Old Photo - Brass Era - Posing In Their New Ford

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Old Photo - Brass Era - Posing In Their New Ford
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Friday, March 17, 2017 - 10:28 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Cicciarelli on Friday, March 17, 2017 - 11:20 pm:

Ok. So that's a '14. Now is it just my eyes or does anyone else see pin stripes painted on that front wheel?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lenney Glenn on Saturday, March 18, 2017 - 10:06 am:

Are those electric headlights? I have a 13 with very similar electric headlights. There is no markings on them and I would like to know what I have.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lenney Glenn on Saturday, March 18, 2017 - 10:08 am:

Are those electric headlights? I have a 13 with very similar electric headlights. There is no markings on them and I would like to know what I have.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Saturday, March 18, 2017 - 10:27 am:

They could be electric conversions - they still have "smoke" bonnets though. They do however appear to have some type of reflector installed.

Nice '14 !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Saturday, March 18, 2017 - 10:28 am:

If there was a photo of the driver's side, it might show a battery box.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lenney Glenn on Saturday, March 18, 2017 - 10:43 am:

I looked for the smoke bonnet but decided that the small protrusion with the small dot to the left was reflection from the radiator. I am probably wrong. The lights on my 13 are shorter but they have the domed rear.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Saturday, March 18, 2017 - 01:07 pm:

The headlight reflectors are probably one of the many aftermarket sets such as these that run off the magneto,

This is a set of those reflectors I have that have the bulb section easily changed,

The reflector fits the gas light headlight bucket door right next to the glass.

For six bucks you were in business. All you had to do was take out the acetylene burner and run the wires to the mag and dash.

I have John Brown 16's on my '14 which I drove with this morning using a POL tank. In 1914, the Prest-O-Lite tank would have cost more to install on this 1914 than a $6.00 Mag headlight setup like in the picture. Probably why we see so many "electric" lights even though the POL was so much more reliable.

The Prest-O-Lite "B" tank was $18.00 vs the $6.00 mag light set.

I do see the stripes on the wheels. My '14 has Prudden wheels with traces of stripes on them. It seems wheels may have the last part of the car with stripes during calendar 1913.

The gas lamp buckets seem to be the Victor #2 or Corcoran. The front headlight doors in the photo are the "sharp corner" rim with 4 hole bonnet. The side lamps have the more rounded font of the Victor and Corcoran.

Ken in Texas

(Message edited by drkbp on March 18, 2017)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Saturday, March 18, 2017 - 05:14 pm:

Looks like striping to me. I'm wondering why the hubcap centers aren't painted.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Saturday, March 18, 2017 - 06:52 pm:

Hi Ken,

The reflectors you show look much like (just like?) the ones in my '14 and likely installed by the original owner.

The slotted screw secures the bulb socket into the socket holder and provides the ability to move the bulb and it's socket forward and back to allow focusing the bulb.

This is the Improved Model:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Saturday, March 18, 2017 - 08:01 pm:

Anyone have a set of these available ? Would like a set for our '14 Touring.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Saturday, March 18, 2017 - 10:13 pm:

Bill H,

Just like the set I have!

Have you set them in the headlight bucket with the Mangin mirror in place?

The gas burner would have to come out but I think the rear of the bulb socket would probably be OK and the mirror could stay in.

Since I have my acetylene lamps working like they are supposed to, I don't even take the electrics as a backup anymore. Bulbs burn out, gas just burns says the Prest-O-Lite man! No more coming in on a dead battery, I have no generator.

The attraction of electric headlights back in the day would have been that it was less trouble than a carbide generator and cheaper than a Prest-O-Lite tank. The down side seems to have been that the 9-volt bulbs burnt out often due to the AC mag voltage variation and when you burned out one bulb they both were out.....Dark!

Ken in Texas

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration