Model T in local paper

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Model T in local paper
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Horlick in Penn Valley, CA on Friday, March 17, 2017 - 12:48 am:

I was surprised this morning by a call from a friend telling me to look in our local paper. Yesterday upon leaving the local hardware with some supplies to complete a few projects I found myself answering questions about Rusty for a young feller. He did mention he worked for The Union and after the normal questions you always get he put his hardware purchases down and shot some photos with his phone.

I frequent that store so the clerks automatically get out the dog treats for my Border Collie whenever they see Rusty pull into the parking lot. In fact since I've been driving Rusty in our small town for about 20 years he is well known and has been in the paper before.

So today I saw the following filler, I assume it was a slow news day: Click here to see the article on my "daily driver".

TH

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Friday, March 17, 2017 - 01:04 am:

That's too cool. He got some nice pics!
Have you fixed that clocked rear driver's wheel that you've done too many burnouts with? ;-)
Your Rusty is a very cool pickup and thank you sharing. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Horlick in Penn Valley, CA on Friday, March 17, 2017 - 01:13 am:

Duey, the fix was to start looking for a reasonably priced replacement wheel or spokes. I'm waiting for swap meets and am keeping an eye on the wheel. It doesn't, however, keep me from driving.

TH

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James G Fisher III Peachtree City, GA on Friday, March 17, 2017 - 07:45 am:

Very cool and great photos

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James J. Lyons III - West Virginia on Friday, March 17, 2017 - 11:17 am:

I love the vintage look!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Friday, March 17, 2017 - 12:21 pm:

This is like putting poison in the children's drinking water ! Think of all
the evil thoughts you are putting in the minds of all those who see this
mess going down the road, causing lifetimes wasted chasing rusty junk !

There oughta be a law !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Horlick in Penn Valley, CA on Friday, March 17, 2017 - 03:49 pm:

So... I was working on my gyroplane this morning and the phone rings. Mike is on the line, I don't know Mike. He saw my car in the paper and wants to come by and take a ride.

So I just got back from visiting with him. He learned model T driving faster than anyone I've taught so far.

He had lots of stories from his father about having a big right arm from cranking and from arm breaking. He is in his late 70's and had never ridden in a model T. He had a great time and now wants to get a gyroplane, he has thousands of hours in the air. I am a failure however, he wants a '32 Ford not a T!

He did give me a copy of the print article which I haven't seen since I no longer subscribe to the Union.

TH

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Friday, March 17, 2017 - 03:50 pm:

Terry, my friend-

I don't care if was a slow news day or not. It is a nice write up and nice photos.

: ^ )

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Friday, March 17, 2017 - 09:23 pm:

Terry remember the day you got Rusty from uncle Bill
I share this next time I'm there visit
NV bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Warren on Friday, March 17, 2017 - 09:45 pm:

$5.00 FIVE DOLLARS, IS THAT FOR JUST ONE CUP OF TEA OR DO YOU GET REFILLS????? Nice story thanks for sharing. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Warren on Friday, March 17, 2017 - 09:50 pm:

Oh, I forgot, I have a rotocraft also, Benson style. Not to many folks have been in one of those either. :0

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Troy Todd on Saturday, March 18, 2017 - 01:07 am:

I've had mine in a few newspapers. It's always kind of neat. Make sure you save a couple of copies and take a pic of the article to save.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Saturday, March 18, 2017 - 12:46 pm:

Is that the original paint job?
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Saturday, March 18, 2017 - 12:49 pm:

Is that the original paint job?
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Saturday, March 18, 2017 - 01:13 pm:

Rotocraft ?

My old man built what he referred to as "the whirligig" after he came home
from Korea. It was crashed and rebuilt in many "improved" configurations when I
was still small, but basically used a car engine (Hudson six) and a vertical shaft
with a rotor on top, and a small chair attached. I wish I had paid closer attention
to the details when I was little, but he was finally grounded by local law enforcement
for setting fires everywhere he flew from the flaming exhaust (he burned whale
blubber) that was fanned by the prop wash. I was about 6 the last time he flew
it and it just sat in a shed until one day it was just gone. My brother Bingo got
a ride on it once, but I never did.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john f stephens-marcle on Saturday, March 18, 2017 - 01:27 pm:

I L-O-V-E IT!!! do really use it as a daily driver? i'm a newby and hope to use my car for local errands ,as well as club events, yet am some times discouraged by being told they are so fragile....its not road ready yet, I have never had a ride in one either, at 59 yrs old, looking forward to new experiences with my new toy. can't imagine trying this without the knowledge and support of this forum, and the MTFCA and my local chapter, the Tarheel T's....thank you all for all you do to advance the hobby. sign me, proud caretaker of a 1919 centerdoor sedan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Berdan, Bellevue, WA on Saturday, March 18, 2017 - 01:46 pm:

Model T's are not fragile! Never have been. No they don't have airbags and crumple zones but if it runs decent and you have roads that don't require 50+ MPH there is no good reason that you can't drive it. Do your routine maintenance and check the safety stuff and drive it anywhere you feel comfortable.

I hate interstates and heavy traffic but almost anything else is fair game in either my speedster or stock 26 coupe.

Only qualifier is that you may want to check your insurance policy as some companies restrict usage. Some folks claim any drive is either a test drive, car show or some variation of a club event but I prefer to not push that too far. YMMV

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul wilcox germantown wi on Saturday, March 18, 2017 - 02:08 pm:

I say every ride is a test drive. I figure that if it makes it home on its own it is a successful test drive. Some test drives are to the store and others are just for fun

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, March 18, 2017 - 03:22 pm:

Yes, Terry drives Rusty most anytime he has to run into town or to the local pizzaria--unless it's really raining. And YES, that's pretty much the original paint, you can see LAFD on the doors and if you look very closely at the radiator shell, FIRE on the top front. He also has a bumper sticker on the back, "This Vehicle is not Abandoned" When I first met Terry (my in-laws lived just up the street from his office), I put a card in his windshield, " We buy Scrap! Call 1-800 junk it."
Yes, he probably was legitimately getting something at the hardware store that day.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Horlick in Penn Valley, CA on Saturday, March 18, 2017 - 11:21 pm:

I must admit that "daily driver" is a slight overstatement... now that I am retired from what I used to do every day there are occasional days that my home projects keep me home all day and Rusty misses a day. That trip to the hardware store brought home a pine board which I used to make a cope large enough to use to cast a new Subaru bell housing for the gyroplane yesterday after Mike's T lesson. Today I spent the whole day machining the casting... so no Rusty driving today!

A real good reason to live in a small town is so you can drive your T when you need to drive. I feel that if you have to drive why not enjoy it, drive the T. Drive sensibly and all those folks who wave will be using all of their fingers!

IMHO, TH

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration