1927 wire wheel restoration tips needed!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: 1927 wire wheel restoration tips needed!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Ruth on Saturday, March 18, 2017 - 09:50 am:

Hi fellas, I have a really nice set of what I think are either unrestored - or very old restored - 27 wire wheels that while very clean on outside surfaces for rust, have some debris of sorts inside (the bead area perhaps ??).

I say this as when I rotate the wheel I hear loose particles shuffling about inside...
Any advise on taking care of this issue and how to go about is very appreciated as I prefer not to have the wheels sound as though they are a set of maroccos while driving!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Berdan, Bellevue, WA on Saturday, March 18, 2017 - 01:24 pm:

Same issue on the wheels I have on my speedster.

You won't hear it when you are driving. The natural song of a running T will provide a sound mask and centrifugal force will keep the particles pushed to the outer edge of the rim rather than rattling about.

I supposed you could drill some holes and inject some kind of epoxy sealer or similar into the rim edge if you really want to stabilize the stuff.

Depending on how much loose stuff you have floating around, you may find the only way to effectively balance the wheels is to use dynabeads. They work just fine for me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James M. Riedy, Sandusky, Ohio on Saturday, March 18, 2017 - 01:42 pm:

John, I use a method I believe I heard about on this forum. I drilled a 3/16" hole on the inside of the rolled bead shake out what rust you can then using flip-top lid with a piece of ink refill inserted
pnt

on some rust converter paint squirt some into the hole then roll it around to try and cover the entire inside let the excess drip out the hole then just weld the hole shut and grind smooth. When the paint dries it holds the rust and other crud in place and help keep it from happening again. Jim

wld

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, March 18, 2017 - 01:46 pm:

Yes, drill some small holes and pour something like "POR-15" in there to stop further rusting. This is the problem with the rolled bead edge; one cannot see how good or bad the inside surface is.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Ruth on Saturday, March 18, 2017 - 03:26 pm:

David - I see you drilled hole on inside of 1 of the 2 beads - I assume you would drill a 3/16" hole 'both' Left and Right (inside area) of each bead?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Saturday, March 18, 2017 - 04:59 pm:

Drilled two 1/4" holes close to base inside each bead on both sides of the rim. Dust mask and goggles and use air hose to blow out crud rust. Then dripped in POR 15 and then sealed holes with black silicone sealant squirt. The silicone plug just rests against the tire walls anyway. Reduced the rust piece rattles that way. Without doing this those wire wheels sound like swoop swoop Hula Hoops! Remember those?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie Spokane, WA on Saturday, March 18, 2017 - 10:03 pm:

I don't think the rust in the beads hurts anything. In fact the rust probably acts like balance beads and might even be of benefit. If it doesn't, Walt is right. Dynabeads with take care of any imbalance caused by floating rust.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration