TT Ruckstell, where to fill.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: TT Ruckstell, where to fill.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jay on Sunday, March 19, 2017 - 04:47 pm:

'26 TT truck.
A newbie just being sure and wanting to learn.
Using 85-140 gear oil per Forum posts.
The manual says about 2 quarts but doesn't show the fill location.
There are 3 close up plugs.
Plug A: at the top on the end cap of the worm shaft.
Plug B: at about the middle edge of the right differential housing.
Plug 3: drain at the very bottom of the right differential housing.

Do I fill at Plug A or Plug B hole?
Thank you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Sunday, March 19, 2017 - 05:01 pm:

Fill to Plug B using Plug A.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin H. - Western PA on Sunday, March 19, 2017 - 05:44 pm:

Or just put a little bit in A to lube up the thrust bearing and then fill directly in B. You'll want to keep the level just about an inch below the level of the B plug.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Sunday, March 19, 2017 - 06:03 pm:

I don't think plug A was meant to fill the rearend, at least it wouldn't on my TT. I think it's just meant to lube the thrust bearing, as Justin said. I got a street L and screwed it in the filler hole(B) and filled it that way because all I had was a gallon jug of lube and had to poor it in. Then, removed the L and replaced the plug. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Sunday, March 19, 2017 - 07:13 pm:

Justin and David are correct. My TT is an early one and does not have Plug A. I just wasn't thinking. :-(

David is right about the fact that it can be a little difficult to get lube to go in the Plug B hole. I made up a gizmo using a small funnel, a piece of tubing and a hose clamp. It works pretty well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jay on Monday, March 20, 2017 - 08:34 am:

Thank you everyone. I'll fill today.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Monday, March 20, 2017 - 11:25 am:

Flip the truck over and use the drain plug ? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jay on Monday, March 20, 2017 - 09:27 pm:

I didn't flip the truck over on its topside, didn't want to get the roofing material scuffed. Instead, I removed the entire driveline using pliers and a hammer, left both wheels on for balance, stood it up on the driveshaft, don't own any wrenches to remove the plugs, instead drilled a hole in the left axle tube and filled it with a gallon of 2 stroke engine oil, duct taped the hole so the oil won't leak out. But now I forgot how to put it all back together...lol lol lol :-) :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Monday, March 20, 2017 - 10:16 pm:

Jay
Put a little JB weld on all the parts and stick them together. No tools needed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Tuesday, March 21, 2017 - 12:10 am:

JB Weld and duct tape, ... it's in the manual ! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jeff cordes on Tuesday, March 21, 2017 - 10:22 am:

I leave the street 90 in the fill hole for easy filling later.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration