Floorboard stamp

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Floorboard stamp
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Thursday, March 16, 2017 - 11:27 am:

Is anyone familiar with this mark ? Two of the floorboards in my '13 runabout have it on the underside. Is this a Fisher body mark ? I'm told the body is a Wilson, body number stamped on the seat riser under the cushion begins with a "W".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Thursday, March 16, 2017 - 11:57 am:

I've seen this on several sets of original floorboards, including my Beaudette bodied '14. Interestingly, this same mark shows up on the floorboards of bodies from different manufacturers. I'm guessing that F.B.Co. either supplied front floorboards to a variety of body manufacturers, or directly to Ford. If they were supplied directly to Ford, then the bodies would have been shipped without front floorboards.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Trent Boggess on Thursday, March 16, 2017 - 12:53 pm:

"FBCo" indicates the floorboards were produced by Fisher Body Company, Detroit Michigan. Fisher supplied bodies and body related parts to number of Detroit automobile manufactures during the first two decades of the 20th century. Many touring and runabout bodies, as well as couplet and centerdoor were supplied by Fisher to Ford Motor Company while they were an independent firm. The company was a family owned business, made up of the five Fisher brothers. Fisher was eventually bought by General Motors, who retained the "Body by Fisher" legend until about 1984.

One of the major landmarks on Woodward Avenue in Detroit is the Fisher building, named after its builders and original owners.

Respectfully submitted,

Trent Boggess

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Thursday, March 16, 2017 - 01:45 pm:

Mighty interesting ! Thanks fellows !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Thursday, March 16, 2017 - 02:05 pm:

Interestingly enough, the Fisher Legacy, at least in part, hails from a small town just south of me, Norwalk, Ohio. One of my employees was a descendant of the Fisher family. The hospital there was pretty much built as a result of the philanthropic generosity of the Fisher's. It's naturally named Fisher-Titus Hospital.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Thursday, March 16, 2017 - 02:12 pm:

Same stamp on my '14 Touring front floor boards!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Thursday, March 16, 2017 - 03:38 pm:

When cars were shipped, (usually six per car load) the floorboards were removed (along wish some other parts.) When cars were unloaded, they were re-assembled. It was not uncommon for the floorboards from one car to end up in another. Since there ware a half a dozen different body manufacturers, there could have been a mix of body manufacturers within railcar which could result with a set of Fisher floorboards ending up in a Beaudette body.

So just because a build sheet says a car made with Brown lamps, it could have been sold new with E&J lamps on it that were put on when the car was unloaded and re-assembled!

: ^ )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Thursday, March 16, 2017 - 03:39 pm:

When cars were shipped, (usually six per car load) the floorboards were removed (along wish some other parts.) When cars were unloaded, they were re-assembled. It was not uncommon for the floorboards from one car to end up in another. Since there ware a half a dozen different body manufacturers, there could have been a mix of body manufacturers within rail car which could result with a set of Fisher floorboards ending up in a Wilson body.

So just because a build sheet says a car made with Brown lamps, it could have been sold new with E&J lamps on it that were put on when the car was unloaded and re-assembled!

: ^ )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Thursday, March 16, 2017 - 09:39 pm:

Ford use the wood from parts crates.
My orginal untouched 17 I had years ago even the boards still had the part number and discription of what was in the crate

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Thursday, March 16, 2017 - 11:13 pm:

Wow, Bob. That's really interesting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Friday, March 17, 2017 - 01:24 am:

Stop, it Bob...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Sunday, March 19, 2017 - 09:35 am:

Rich, my floorboard say the same thing, and my body is a Fisher too.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration