Front wheel dust cap

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Front wheel dust cap
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Sunday, March 19, 2017 - 02:47 pm:

Is there a special trick to installing the original style front wheel bearing dust cap? I've tried everything and that booger just doesn't want to go on! I've tried the modern neoprene style, but it sure seems like it fits too loose so I bought the original type with the felt washer but darned if I can get it on. Any suggestions?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Sunday, March 19, 2017 - 03:55 pm:

May be your inner front hub is wallowed out and dust seal is loose? Use some adhesive around the rim of the dust seal

That seal has to fit sung into the hub but also sit tight against the ringed edge of the inner taper bearing cone to provide seal. Fit inner cup race all the way into the hub. Grease the inner taper bearing then press on the seal before install of the front hub on the spindle.

Ford design allows that inner taper bearing cone be slide on fit not loose fit from a worn spindle bearing surface. When correct the seal won't turn when that taper bearing turns as it's the cone that is fixed on the spindle.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration