Getting there...rebuilding my flywheel/magnets.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Getting there...rebuilding my flywheel/magnets.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Wednesday, March 15, 2017 - 08:06 pm:

As many of you may know (and many of you probably don't know) I've been working on my car for over a year now (sad to say). I've also been attending the Long Beach Model T Club general meetings, every second Thursday of the month too, with my friend Mike Arnds. Because believe it or not, working on a Model T with nobody to commiserate with on the frustrations that is Model T is really not much fun. I tell my wife my sad sob stories and she just smiles and says you'll figure it out...of course I'll figure it out, hell I'm drawing every bloody assembly in the damn thing so there's nothing going to elude me other than mayhap procedures...but for those I've got Mike Bender's videos. But it's nice to have somebody to share your experiences (and misfortunes) working on Model T.

I had one hell of a lot of trouble leveling my magnets (about 6 months of trouble)...I was so pissed off by those bloody things I was seriously thinking of ripping them off and putting those paddles in for slinging the oil around in the transmission...but after reading some documentation on the design of the engine, decided I can't really do that because Henry provided for that extra weight out on the end of the crankshaft with is odd firing order. So, knowing this, I figured I just had to get those bloody things leveled. I went back to Mike Bender's video and watched it again...and as I've said before "lightening done struck the old shit house" (my dads saying), I instantly saw where I had gone wrong all these many months past.

I took the entire flywheel apart, checked the magnets again for strength and those which were not as strong as the rest(able to lift a 6 lb crescent wrench, that's my wife's hand in the picture...I don't wear fingernail polish...and if I even did, it wouldn't be red) I zapped them again (picture of my power supply)

...now all the magnets are back up to snuff and I proceeded to go about it as I had seen Mike Bender did.
And this time, they came out near perfect...had to smack a few of them here and there with my dead blow hammer, but otherwise I'm quite pleased.
Next step (according to Bender) check the distance from coil ring to magnets...they're all set at .025 on the upper side of the ring and .027 below the block...I spun the flywheel round to different locations and came up with the same measurements each time, so I figure I'm correct. According to Bender, the bottom distance can be a bit greater than the upper, because the magnets when running will pull that portion in a bit.

So I figure, with the newly recharged magnets (at 6 lbs) and the coil to magnet height set at .025, my car should have one damn strong running magneto when finished.
Next step...peen the brass screw ends, safety wire the coil ring build up the transmission and reinstall the flywheel/transmission assembly and safety wire the bolts, after that it's reinstall the pan.

The one thing I really like about the Long Beach Model T Club is that they've always got something going where they need cars to be...once I get my car going again I'll then be able to join in on some of those events, something I truly miss not being able to do. Because unlike a lot of folks, I don't think anything of jumping in my car and driving it someplace...if it's Long Beach, Manhattan Beach or even to the middle of the Mohave or Death Valley, I'll drive the car there rather than trailer it...why? Because driving a Model T anyplace is half the fun of getting where ever your going...and my car was meant to drive, not ride. ;)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Thursday, March 16, 2017 - 10:54 am:

Doing the exact same thing on my Centerdoor. Fun stuff !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks on Thursday, March 16, 2017 - 01:43 pm:

Martin, the paint on your mag ring is already coming off. This is not a good thing and is exactly why internal parts shouldn't be painted. Just trying to help...

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration