Post your photos of Chickasha finds, or at least your favorite find ..

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Post your photos of Chickasha finds, or at least your favorite find ..
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Monday, March 20, 2017 - 05:17 pm:

The other thread is getting too long. So here are my finds for this year. Would love to see at least your favorite find.

This is my favorite find. It is made to work like the old canvas water bags. Evaporation of the water seeping thru the canvas cools the water and things inside the box. It is designed to clamp to a running board.

About 1/2 are Champion X or Champion "Ford". bought for aprox two to three dollars apiece.

NOS original bands No Cantex tar babies.

NOS New Day timers

These are for the speedster project.

Just a bunch of neat things..

I think this is multi-fuel (gas and kerosene) Ill try and post a separate thread about it later.

I bought these shocks from Royce. I hope they will work on the rear of the speedster project.

A bunch of Ford script battery caps.

A bunch of accessory timers. (some NOS) I do not have any of these in my collection.

Some more NOS accessories for the collection

A unique radiator shell. Does anyone know what it is. It does not appear to be "factory made" like in a big Ford, Chevrolet, Maxwell, or other factory. But it does appear to be "professionally made. I was thinking maybe Ames or some other accessory body company .????

This is a unique Moto-meter. I bought it for the flip cap style dog bone. I thought the moto-meter was just parts or scrap since there are no rims or glass lens. But after looking close I noticed it never had any rims or glass lens. Has any one ever seen one of the "open" type moto-meters.?? I talked to several vendors that have lots of moto-meters and radiator caps. Only one of them had ever seen a "open" type before.

That's about it for my treasure finds. I did not look as close this year as Im getting older and slower. But the finds are still out there. A person just needs to get there early and dig down in the boxes. ....

(Message edited by dobro1956 on March 20, 2017)

(Message edited by dobro1956 on March 20, 2017)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, March 20, 2017 - 06:12 pm:

Donnie, if some of those battery caps still have their threaded bottoms (most get broken off), I would like to get three of them, please PM me with your asking price including shipping, thanks! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Chillingworth on Monday, March 20, 2017 - 06:39 pm:

An early steering bracket caught my eye. It was tagged as a 1913-15 because of the raised part number in the casting and I got it at a very reasonable price. But, something wasn't right because all the others I'd seen had the raised number up on the barrel, not in the recess (see next pic).

A little research revealed the bracket I acquired is actually the predecessor to the '13-15 and was used 1911-13. I won't reveal who I got it from, but he most likely knew the difference, but apparently overlooked it.

Rich C.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Monday, March 20, 2017 - 06:46 pm:

Rich, Nice find. That is why I dig deep in the rusty parts boxes. Sometimes a nice rare part is mixed in with the junk. Or sometimes the part is just not recognized for what it is. Its the little deals and finds that make swap meets fun....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Monday, March 20, 2017 - 07:02 pm:

My two biggest purchases at Chickasha

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, March 20, 2017 - 10:21 pm:

You guys are going to make me go cry in my little corner!
Great stuff!
Donnie B, The radiator shell is made similar to the Lawco shell that is on Ed Archer's number 4! The lower panel is TOTALLY different, and may have been altered, or a different model. His shell (and I think yours originally) was made to modernize the old fashion brass radiator, and should fit nicely over one. On his, the Lawco name is pressed/stamped in from the back side (raised letters) from the factory. The name is only less than two inches long, and about a half inch tall on the narrow trim panel that should be in front of the brass radiator's bottom tank. The ring piece that goes over the radiator neck should fit close around the threaded part of the neck, and not nearly down to the top tank. As similar as yours looks? It is not quite the same as Ed's. His has some holes near the bottom of the top panel (vents?) that generally not seen by a standing adult. I think the shape of the top panel is slightly different also. I believe yours is a little flatter.
I am curious about the large lower panel. I can see no real purpose for it as a common brass radiator upgrade. That makes me wonder about other possibilities. Like maybe it was added later? Could have been done for something done for a speedster? I recall several cars of the mid-teens with similar styled radiator shells (Maxwell and Paige among others). But I don't recall any with a lower panel like that.
Several companies made similar shells to upgrade your brass Ford, and they were fairly popular from about 1913 until USA entrance into the great war.

The flip-top radiator cap looks identical one I had years ago. I really liked it, but had trouble with the gasket between the upper and lower parts of the cap. I cannot recall at the moment how I finally fixed it. I no longer have it, must have been on a car I sold.
The Motometer is one of my favorites. Not one of the earliest models, but early nonetheless, and fairly rare and desirable. That style is shown as being available into the early '20s, but mostly dropped out of favor by 1920. They show up as early as 1915, and are similar to the earliest ones about 1913. Most early ones had either no front or rear glass, or a few had front glass only.

Overall, you haul looks fantastic!
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Monday, March 20, 2017 - 11:23 pm:

I didn't pick up much, but a few things caught my eye and I decided to get a little. 26'27 jack (nobody had a jack handle, Some coilboc springs from John Reagan and a sacrificial anode.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Tuesday, March 21, 2017 - 12:08 am:

I got this nice toenail clipper for the kids.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Tuesday, March 21, 2017 - 01:20 am:

Derek. I wondered who bought the speedster body. That is a nice looking body. Im not sure if you met the man making the Rajo rocker arm parts. He was set up in the south building. I could be wrong but I think he has the castings for the rockers and the towers for the Rajo Model A 4 valve. Here is a pic of his contact info.

Wayne, Thanks for the info about the moto-meter. Ill do some research about the early models of the moto-meters. As to the grill shell. I have a LAWACO like the one you describe. Mine is just like Ed Archers. This shell is similar to a LAWCO shell but does not have the overhang with the holes in the bottom for vents. I think the bottom skirt may be added, but its hard to say for sure. The manufacturing techniques are consistant with the way accessory body makers of the time used.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Tuesday, March 21, 2017 - 01:34 am:

(Message edited by dobro1956 on March 21, 2017)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale Peterson College Place, WA on Tuesday, March 21, 2017 - 03:16 am:

Burger, that is a knife for cutting hay out of a loose hay stack, neat!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Tuesday, March 21, 2017 - 06:05 am:

Donnie, he had Frontenac rockers and stands.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Tuesday, March 21, 2017 - 07:40 am:

Rich, can you point me in the direction of your research on the steering brackets? I may have the wrong one on my 1912 Chocolate van, and the correct one in my swap meet stuff.

Perhaps you have saved my bacon.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Henrichs on Tuesday, March 21, 2017 - 07:57 am:

Hi Donnie,

In regards to the motometer, I have one on my 19 roadster. Came with the car (whole history behind that). It does have the glass in front and is smaller than the typical motometer. I had to rebuild it with a new "mercury" tube and have the housing replated. Always thought it was neat--never have seen another one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Chillingworth on Tuesday, March 21, 2017 - 09:25 am:

Allen -- The MTFCI Judging Guidelines book has a section of reprints of "All the Same, Huh!", originally published in the Model T Times magazine.
Within that section is a review of the different steering brackets, with pictures, used throughout the years of production.
Rich C.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Tuesday, March 21, 2017 - 12:44 pm:

Dale,

Don't tell the kids that !

Want to motivate kids to self initiate ? Offer them an "alternative"!

Sure, I'll keep those trimmed for you. Got a special tool for that
right here ! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Tuesday, March 21, 2017 - 01:30 pm:

Donnie, Here's a link to past threads on the KMC combo manifold gas/kero unit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Tuesday, March 21, 2017 - 02:20 pm:

Derek, You are probably correct. I knew he had the Frontenac parts, but I thought we also talked about the Rajo Model A 4 valve. Dang it. Its tough getting old timers. :-( I was also in Model T parts overload mode at the time .... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry LaPatka- East Tennessee on Tuesday, March 21, 2017 - 04:59 pm:

Donnie,
Sent you a P/M
Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Tuesday, March 21, 2017 - 05:11 pm:

Thanks Rich.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerome Hoffman, Hays Kansas on Wednesday, March 22, 2017 - 12:20 am:

Yep, We talked about some 4valve RAJO rockers.....seems that was the second thing most talked about. I've added them to my list of things to look into. I now just have to find someone with one to use as a pattern.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Wednesday, March 22, 2017 - 02:32 am:

Jerome, Thanks for the post. Maybe Im not losing my mind after all . :-) (maybe)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, March 24, 2017 - 04:52 pm:

It took awhile, but at last I unloaded this year's Chickasha haul and got some pictures.

Plugs: Most were $2. I'm kicking myself over the two that got away. There was a pair of very nice early Champion X plugs priced at $10 each. By by the time I talked myself into blowing that much dough they were gone. Here are the ones I did get.

The two white polonium plugs and the three pink ones were $2 each. (The boxes came with the white ones.)

The Wards and the Splitdorfs were $2 each. The big expense was the set of Full Spark for $15.

All the Champion X were $2. Some of them look pretty nasty, but cleaned up they will be lovely.

Petcocks were $1 each.

I blew $30 on valve stems and bridge washers.

The Hayes rim was $5, the soldering iron was $2, the two front hubs $3 each, the bronze Holley G body $15, and the two reverse drums were $5 each
If the drums are OK they were a great deal, and if they both have cracks I'm out only ten bucks.

Twenty spindle nuts were $13.

This may be the best thing I bought. I started picking through this looking for the best ones, and asked the kid how much. When he gave me a price per pound I handed him the container and told him to weigh the whole thing. I ended up with ten pounds of original Model T bolts and castle nuts. I am a happy camper.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darel J. Leipold on Friday, March 24, 2017 - 06:12 pm:

WAYNE. THE MOTO METER IS AN EARLY ONE. I HAVE ONE IN MY COLLECTION. I believe, with out checking, that the address is also different from the later ones, at least I remember that the company was an off shoot of the Taylor Thermometer Co. The company moved after a few years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Friday, March 24, 2017 - 07:28 pm:

Steve, you can thank me for not buying those pink and white Firestone plugs. I saw them in the box where you were looking, decided I shouldn't pick them out of the box you were digging things out of. Great score!! I was amazed they were still there that late in the day.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Friday, March 24, 2017 - 08:36 pm:

I have to say Steve J. you got some good deals. You came out NICE on the jug of bolts you picked up. I always look for that stuff myself.
Just wondering if you saw any Blue Crown plugs for T's. I have 3 but I'm always on the look out for a few more. They look sharp with the blue on the porcelain.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Friday, March 24, 2017 - 08:38 pm:

WOW, Steve those are some great deals. I have some of the pink plugs and Im going to run them in my speedster project. Ill double your money on the three pink plugs and the set of "full spark" :-):-) Its the little deals like these that make me love swap meets.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Friday, March 24, 2017 - 08:42 pm:

Donnie,I found 5-6 timers I didn't have in my collection.I am approaching 50 now,but I'd bet there are over 100 different ones? I came by your place several times,but you were out foraging.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Friday, March 24, 2017 - 08:50 pm:

Jack, Sorry I missed you. When Im at Chickasha Im usually in old parts overload. Im very seldom at my spaces. :-) I think I have about 100 timers and think there are a lot more to find. There is no telling how many different timers there are.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Bond on Friday, March 24, 2017 - 09:05 pm:

Wow, you guys have started spark plug collections!
I recently acquired a nice Model T spark plug for my collection - It's an APCO plug. Will try and get a picture of it posted later. It was a Hershey discovery.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Friday, March 24, 2017 - 09:37 pm:

been in plugs about 20 yrs.charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jared Buckert on Friday, March 24, 2017 - 10:57 pm:

Looks like I should have gone this year. But what else is new? Oh well, there's always next year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Friday, March 24, 2017 - 11:27 pm:

You guys have got me all pumped up for a swapmeet. Guess Ill have to wait for Hershey. Thats the only one close enough to go to for me that I know of.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, March 25, 2017 - 12:08 am:

Nope, didn't see any Blue Crowns. I'm not getting into serious plug collecting, but I wouldn't mind having a set of those and a set of Edisons.

Dallas, I don't think Luray (Virginia in May) is a lot farther from you than Hershey. Iola (Wisconsin in July) is a lot closer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Saturday, March 25, 2017 - 06:18 am:

Dallas: Come to Luray. You can do 2 pre war swap meets that weekend. Dan

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/708324/737876.html?1490436944

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration