Welding on Model T frame

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Welding on Model T frame
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glenn W. Beers on Thursday, March 16, 2017 - 07:08 pm:

I need to weld the bottom frame rail where the steering gear bracket is located it has a notch wore at an angle in the frame rail. My question is will welding the frame damage the magnets on the flywheel.

Thanks,
Glenn

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary kmiecik on Thursday, March 16, 2017 - 07:12 pm:

put the ground cable right next to the area your welding and it should be all right.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Thursday, March 16, 2017 - 08:18 pm:

I did the frame on my '10 where some idiot had drilled 2 holes right on top of each other. The spot was just in front of the crankcase arm on the passenger side. I never thought about it affecting the mag and fortunately it didn't!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Raymond Young on Thursday, March 16, 2017 - 11:31 pm:

try this. put your ground close to the weld area. then take a good set of jumper cables and attach them to the frame on either of the ground cable of the welder. make sureall cables have made good contact with the frame. no stray voltage will got away.i do this all the time on equitment with thousands of dollars of electronics,never a problem. Also take the ground cable loose on the battery.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Raymond Young on Thursday, March 16, 2017 - 11:54 pm:

sorry for the mistake. put the jumper cables on either side of the welder ground. good thing my wife did not catch that lack of proofing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lenney Glenn on Friday, March 17, 2017 - 08:26 pm:

Could someone post a photo of "two holes on top of each other"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Friday, March 17, 2017 - 08:33 pm:

Lenney, I would but the second one is hard to see as its smaller than the 1st.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Schrope - Upland, IN on Saturday, March 18, 2017 - 10:10 am:

I wouldn't worry about the arc welder, but welding a T frame with a torch and baling wire is really easy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Sullivan on Saturday, March 18, 2017 - 11:58 am:

And it's period correct. Dave in Bellingham,WA

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Semprez-Templeton, CA on Saturday, March 18, 2017 - 01:32 pm:

Glenn, It's a good practice NOT to attach the welder ground to the mag post. Seriously, though the current flow with an electric welder is very localized, so unless the magneto windings were somehow in the current path, there would be no voltage potential to worry about. Any stray magnetic fields created by the welding process would also be localized around the weld area and harmless.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Saturday, March 18, 2017 - 01:45 pm:

~ Could someone post a photo of "two holes on top of each other" ~

==========================================

But if we increase the size of the penguin to the size of a man ....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JL-SmhFlFoQ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glenn W. Beers on Saturday, March 18, 2017 - 04:03 pm:

Thanks for the input, I welded and ground the frame this morning. Now it is time to pull the head and oil pan to free up the motor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Saturday, March 18, 2017 - 08:20 pm:

Burger, I would post a picture of the two holes on top of each other but I already welded them up! Next time!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration