Late 1923 - 1925 Coupe Serial Numbers

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Late 1923 - 1925 Coupe Serial Numbers
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Sosnoski on Wednesday, March 15, 2017 - 08:11 pm:

As some of you know I've been doing a lot of research on the 1924 - 1925 Coupes. I said late 1923 - 1925 in the subject as many people refer to those 1924 model year cars built in the 1923 calendar year as late 1923 Coupes. To be specific, I'm talking about the high radiator cars with the standard (not suicide) doors.

One of the areas that I've been working on is correlating the body serial numbers with the engine numbers. I have obtained the body and engine numbers from several cars with known original engines. Plotting these I was able to derive an equation which gives a very hi correlation. Plugging the body serial numbers back into the equation will generate and engine number very close to the known engine number (within a day or two at most - many times the same day). I know that this doesn't indicate the day the body was built, or even the day the car was assembled as the engine number is just the date the engine was assembled. However, using this I'm hoping to be able to get a somewhat close time as to when a body was built if the original engine number is not known.

Being able to calculate the engine number within a couple of days is a lot more accurate than I thought possible. My assumption is that since I don't have a lot of data points, the equation works for the points I have, but may not work for those in between. I need more data points to determine if what I have is real or not.

Once again I'm asking if anyone has a 1924 - 1925 Coupe to take a look and see if you have a body serial number. The serial number will be located in one of the following places:

- On the passenger side floor board riser (the metal piece that holds the sloping floor boards)

- On the wooden sill between the door and the opening for the floor board (could be on the driver's or passenger's side).

Not all bodies will have a serial number. Those that do should end in a B (signifying a Briggs built body). In 1925 Ford started stamping numbers in the body which indicating which branch assembled the body.

If you have a body serial number, please email me with the body serial number and also the engine number.

I'm also trying to determine when Ford changed the body design between the first two variations of the body. Both of these were produced in the 1923 calendar year, but there is no documentation on these bodies during this time. If you have a 1924 Coupe built in the 1923 calendar year (those late 1923 Coupes) I would be interested in knowing what the engine number is even if there is no body serial number. I would then contact you to verify various details on the body to help narrow down when those changes took place.

Thanks for your help
Dave S.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration