Who can repaint this data tag?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Who can repaint this data tag?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Richmon - Richmond, VA on Thursday, March 16, 2017 - 04:19 pm:

Hi Fellows, I'm posting this for fellow member Pete Ratledge. He's looking for someone or a service that can do a Quality re-paint on this windshield manufacturer name plate. If you know of a service please give him a shout or email. His contact info is below.
Pete 302-378-9489 or pratledge@aol.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Thursday, March 16, 2017 - 05:03 pm:

I don't know of a service, but you should be able to d it yourself. Paint it and then carefully remove the paint from the raised letters and border. Perhaps blotting paper could be used.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Thursday, March 16, 2017 - 05:37 pm:

1) Strip original paint.

2) Polish with your favorite brass polish.

3) After polishing brass, use lacquer thinner or mineral spirits to remove any waxy film left by polish.

4) Mask off the border with masking tape.

4) Spray paint the tag and let dry.

5) Take some fine rubbing compound and carefully polish the paint off the letters. It helps if you use felt or cloth on wood block to polish the letters with the compound. The flat surface assists in only the letters getting rubbed, not the background.

or

Use some very fine wet/dry sandpaper on a block to remove the paint from the letters.

or

Carefully scrape off paint with an Xacto knife.

(Message edited by Erik_johnson on March 16, 2017)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Thursday, March 16, 2017 - 05:50 pm:

Here's a similar procedure that a fellow used for phonograph nameplates. Paint whole tag and then rub off the highlights with very fine steel wool:

http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=14310

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Thursday, March 16, 2017 - 05:53 pm:

I've got another way. Clean tag. When ready for paint, use a Q Tip to apply a thin coat of Vaseline to just the raised potions that you don't want paint to adhere to. Spray paint and when paint is thoroughly dry, wipe tag with rag.
the Vaseline will keep the paint from sticking to the metal that you don't want painted and will come off with the Vaseline.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Thursday, March 16, 2017 - 08:05 pm:

I've done a number of them. I have used India Ink for the details, with a Rapidiograph pen. When finished, I spray a clear coat of lacquer on the plate. I recently did an early Ruckstell plate for my '13. I started off by sparying black lacquer on the plate, and sanding off the high spots with very fine wet or dry. I finished up the parts I messed up on with the India ink. Came out perfect.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Chochole, Oswego, IL on Thursday, March 16, 2017 - 08:18 pm:

Terry, that's how Earl Scheib, a cut rate auto paint franchise in the midwest, painted cars so fast and cheaply. They smeared Vaseline on the trim and chrome, shot the color and wiped off the Vaseline.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter B. Ratledge on Thursday, March 16, 2017 - 09:17 pm:

Thanks Bob, for posting.
Ever one had good idea's. I contacted Larry Smith
to see if he would help me. The one that was pictured was original. The one on my car at present is a repro. The letters are more pronounced on the original.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration