Was there a left foot rest (like a peg) that helped in finding neutral from high pedal?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Was there a left foot rest (like a peg) that helped in finding neutral from high pedal?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Blanchard on Saturday, March 18, 2017 - 08:42 pm:

Hey guys,

So I have been driving my T every weekend and sometimes to drop off the kids at school. I am getting used to finding neutral from high when coasting (by sound) but it made me wonder if there was ever an accessory type of foot rest that when you push the high down to neutral you would feel it and take the guess work out of finding neutral.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Saturday, March 18, 2017 - 09:10 pm:

Pull the E brake handle back halfway, it does the same thing. :-) Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Saturday, March 18, 2017 - 09:48 pm:

I can sense it with my foot/ankle/calf.

When you first push the clutch pedal, all you are doing is activating the clutch linkage. You are literally putting in the clutch. The only thing that is providing tension or resistance is the clutch spring.

If you continue to push the pedal, once you get to a certain point, the cams in the hogshead and on the pedal shaft cause the band to tighten on the low speed drum. You should now feel additional tension or resistance provided by the band spring, the band lining and the band itself. In other words, at the point where the cams start "taking over" you should notice an increase in tension compared to being simply in neutral.

Remove your floorboards and move the pedal with your hand. Notice what I am describing above and see how you have to put substantially more pressure on the pedal to go from neutral to low.

You should also notice that there is some leeway in pedal position for neutral to the point where the low band starts tightening.

A way to demonstrate the amount of leeway available is pull the brake handle all the way back. Then, push the pedal with your hand or foot. Notice that you can easily push the pedal forward until the point where the cams start engaging and the band starts tightening.

Hope this makes sense.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Sunday, March 19, 2017 - 05:31 am:

To answer the original question.......I am not aware of one. Maybe one of the accessory guys would know for sure. I suppose it is possible, but it would have to have been adjustable and probably readjusted every time the clutch/bands were adjusted.

Finding neutral is not hard, once you get used to it. Erik is right on track with his description.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen, South Texas on Sunday, March 19, 2017 - 09:03 am:

Right on track as long as there's no worn parts in the clutch assembly parts. It can get a little sticky then. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Sunday, March 19, 2017 - 09:47 am:

Yes. Kum-Ford Klutch accessory pedal made to hold neutral temporary and tap to release.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Blanchard on Sunday, March 19, 2017 - 02:40 pm:

Thanks Dan! Exactly what I wanted to know... since they had sooooo many accessories (which I love to see) I found it strange that there was not one for finding neutral (although we all know all we have to do is pull the hand break back)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Sunday, March 19, 2017 - 04:59 pm:

Dan, That's neat. Any pics of it installed and how it works?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Monday, March 20, 2017 - 09:02 pm:

Gary

Photo from Jay's accessory of the day posts. Also has original instructions shown:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/179374/182868.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Monday, March 20, 2017 - 11:39 pm:

As others here have said, it's amazing to see all the aftermarket goodies that were produced for our T's. Thanks to Jay and Dan and all the others for chronicling all the old gizmos. As far as this Kumford Klutch goes, I have enough problems trusting that my brain conveys the right information to my left foot in times of uncertainty without letting this contraption do it for me. I almost ran it through the end of my shed a few times when i first got it without any help. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Tuesday, March 21, 2017 - 10:43 pm:

Thanks Dan.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration