Handbrake cast cam

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Handbrake cast cam
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Woods on Sunday, March 19, 2017 - 09:08 pm:

Just wondering if anyone has a better idea for the bolt that rides on the handbrake cast cam. If you see in the photos my '23 Touring cast cam has a huge gouge from the adjustment bolt digging it in over the years. I ended up replacing the entire assembly with a good used one but wondered if anyone has a better solution to avoid this?

Thanks!
Cam1
I put a straight edge across to help show how deep this is
Cam2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Sunday, March 19, 2017 - 09:14 pm:

Only thing I have done is brazen it up and grind it smooth

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Sunday, March 19, 2017 - 09:14 pm:

Hi David,

Oh my, that is quite worn.

I insert the bolt from the bottom of the clutch lever and that spreads out the pressure and the wear. Sure, there will still be wear, but it takes longer and an occasional dab of grease helps.

Yes, not the way the Ford manual instructs us, but then they never expected these cars to still be on the road after all of these years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Sunday, March 19, 2017 - 09:16 pm:

Flip the bolt upside down and round the corners of the head so it is a gentle curve--I used a grinder to do this. Grease liberally and often.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Sunday, March 19, 2017 - 09:17 pm:

Bill is a faster typer than me, LOL.

Also forgot to mention I still keep the locknut on the top side

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Sunday, March 19, 2017 - 09:41 pm:

I don't think that is a cast cam. It looks like the later pressed steel ones. If it is the steel on it can be easily wire welded and ground back to close to original.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Hood -Long Beach, California on Monday, March 20, 2017 - 02:18 am:

I used a carriage bolt up from the bottom. The rounded head works well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale Peterson College Place, WA on Monday, March 20, 2017 - 02:36 am:

Don't just pull the handle back, use the peddle to get neutral, then bring up the hand lever to hold neutral. That keeps the end of the bolt or the head if it is tuned over, from unnecessarily digging the cam.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration