Need help finding a long lost T

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Need help finding a long lost T
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daryl Miles- North Carolina on Saturday, March 18, 2017 - 11:45 am:

I know this a long shot, but I'm hoping there are records somewhere. While digging through some old family stuff, I found a newspaper clipping from 1933, where my Great Grandmother was having a public sale of an assortment of my Great Grandfather's stuff after he died.
She listed a Model T Ford Coupe.
That's all the info!
So, here goes...
His name was Bailey Johnson from LeLoup, Kansas.
The sale was held by Mary Johnson on Tuesday, Dec. 12, 1933.
Are there any archives that I can search for to find what, when and where a new T Coupe was purchased by Mr. Bailey Johnson? The closest "Big City" is Kansas City and the next closest town is Wellsville

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daryl Miles- North Carolina on Saturday, March 18, 2017 - 11:49 am:

I just realized that it was an auction and the Auctioneer's name was Steve Day, a Wellsville bank clerk

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Saturday, March 18, 2017 - 12:45 pm:

Searching in google for "wellsville ks newspaper" I found this:

http://www.ottawaherald.com/

You might try contacting the newspaper to see if they have archives that can be searched (or just if they are willing to help you).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daryl Miles- North Carolina on Saturday, March 18, 2017 - 02:33 pm:

Thanks Dick. I realized that its a handbill, not a newspaper clipping, however, the obits are from "The Wellsville Globe". His obit states that he was one of the first people to own a car in Franklin county!
Unfortunately, with all the old photos and records, nothing about his Model T. I'll keep searching...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Saturday, March 18, 2017 - 03:15 pm:

It appears that the Wellsville Globe ceased publication in 1978.

http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn/sn84029906/

The Ottawa Herald is now the paper that covers Wellsville. They might have old archives.

I found Bailey Johnson in a public member tree in ancestry.com. He was born in Kansas on October 29, 1867 and died on December 3, 1933. He lived in Franklin County and had a son, Albert D. Johnson, born in 1896, death unknown, who lived in Wellsville in the 1910 census.

Google also turned up some David Johnsons now living in Wellsville. Possible family. Probably worth a try....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daryl Miles- North Carolina on Saturday, March 18, 2017 - 03:52 pm:

Thanks, I'll search the Ottawa paper too...Albert was my Grandpa, died in '64. I also posted a question on the Ford (Ask) website if there are records of buyers from way back when...

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration