Speeding ticket

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Speeding ticket
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Sunday, March 19, 2017 - 09:10 am:

In the past five months I have received two speeding tickets in my modern car. One was going 60 on a highway where the local town reduced the speed to 45 on a three mile stretch. I missed the sign and got sucked into that speed trap.

Then most recently I was just getting into a highway and the first mile was 45 then turned to 55. I got on and went right to 55. Now I am being extra careful and putting my car on cruise control at the appropriate speed immediately after seeing the signs. Turns out I am now the slowest car on the road.

So here is the thing ... before I sold my speedster I was driving it nearly every day. Forty miles an hour in a model T with no doors or windshield feels like seventy five miles an hour. So when I get into my modern car I feel like I'm doing thirty when I'm actually going sixty. Very easy to get yourself in trouble.

Kinda like typing on my computer at work on a Monday after being on an iPad on the weekends. Can't seem to hit the right keys. :-)

The joke around the house right now is that by the time I get the "new" T on the road this summer .... I won't actually have a license to drive it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Sunday, March 19, 2017 - 12:02 pm:

The guy I sold my old speedster to got a ticket for 92 mph. And he had slowed down!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Sunday, March 19, 2017 - 02:57 pm:

Mark know that feeling
But for me usualy get pulled over as they want look at the car gotton me out of couple speeding tickets
Around town.
I tell them no speedo and I got do it old way doing math and time counting distance between telephone polls

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Sunday, March 19, 2017 - 04:52 pm:

Bob. That reminds me of the time I bought a used Suburban. My wife dropped me off to pick it up and I soon lost her in the mirror on the way home. She asked me why I was going so fast. I said I was doing the limit but she said I took off like an impregnated monkey. I took it out on the highway and counted mile markers relative to my odometer. Seems I was doing around 70 but speedo said closer to 55. Seems some previous owner had changed to rear end ratio without changing the tranny speedo gear.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Sunday, March 19, 2017 - 05:39 pm:

I took my new Speedster to the CHP headquarters to get a vin number. On the way out some papers flew off an I pulled over to retrieve them. A motorcycle officer was coming up from the opposite direction . He did a 180 and pulled up behind me and ask if he could take a picture.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Sunday, March 19, 2017 - 05:58 pm:

Hmm ... not really about getting a ticket in our model Ts. More about the sensation of speed in a model T ... and then driving our modern cars faster than we realize.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Sunday, March 19, 2017 - 07:10 pm:

Many years ago I had a 53 Ford V8 with Fordomatic. It was very sluggish and slow. A friend had a 6 cylinder Ford with stick and could do circles around me. I changed the rear differential gear ratio to a lower ratio and gained a lot of low speed pick up. But the speedometer was way off. I knew that I was going slower than it read, so I didn't pay any attention to what it said. The first ticket came on a morning when the fog was on the windshield and the wiper was smearing an oily substance. I pulled over to clean the windshield when I came to a town. When I got out, an officer came up and asked, "do you know why I pulled you over?" I said I didn't even know you were behind me. I had stopped to clean the windshield. He said I was going 45 in a 35 mile zone and 35 in a 25 mile zone. I had just taken my foot off the gas when I came to the city limits and slowed to a stop! He gave me a ticket.

Later that same day I told my wife there was a cop behind me. She turned around and looked and he flashed his light. He also gave me a speeding ticket.

Then I got a letter from the DMV which said if I got any more tickets my license would be suspended. And my insurance co canceled the policy. I had to go through the "Assigned Risk" system and actually got insurance for a lower price than before and when that policy expired the company sent me a letter and said they would like to keep me as a customer.

That happened in 1958. I have not gotten a speeding ticket since!
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Sunday, March 19, 2017 - 09:03 pm:

Gary H that's good
Only other time I was stopped in my dad's 11 at dusk cop came up said just a "warning" you have a loose wire in your taillight it keep flickering.
I replied I turn up the wick.
The cop thought I was being funny and when I went to crank it back up I looked the cop straight in the eye said got a match I should turn on the headlights. He cracked a smile and followed me home
Came back for a ride on his days off and I used him several times verify a Vin number we become friends
Some

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Sunday, March 19, 2017 - 10:03 pm:

I bought a used police car back in the early 80's. It had a certified speedometer which meant it was supposed to be accurate. It was off by 10 MPH. I never told my wife,that way I could speed and she did not know it. The State Patrol pulled her over for going 10 over, she argued that it was a certified speedometer, with no luck. She got a ticket, came home and told me how mad she was at that cop then I decided to come clean and tell the truth. She was then madder at me then the cop.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Codman on Wednesday, March 22, 2017 - 10:28 am:

Mark, If you want to see an about 80 mile-long speed trap, try Rt 301 in Florida from Interstate 10 south to near Gainesville. In the 80ish miles I counted more then 70 speed limit changes. And they do enforce the limits.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach, CA on Wednesday, March 22, 2017 - 11:05 am:

They do that in Arizona between Needles CA and Bullhead City AZ. It is a strait two lane 40 mile long country road and it changes between 55 and 25 miles an hour at will. In Long Beach CA the freeway ends near down town Long Beach and they have a sign that reads freeway ends reduce speed. Then about a quarter of a mile later as you go down a hill they state that the speedlimit is 45 miles an hour so you down shift but the hill maintains your speed at 45 and then about 100 yards later it is 25. The police sit at the bottom of that hill with radar guns and make money for the city.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darel J. Leipold on Wednesday, March 22, 2017 - 11:27 am:

On old Hwy 30 in Nebraska there was a stretch posted at 50 MPH. In a spot hidden by trees 6 or 7 Hwy Patrol cars would sit. I knew about that spot and always slowed to 50 MPH. Cars would pass me and down the road I would see them pulled over. The fine was 20 dollars and the police always had change and would take a check.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert L. Rogers on Wednesday, March 22, 2017 - 01:13 pm:

I used to have a lead foot and also a CDL for when I drove a school bus. Whenever I was stopped for speeding, the officer would always say "School bus driver? I don't know how you guys can do that." Then shake his head and let me off with a verbal warning. Happened numerous times and that really irritated my wife (she never got the warning but a ticket)!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Perkins / St. Croix Valley Mn on Wednesday, March 22, 2017 - 06:00 pm:

Mark....someone (Jay Leno?) said it is more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow......that is why it is so much fun in a T speedster!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Eddie on Wednesday, March 22, 2017 - 06:19 pm:

A couple years ago my wife and I loaded our RV and headed south from Canada to Arizona for a winter holiday. After a couple of long days behind the wheel I asked her to drive while I took a nap.
When I awoke an hr or so later she was chucking, apparently when she came to the first hwy speed sign, she set the cruise control to 75 . A moment later the first car past her like she was standing still. What is this guys problem ?? after another 4 or 5 vehicles did the same thing she realized the US signs are in MPH....
where at home ours are posted in Kilometers per hr

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration