Common Toolbox Location?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Common Toolbox Location?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Allen - Conroe, TX on Saturday, March 18, 2017 - 12:46 am:

I bought a toolbox for the running board for my 24 Touring at Chickasha and am wondering if there is a standard/common place to mount it on the running board (front or rear, driver's side or passenger side)

Or...if not, what's the place that makes the most sense.

My initial thought is on the running board below the driver since there's no door there on a 24 Touring, but I have seen them on the passenger side.

Any wisdom or advice anyone can offer before I drill some holes (shudder) in this 92 year old car?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Saturday, March 18, 2017 - 01:06 am:

Don-
Under the driver's door is the most common and logical place.

I don't like drilling holes in running boards for things like tool boxes and step plates, so I'd suggest you find a running board that already has a bunch of holes in it. Swap out the running boards and then you(and I) won't feel bad about drilling holes to mount the tool box.

: ^ )

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Saturday, March 18, 2017 - 01:16 am:

Don, you could also place your box where it best suits you, and drill the holes in the box where it coincides with the bolts in the running boards..That's what i did.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Saturday, March 18, 2017 - 01:49 am:

Keith - Awhile back, I mentioned that I was trying to figure out how to mount a tool box sort of like the old accordion type luggage racks that just "clamped" onto the running board. Steve Jelf mentioned that at that time, he was working on that very project and would advise how it turned out. Never did hear from him about it, so after Steve's back from Chickasha (I didn't get to go this year) I'll try to remember to ask him if he ever finished that project. My idea was that I'd like to be able to easily move the tool box from one Model T to another. Yeah, that's why we refer to the hobby as an "affliction",.....I have four of 'em! ....... harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Saturday, March 18, 2017 - 03:25 am:

I equipped my running-boards with storage space in such a way that the three operating doors on my Touring would remain unobstructed. _To that end, I put an accordion rack under the non-operating driver's door and stuck a fairly large, period-looking wicker basket in it. _The basket contains my fire-extinguisher, a first-aid kit, goggles, a jack, a bottle of Windex and some cheap costume props.

For the opposite running-board, I bought a small toolbox which fits between the two operating right-side doors, leaving them completely unobstructed. _The toolbox takes up less than 14 inches of running-board space, so there's plenty of room leftover for feet. _Though the box is small (compared to other running-board toolboxes), it holds all the tools I (or you) need to carry, plus a can of oil, rags, paper towels, etc.

The rest of my cargo—the stuff I'd least like to wind up stolen, like my century-old candlestick phone and funny hat collection—goes in the hidden storage compartment under the rear seat cushion. _I have all the storage space I need.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, March 18, 2017 - 03:39 am:

The "wisdom" of mounting it on the passenger side is that when parked on the normal side, against the curb, you don't have to stick your butt out into traffic to find what you need. Otherwise, I also prefer under the driver's non-door.
I do kind of like the idea of clamping brackets on the tool box. That way, you can move it to suit today's plans (even have one tool box to use on several cars). You would need to be sure the brackets were substantial enough, and clamped tightly enough, so as to not lose the tool box while driving.
One of the nice things about a less-than-perfect model T? Is that after you scratch up the running boards by moving the tool box around. A few minutes on a warm day, a quick sanding with fine sandpaper, and a shot of spray can black and you are done touching it up!
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Saturday, March 18, 2017 - 05:06 am:

There is no need to drill the running board to fit any toolbox. Make a baseboard of timber and bolt it to the running board with two of the running board mounting bolts. Then screw the box to the board.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Saturday, March 18, 2017 - 07:30 am:

The one I have for my '21 already had holes that lined up with the running board bolts on the drivers side.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Warren on Saturday, March 18, 2017 - 09:01 am:

My 26 touring has all the room you need under the seats. That would be front and rear. I know that the 25 and older cars have the fuel tank under the front seat but I think there is plenty of room under the rear seat. On My 25 PU, it has a tool box behind the fuel tank. If you must install the tool box do like John and Allan suggested, use the running board bolt holes even if you have to weld/bolt an extra piece of material metal or wood to the box, no holes required. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, March 18, 2017 - 09:09 am:

Don't drill any holes. When I get home and don't have to use this stupid touch pad I'll give two ways of mounting stuff on the running board.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Saturday, March 18, 2017 - 09:23 am:

I like the idea of drilling the box bottom, not the running board and lining up the holes and using longer carriage bolts. But, then the boxed is fixed in place and cannot be removed easily.
Just thinking out loud here, and have not fleshed it out, but is it a possibility to bolt in a large leather strap to the running board bolt heads and strapping the tool box in place? Then just uncubkling the box lid to open it or to remove it from the car? The box resting on the leather strap in the middle could be balance by two short leather straps of equal thickness on the bottom of the tool box. This would prevent scratching the paint on the running boards as well.

Kinda like the look of the leather hood hold down straps. A wide mens leather belt to play with from the thrift store might be worth an hours work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Claverie, Memphis TN on Saturday, March 18, 2017 - 09:53 am:

Under the driver's non-existent door makes the most sense. That's where mine is.

I worried about trapping moisture and dirt under the tool box, and thereby causing rust. I went to Grainger and got four stand-off mounts for it. They require only small holes in the running board (which I sealed with paint before assembly), and hold the box up high enough to wash under it.

Grainger # 2NPA1 or something like it. There are several to choose from.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Saturday, March 18, 2017 - 10:12 am:

Some of the folks up here in Minnesota remove the clamps from accordion running board luggage racks and install them on the bottom of the tool box.

The accordion racks are plentiful and inexpensive.

Not complicated.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Saturday, March 18, 2017 - 11:26 am:

That really is an excellent idea, Erik. _I'd have done that myself, but there were already holes in my running-board so I just drilled holes in the toolbox to match them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Saturday, March 18, 2017 - 12:42 pm:

Like Erik mentioned above, I used clamps from an accordian type running board luggage rack,modeltkeith bolted them to the bottom of a tool box and mounted it on the right running board just in front of the rear fender on our '26 Roadster Pickup & it works great.

The accordian type running board luggage rack I got the clamps from was all bent up and not much good anyway, but the clamps were fine.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Allen - Conroe, TX on Saturday, March 18, 2017 - 11:48 pm:

UPDATE:

I arrived home with the toolbox and positioned it on the running board under the driver, and almost too amazing to be real....the box had four holes already drilled in it that perfectly lined up with the front four running board mounting bolts!

This toolbox was almost certainly on a Model T in this position at one time.

So, I'll just go get some longer bolts and mount it there. No holes needing to be drilled in anything.

I gave it a quick Penetrol treatment and it matches the car nicely.

Please forgive the poor photo quality. The sun was just about down and I had to lighten the photo quite a bit to get things to show up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Sunday, March 19, 2017 - 08:19 am:

Nice job Don. I had a somewhat similar experience mounting mine yesterday. In deciding where to mount mine, I opted on the passenger side. I figured the two rear running board holes would do, but was happy to see one hole drilled more forward already. Three bolts holding it is plenty secure for me, and I didn't drill any more holes than what was there.

My box is quite a bit newer, maybe 60-70's, but it had "character" so I scuffed it and repainted it and the best part was it was free from our metal dumpster at work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Allen - Conroe, TX on Sunday, March 19, 2017 - 08:20 am:

Looks good Chad. Free is always a great price.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Sunday, March 19, 2017 - 08:33 am:

I'm not sure about yours Don, but I am thinking some fender washers on the inside of my box bolts to spread the load. That tool box metal is alot thinner than the running board metal.

I can't believe how good yours matches the rest of the car. Great score!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Allen - Conroe, TX on Sunday, March 19, 2017 - 08:43 am:

I agree with the need to add some reinforcement inside the box. The tool box metal is pretty thin.

I'm pretty stoked about this box. It not only matches the paint (or lack thereof), but the stamped bead that runs around the perimeter of the lid matches the stamped beads in the body and fenders.

Visually, it looks like it belongs there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Sunday, March 19, 2017 - 09:33 am:

Don, you have inspired me to get mine mounted.
That looks great . What a great match. Chad looks good and great price.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brooks Schlieben on Sunday, March 19, 2017 - 10:22 am:

My running board on the driver's side looks like there may have been a tool box previously mounted, in that there are four holes already drilled. Did Ford supply these originally, or was this considered an aftermarket part? Many thanks to all!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, March 19, 2017 - 10:33 am:

Aftermarket

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Sunday, March 19, 2017 - 12:40 pm:

Don made me do it!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Sunday, March 19, 2017 - 12:41 pm:

This is the other one I carry.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Allen - Conroe, TX on Sunday, March 19, 2017 - 01:33 pm:

Nice. I like it

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration