Seat wood 1915 touring car

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Seat wood 1915 touring car
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neil Kaminar on Friday, March 17, 2017 - 08:52 pm:

I bought an upholstery kit and after removing the rotten 60 year old material there was nothing but thin plywood that the old stuff and springs were attached to. I need pictures, plans, or better still the wood to restore it to original configuration, including tack strips. Both front and back seats. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Neil

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, March 17, 2017 - 09:32 pm:

Go to www.fordwood.com.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Saturday, March 18, 2017 - 12:55 am:

Neil-

I believe on the 1915 upholstery cushion, the welt on the bottom of the skirt crimps into the bottom of the spring. Very good quality reproduction springs (with the channel from crimping the welt) are available. There should be no plywood across the bottom of a Model T cushion.

It is difficult to describe, but do a little searching and you will find some more information...

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/599638/603093.html?1452867706

-Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neil Kaminar on Saturday, March 18, 2017 - 08:00 am:

The wood I am missing are the pieces that are in back of the back spring that hold the back spring and near the bottom and at the sides that I staple the material to.

By the way, I found a shop that makes wood for classic cars that I have been driving past on my way home from work for 3 years. It is Classic Wood Products LLC, 1006 North Raleigh Street in Greensboro, North Carolina 27405. 336 691 1344. Ricky@classicwoodproductsllc.com. http://www.classicwoodproductsllc.com/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Saturday, March 18, 2017 - 08:45 am:

'13s do have plywood on the bottom of the seats.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Dupree on Saturday, March 18, 2017 - 08:52 am:

'15's DO attach the upholstery to the bottom of the seat spring via a thin metal channel. Sounds like you need new seat cushion springs. Do you have a metal or wood lid over the fuel tank? That would be the only wood associated with the seat cushion springs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neil Kaminar on Saturday, March 18, 2017 - 09:22 am:

I am needing the wood uprights that are in back of the back cushion spring. Springs are good. I think there are three upright pieces that the spring attaches to and two or more horizontal pieces that the upholstery material gets stapled to. I do not need anything that goes under the seat cushion that I sit on. I also need the tack strips that go around the top of the seat that the upholstery material gets stapled to.

I think my best bet is going to be Classic Wood Products. I can drive my car there for them to make and install the wood parts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Saturday, March 18, 2017 - 10:02 am:

Neil,

Yes, going to Classic Wood Products which is very close to you and that has been doing this for years is a great idea. You could do it yourself, but they probably can get it done quicker if they are not backed up with orders.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, March 18, 2017 - 10:56 am:

Check the suppliers catalogs for the tack strip. If you go to Fordwood and look at the illustration of the 15-16 touring, he needs No. 190 the 3 vertical rear spring supports/braces. I think the front seat back rest spring just had card board like material behind it if anything, no vertical supports.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neil Kaminar on Saturday, March 18, 2017 - 11:55 am:

I am probably not qualified to steam bend the tack strips, but I could easily make the No. 190 vertical rear spring support/braces, if I could find a picture or plan.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Sherman Tacoma WA on Saturday, March 18, 2017 - 03:58 pm:

Contact Bill Bender in Burien WA. He has some wood material that is very bendable for tack strips.
Paul in Tacoma

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, March 18, 2017 - 06:33 pm:

I think Fordwood sells a modern material that can be hand bent as may others. The wood kits may come in several pieces that are joined together to form the tack rail. Call Lang's and ask.
Have you pulled the plywood out? Maybe they are behind it and all you need to make are the slats that go across that the back rest springs rest on.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neil Kaminar on Sunday, March 19, 2017 - 05:54 am:

I removed the plywood. Nothing there. I did find three screw holes at the top so I know where the original wood was located. I bought some oak yesterday and will make the risers. The bendable plastic is a good idea for the tack strips.

I removed the upholstery from the front seat backrest and more thin plywood, but from what Mark said, I will probably leave it in. I also found an old mouse nest.

Neil

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration