Mechanic work aid

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Mechanic work aid
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eubanks, Powell, TN on Thursday, March 16, 2017 - 09:21 am:

For those that do their own work and have to hunt containers for bolts and nuts, etc during a tear down, I have found taking a 1 gal plastic liquid detergent container and cutting a big window on the pour end to be an excellent way to keep those bolts and nuts in a safe place until time to assemble again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, March 16, 2017 - 09:44 am:

I use Plano fishing lure containers to store nuts, bolts, and other small parts. They have adjustable internal dividers, they are clear so that you can see what's inside, and they stack well. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Zachary Dillinger - Charlotte, MI on Thursday, March 16, 2017 - 09:53 am:

I like the knockoff Sortimo boxes made by Stanley. They allow easy organization, won't drop / lose anything as long as you make sure to latch the lid, and are cheap ($11 each on Amazon). I have 9 or 10 of them in which I keep electronic components, nuts and bolts, Dremel tool stuff, rivets / safety wire / tie straps, etc.

Not only are they cheap and easy to store, the individual compartments inside lift out, making it easy to take what you need to where you need it while allowing you to leave the whole container on the bench or in the storage rack. This also allows you total freedom to arrange the compartments to suit you.

(Message edited by zdillinger on March 16, 2017)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, March 16, 2017 - 10:00 am:

Pepper cans.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Thursday, March 16, 2017 - 10:23 am:

Steve: is that a re-purposed library card file? Haven't seen one of those in ages.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Thursday, March 16, 2017 - 10:37 am:

When working with small parts I use egg cartons.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, March 16, 2017 - 10:43 am:

Nope, not a card file. I believe they're industrial parts drawers. An auction deal ($5).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Thursday, March 16, 2017 - 11:03 am:

I use cans or plastic jars for my bolts. I put all the bolts for one area together, for example, The bolts for the radiator are together. The bolts holding the steering column and other parts removed before the engine together. Then I put all the bolts for the engine supports together etc.

Then when it comes time to reassemble everything goes together easily.

It is much harder when you buy a pile of rusty parts which have been disassembled by someone else.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Thursday, March 16, 2017 - 01:18 pm:

Old not new file cabinets work well for storage and finding what you want easily with lager strong drawers and guides. Late ones are junk.

I have thirty five tall ones bought for usually 5.00 each storing every thing from paint to tools and T parts with large labels easily read from across the shop. Larger, stronger, and cheaper then a dozen roll away tool boxes. My hand truck is used to move any fully loaded to a different shop location.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Barker - Dayton, OH on Thursday, March 16, 2017 - 01:39 pm:

Just got this from an estate sale. Still full of stuff!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Thursday, March 16, 2017 - 08:29 pm:

I got three old IBM file card file cabinets from a discontinued AF base. They look like Dave's but with wider drawers. Cut some thin plywood to fit the bottom of the drawers (to cover the open slots)and included dividers to provide various size spaces. Each drawer can be lifted out of the cabinet to take contents to the work bench or where ever needed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Friday, March 17, 2017 - 07:25 am:

I use coffee cans. One for bolts. One for nuts. One for washers. My wife found me a little plastic tray that was purpose made for pouring stuff like that in so it can be easily sorted. One corner is made in the form of a "funnel", for lack of a better term, so the contents can be easily poured back into the can.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen, South Texas on Friday, March 17, 2017 - 08:56 am:

When I used to disassemble cars for painting, I used the plastic bin sets from Harbor Freight. I marked each bin with where the nuts, bolts, clips or brackets were taken. Examples are; L.Fender, R.Fender, Radiator, Core Support, Dash, L.Door, R.Door, Firewall, etc.

They work well for work on modern cars too when it might be more than my one hour memory allows before re-assembly. :-)

http://www.harborfreight.com/tool-storage/part-storage/20-piece-poly-bins-and-ra ils-41949.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Saturday, March 18, 2017 - 09:05 am:

Ziploc bags, I use Ziploc bags and write on the bag where the bolts,parts and etc go to.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Lyon, PDX, OR. on Saturday, March 18, 2017 - 08:44 pm:

When I disassembled my motor I put all the nuts and bolts in ziploc bags and marked them with a feltpen. Now that I'm reassembling the motor I can't find half the bolts and a lot of the ones I'm finding don't fit what they're marked for!! Don

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Saturday, March 18, 2017 - 09:37 pm:

I use the harbor freight containers shown above and coffee cans but they are all plastic in the kind my wife buys but the to top is thick and I use a brother labeler for identification. Some of them are just for long term storage. Tim

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration