Tractor Conversion Front Axle Question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Tractor Conversion Front Axle Question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Strickling on Sunday, March 19, 2017 - 08:05 pm:

Here's a questions for you tractor conversion guys. If the front axles were shortened, were they also altered to eliminate TOE IN ? Are they still flat on the bottom or do they have a V appearance. I am thinking of building a tractor that would have about 3" wide steel wheels on the FRONT and don't think a steel wheel should have toe in. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Sunday, March 19, 2017 - 08:20 pm:

Tom,

I think you are referring to the camber. I can't speak for production built ones--like a Shaw. On mine (which was home built long long ago), it is somewhat flat and still retains more or less the factory camber.

I am in the midst of parts collecting for a smaller garden tractor build, and the axle I shortened I plan to straighten it. I got in a hurry one day and welded it forgetting I wanted to straighten the camber so I'll have to cut it back apart.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Strickling on Sunday, March 19, 2017 - 08:47 pm:

thanks Chad

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Tuesday, March 21, 2017 - 08:04 am:

All mine are narrowed and still have the camber.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Strickling on Tuesday, March 21, 2017 - 08:23 am:

Rubber or steel on the front Ron?
Are they homemade units or period Kits?
Thank you

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Tuesday, March 21, 2017 - 08:58 am:

Tom - all of them are rubber. One is a kit (Shaw), one completely farmer made and one that was (supposedly) part of a group of 30 made by a small company in Pennsylvania out of Ts and horse drawn mowers.

All pictured in my profile.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Tuesday, March 21, 2017 - 09:07 am:

You bring up an interesting point on the steel fronts however. Might be an issue with wide turf wheels. A friend of mine has a couple of T Worthingtons with the wide, steel turf wheels - will have to look at the camber on them the next time he brings one to a show or plow day.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Strickling on Tuesday, March 21, 2017 - 09:49 pm:

Thanks Ron

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration