Rear axle outer dust covers and axle tube questions.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Rear axle outer dust covers and axle tube questions.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Thursday, March 16, 2017 - 09:40 pm:

I've opted to try the new fangled dust covers on this axle repair but intend to use them Old School style with grease on the Hyatts AND neoprene inner axle seals.

dust cover

It appears as tho I'll have just enough room for all the pieces out there in the axle tubes.
These are '15-19 rear axle housings with the 2-3/8" outer tube O.D. The new steel dust caps are only available in the larger (later) size. Yes?
How on Earth have you guys installed the little welch plugs? Do I need them?

dimples

Will the welch plugs upset (get in the way of) the dimple for the bearing sleeve? I don't want that.
The inner O-ring (the upper O-ring in the first pic) in the cap will run right thru the middle of the dimple hole in the housing.

holes

Should I plug these holes? I'm leaning real hard to plug them with sillycones (silicone) or a dab of J-B weld as I don't want any dust/dirt getting in there. Yes, they're on the bottom.

I may be a little ahead of myself as I still haven't checked to see if the housings are straight nor fitted the carrier and axles into the housings yet but I want these issues solved so I only have to take it apart 20 times to fit the thrust bushings.
Thanks much for any input!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Thursday, March 16, 2017 - 10:54 pm:

After install of the sleeves, greased Hyatts , then place the tiny like welch plug tapping it into the hole where the sleeve bump rests, easy to do. Then install new o-ring outer cap, that little plug just allows smooth surface for the cap.

Yes plug those holes in the tubes as someone did that drilling of holes to drain away collected oil or grease which was old day solution to wheel grease leaking.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Thursday, March 16, 2017 - 11:26 pm:

Thanks Dan. Now it makes sense.
I forget the measurements but the plugs are far larger than the holes. I'll prob'ly "shrink" the plugs as I don't wish to drill the holes out to 3/8 plus.
"old day solution" is what I was thinking on those tube holes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Friday, March 17, 2017 - 07:06 am:

I used those end caps on mine to stop a bad leak before rebuild. They work great. May be overkill but I like oil free brakes. I think I will take mine out for a run this weekend. Rub Rub!! Sounds like your about ready to put her back together.
Drive safe and often

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, March 17, 2017 - 05:19 pm:

My take on it would be the plug just floats, like some early engines that used plugs to center the wrist pin. I bet it's more to fill the space to keep the O ring from distorting in the hole.

Never mind! I see that it was covered above. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Friday, March 17, 2017 - 05:28 pm:

Duane, be carefull if you remove those end caps later. When I tore mine down for rebuild one of those plugs came out with the cap and was stuck in the grease. I was looking for them as they were only on for about 2 months. I probably wont remember next time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Friday, March 17, 2017 - 08:00 pm:

Thank you guys!
Checking axle location/centering in the outer housings today/tonight.
I need a taller shed!
Dallas, >:P. Hehehe!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration