Brake lever bushing and cam replacement.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Brake lever bushing and cam replacement.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ignacio Valdes on Saturday, March 18, 2017 - 12:42 am:

This is a how to change out worn brake lever bushing and cam. It was easier than I thought it would be and took about 30 minutes. My brake lever bushings on a 1913-14 differential housings were remarkably worn 'wallered' out and needed replacing. These are the 2 rivet early kind, the later ones were one rivet.

The problem is to replace the bushing you have to take the cam and lever apart. But 1) You have to cut off the cam to take it apart. 2) The lever but not the cam is to be reused. The reason you have to cut the cam off is the only way to drive the lever rivets out is to get the lever on a drill press and/or vise to drive the pins out. That is done by drilling the head until it is ready to collapse, then driving it out with a punch.

Cut off the 'sail' part of the cam using an angle grinder parallel to the housing to not damage it. Mine was loose and could be lifted a bit giving a little room to cut it off.
Cutting off the cam.

Cam now cut off.
Cut off cam.

Revealing a very worn out bushing and housing.
Worn out bushing and housing.

To be continued...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ignacio Valdes on Saturday, March 18, 2017 - 12:47 am:

Drive out the bushing with either the new bushing or a bushing driver tool from a vendor.

Bushing driver tool to drive out bushing.

The old brass bushing was very worn.

Worn brass brake lever bushing.

Old brass bushing and new steel bushing side by side.

Old brass bushing and new steel bushing side by side.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ignacio Valdes on Saturday, March 18, 2017 - 12:53 am:

File the edge of the new bushing a little to make it easier to start driving in.

Filing the edge of the new bushing.

Filed.

Filed.

Drive it in with a hammer. 5 pound sledge will work. A superficial crack formed due to the wear making the disk metal thin. Behind this is substantial and not cracked so it should not be a problem. Perfect.

Perfect.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ignacio Valdes on Saturday, March 18, 2017 - 12:58 am:

Oh noooo! Don't cut my rivet heads off! Actually that is probably good advice. Drilling with a drill press so that the peened rivet head collapses when punched is preferred.

Rivet heads.

Drilling rivet head.

Drilling rivet head.

Now use a punch to drive the rivets out.

All out. You are (nearly) home free.

All out.

To be continued...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ignacio Valdes on Saturday, March 18, 2017 - 11:25 pm:

Old parts on the left, new parts on the right. However, I did have to change to a brass bushing on the second one because the steel one was too tight and just mushroomed when I tried to pound it in.

Old cam parts on the left, new ones on the right.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Sunday, March 19, 2017 - 09:10 am:

You did it backwards.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ignacio Valdes on Friday, March 24, 2017 - 11:26 pm:

So I changed to a brass bushing for this 1913-14 housings which was much easier than the steel one. I had already installed the differential on the car and I pushed it in from the back side which is less distance to travel for the bushing and it went in very easily. If the fit of the cam is too tight then a 1/2 inch drill bit will ream it out and the cam will go in and turn easily.

Last is a picture of a very mashed up steel bushing that just wouldn't go in easily. Maybe because for a 1913-14 housing brass was intended for it.

Installed brass brake lever bushing.
Installed brass brake bushing front view.

Reaming out with 1/2 inch drill bit.
Reaming out with 1/2 inch drill bit.
New installed cam and lever.
New installed cam and lever.

Mashed up steel bushing.
Mashed up steel bushing.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration