Bands too tight?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Bands too tight?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Woods on Thursday, March 16, 2017 - 09:42 pm:

I recently installed my first set of Kevlar bands on a '23 Touring and seem to me e having a bit of trouble.

I have the adjustment nuts almost on the last few threads but the band seem to be dragging.

I did clean and inspect the metal bands prior to installing the Kevlar bands and did not notice any issues with the bands being out of round.

I am using the longer springs. The only thing that is a factor is I followed the install method of the Model T videos and installed them dry. I have been trying to get oil on them but wondering if this may be normal until they are soaked with oil and get run in a bit?

Thanks for any ideas.

David

Bands1Bands2Bands3

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Thursday, March 16, 2017 - 11:20 pm:

I soak them in ATF oil before installing the bands. They soak up a lot of ATF! Putting them in dry is asking for trouble in my book. Way too much drag due to lack of lubrication could also damage the drums.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Friday, March 17, 2017 - 06:43 am:

I feel this is normal, there is a ton of adjusting for the first 100 miles or so. It would have been better to have soaked the bands first. You could probably poor oil on them from the top and let the oil drain out. You may want to do this a few times.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Friday, March 17, 2017 - 07:53 am:

Those same demountable ear bands were used on some early General Motors automatic transmissions.

The only difference is they are about 1/4th to 3/8th inches longer and they do not work well in a Model T transmission.

They do have GM on most of them for an easy identification.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Friday, March 17, 2017 - 10:12 am:

Soaking the bands first in ATF or motor oil probably would have been better in my opinion. That's been the usual thing to do since way back when.
I believe I would pour oil over them. Do this a few times before you tighten the bands up. This way you can be sure your getting oil on the bands and a lot of it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger on Friday, March 17, 2017 - 10:36 am:

there really is no need to soak them unless you really like a slippery mess. Kevlar doesn't absorb a thing, but because it is a woven material, it will hold some oil through capillary action. If you soaked them and then let them sit out overnight, you'd find that they lose nearly all of the oil, especially if you use ATF.

Once they are installed dry, simply pour your oil, slowly over the bands, reserving the last quart for the normal oil filler on the engine.

Start the engine and let idle for a minute or two. Trust me...if you don't think the bands are now thoroughly soaked, then pull the cover and check...they're wet, and you've done your drums no damage.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Syverson on Friday, March 17, 2017 - 10:46 am:

David, just a thought after looking at the one you are holding. When you installed the kevlar on the metal bands did you rivet the two ends first and then work towards the middle, first pressing down the bulge? Your picture makes it look like you started at one end and worked around. If you did, the band material would hug the metal band as well as it could and might cause your dragging. Hopefully not this, just a need to soak them as mentioned.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthonie Boer --- Klaaswaal NL on Friday, March 17, 2017 - 11:13 am:

David ; How I do it ; After I mount the linings, I have to make the bands totally round!!!. Picture one,when I open the [ ears ] of the bands 5/16 , then the band must be free AL Around.
456M
458M
Toon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Friday, March 17, 2017 - 12:06 pm:

I might have missed it, but in looking at your pictures, especially the first picture, it looks like the band lining material is not tight against the metal band.

The correct way to install the material is to leave about 1/4 inches over the end of the band and attach the rivets at both ends first. Then work the band lining in toward the metal band. Then place the other rivets.

If you started at one end and riveted from that end to the other end the material will pull away from the metal between the rivets. In that case you will not be able to get the proper adjustment and the bands will drag.

Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Woods on Saturday, March 18, 2017 - 09:54 am:

Thanks for the feedback.
So just to circle back on the method I used. I installed the bands using the Model T club video in which he installed the bands dry. I did leave aprx a 1/4 at each end and started riveting the bands from the ends and worked the band until it was flat. I have been luring oil on them and loosened them up but really amazed how much drag they but on the drums with so little adjustment on them meaning the nuts are backed off so the threads on the peddle shaft is just shy of being flush.

I will keep putting oil on them to see if it continues to improve.
Thanks and I welcome any other thoughts.

David

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Saturday, March 18, 2017 - 12:33 pm:

Leave the nuts as loose as you can without them falling off and button everything up. Then take the car out for a short drive at low speed. They should set in and you might even need to adjust them tighter. Don't drive for long distances at high speed and only for a very short time until you are sure they do seat in. When everything is finished, your pedal should bottom out about 1 1/2 inch above the floorboard. If the pedal is higher when it bottoms out, they are too tight. Anyway, try that. If it does not fix things, you have another problem.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kohnke Rebabbitting, Clare, Iowa on Saturday, March 18, 2017 - 01:00 pm:

I Agree with Scott Conger. Soaking is a waste of time, on any type of band.

When I am ready to install the bands, I oil can the inside of the band, and that's it.

30 seconds of running, their soaked.

Herm.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration