm:

I believe there is a pin that needs to be punched out and then it should slide of with a little help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Wednesday, March 15, 2017 - 06:37 pm:

Dennis is correct. The advance lever is pinned on. They can be quite difficult to drive out, being so small. You will need to support the end of the shaft before trying to punch it out. It is often quickest and easiest to drill the pin out. If you get it off centre a bit, just go to a new pin which fits when replacing the pin.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Saggese on Wednesday, March 15, 2017 - 06:55 pm:

The head of the pin can be mushroomed over the hole, so it might be necessary to grind it down a little, or just drill it out as Allan suggested.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ross Benedict - Calgary, Alberta on Wednesday, March 15, 2017 - 06:58 pm:

Thanks guys!! Hadn't thought of a pin.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration