OT - photo : When the interstate passes you by

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: OT - photo : When the interstate passes you by
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Saturday, March 18, 2017 - 09:57 am:

This was the only gas station for better than 20 miles on old Highway 30, strategically located at the bottom of Coldwater hill between American Falls Idaho and Raft River. The interstate passed it by nearly 50 years ago. I've watched it decay for at least that long.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Saturday, March 18, 2017 - 12:46 pm:

Wouldn't it be nice to see a picture of it when it was in its' prime with Model T's parked in front?

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Saturday, March 18, 2017 - 01:17 pm:

Nothing to see here, folks. Move along. You must have some retail shopping
to do, a Costco run, some vinyl siding to put up ? Pay no attention to the man
behind the curtain ! Where is your helmet and child safety seat ?

Is that sage I smell ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Saturday, March 18, 2017 - 06:20 pm:

Burger, very close. Today I rode the river channel just a few miles upstream from here with a few friends. With all the winter moisture, the smell of new growth on the sage was absolutely glorious !!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Lyon, PDX, OR. on Saturday, March 18, 2017 - 08:25 pm:

I love the smell of the desert after a rainfall, the sage and greasewood are very aromatic, Don.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Sunday, March 19, 2017 - 09:06 am:

When the interstate passes you by, reminds me of a great Johnny Cash song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9w3kak-I1w

Sad but true though. Tells about a gas station along an old road before the building of the highway

Maryann Anderson wrote: "I love the line "once a big black Cadillac spent seven dollars there". When I was a child (in the 60's) MOST of the time when my dad would pull in a service station for gas all he would get was ONE dollar's worth. That would get about 5 gallons of gas which would last about a week."

When I was a child (in the early 50's) there was Mr. Stamers Mobil station on route 2 in Lexington, but it's long gone now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVgIEWqkw6g

Happy motoring,

Warren

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Sunday, March 19, 2017 - 09:14 am:

Rich, since you live in the area, perhaps you might find an original photo of the station when it was still in operation?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Sunday, March 19, 2017 - 11:50 am:

Good thought Larry, I'll have to see what I can find.
Meanwhile, I "restored" it in this painting I did a few years back. The Pierce is a '31 with a LeBaron body. Now I wish I'd put a Model T in the scene !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Sunday, March 19, 2017 - 12:32 pm:

What a wonderful painting. I hope the battery didn't run down on the Pierce Arrow while you painted it.
Thanks for posting it.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Sunday, March 19, 2017 - 12:55 pm:

Thanks Rich. High praise indeed from you.
That Pierce must have a real good battery - lights are still bright after 15 years!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Sunday, March 19, 2017 - 01:54 pm:

Pics like this always remind me of Twain's "Life on the Mississippi" when a jump on a bend in the river put whole towns inland over night and usually spelled their end. Normally it was nature at work but on occasion unscrupulous folks hired crews to dig out a channel or short cut to cause a jump and give their town the advantage of being on the river.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration