Frozen crank handle grip on 1926 crank finally spins.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Frozen crank handle grip on 1926 crank finally spins.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick in Florida on Sunday, March 19, 2017 - 10:35 pm:

Several weeks ago, there was a thread in which I discovered the grip on my 1926 crank was supposed to spin. Apparently, over many years exposed to the elements, the grip rusted in place and I did not know it was supposed to spin freely, so I went out and emptied a can of "PB Blaster" into a small 2 gallon plastic bucket and positioned the bucket on a block with the crank handle grip in the bottom of the bucket covered by the "PB Blaster". Finally, after a month, of checking and tapping all around the grip with a brass hammer to break up the rust inside the grip, the "Blaster" did its' magic and the crank handle grip now spins freely. Now all I need to do is re-prime and re-paint the handle with Imron. Without this Forum, I would never have known. Thank you, Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eubanks, Powell, TN on Monday, March 20, 2017 - 09:00 am:

I have found heating to a red color with a torch will do the same thing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Monday, March 20, 2017 - 11:28 am:

That frozen grip makes cranking a bit hard on the hand, especially if
your vehicle needs a bunch of cranking to start !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Monday, March 20, 2017 - 04:30 pm:

Yeah, no kidding. I still have to free up mine.

Until I started the thread to ask about it, part of me wondered if men back then really were that tough!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Monday, March 20, 2017 - 04:55 pm:

I have owned at least 2 dozen of these, and never had one yet that would spin... but with electric start in my running cars, I never cared much.

When I didn't have electric start in my old '23 roadster, I put an earlier crank handle on it. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Monday, March 20, 2017 - 11:44 pm:

Mine came to me with no grip on the handle. I didn't know any better,
and being totally green on T's, I wasn't very good at starting one in the
first place, so a LOT of cranking was going on. Wore my palm to a very
sore state, .... and I work with my hands. Well calloused. Somehow, it
came to my attention these grips were supposed to be there and when
asked, the previous owner said he put the grip in the cab pocket. I went
and had a look and shur-nuff, there it was. I did a little torch and metal
sculpting to get it to stay on, and it has been a pleasure to crank start it
ever since. Well, ... "pleasure" might be a little excessive in expressing
my joyful exuberance. :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration