Top Bows....

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Top Bows....
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carl Sorenson-Montrose,CO on Thursday, March 16, 2017 - 12:57 pm:

Thanks in advance....
On a 26 Touring were the wood for the top bows originally one piece..? I have four brand new ,in the box,straight pieces ,but not the radius parts that fit into the sockets...I can make them myself ,but wondering if I need to...If they are available...What have others done..???

Carl...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Thursday, March 16, 2017 - 01:40 pm:

What I do for the curved pieces is to use oak veneer. I place layer after layer and heat with a hair drier to fuse the glue. I build up until I have the area full. It also holds tacks very well.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carl Sorenson-Montrose,CO on Thursday, March 16, 2017 - 05:46 pm:

Thanks Norm....
That's what I'll do....I'll have lots of 26/27 questions I imagine..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Menzies on Friday, March 17, 2017 - 07:42 pm:

I re-did my 26 top bows and they were a total of 5 pieces per section. The curved pieces were two equal pieces to fit in the sockets, they are about 11/32" each with an overall thickness of about 11/16". They have a slight taper at the end to fit fully into the socket and secured with rivets. I re-did my '26 bows and steam bent oak to fit in the sockets. I used three pieces as the 11/32 was too difficult to bend at the time. I have made a new bending jig that I will be able to bend the thicker pieces.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Menzies on Friday, March 17, 2017 - 07:43 pm:

Additional photos

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Menzies on Friday, March 17, 2017 - 07:44 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Menzies on Friday, March 17, 2017 - 07:54 pm:

The steam bending was a small challenge but once learned how it was easy thereafter. I used a camp stove with a gallon can of water with a rubber pipe attached into a plywood box where the steaming took place. After about 15 minutes very quickly removed the steamed wood and bent the pieces into a jig, they remain permanent in just seconds, you must work fast. Good luck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Friday, March 17, 2017 - 09:25 pm:

Yes, the center section for the 1923-27 tops used a separate piece of wood across the top joining the curved pieces on each side.

See the 1926-27 touring top bow dimensions at Tony Cimorelli’s Tech corner. (Thank you Dan Treace for posting the link and thank you to Tony who is no longer active but did so much for our hobby.

http://www.cimorelli.com/tech_corner.htm top page for Tony’s Tech site

http://www.cimorelli.com/mtdl/projects/tech_diagrams/tech_diagrams.htm look on the side and select 1926-27 touring top dimensions – those are the original Ford drawings.

Tony has some great photos of his rebuild on his 1923 touring top at: http://www.cimorelli.com/mtdl/projects/bodyopen/touring_top_rebuild/index.html A little different from the 1926-27 but the process will be very similar.

Dan Treace also has great photos on how to build those curved corner pieces using wood lattice strips glued together. He includes measurements. (Thank you again Dan): http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/118802/173560.html?1291318078

Below is a drawing that Phil Meno originally posted with the dimensions for the 1923-1925 touring tops. And Art DeLorenzo filled in the numbers for the 1926-27 after he completed his top rebuilding on his 1926-27 touring. Thank you to both Phil and Art.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration