TT Nightmare

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: TT Nightmare
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Tuesday, March 21, 2017 - 01:12 am:

For those of us who care about keeping the integrity of our cars and trucks to the standards they were made for. Advertised as "not original but updated", is the new term for this.....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1925-Ford-Model-T-/222446217981?hash=item33cad3eafd:g:pf sAAOSwsW9Y0CF0&vxp=mtr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Tuesday, March 21, 2017 - 01:59 am:

When I got serious about owning a T (actually a TT), I wanted to go faster than
20mph and considered various ideas to make that possible, including something
like this. I was convinced to at least give the stock possibilities a shake before
going to a custom build.

After driving mine and being around others, I have come to the conclusion that
the loss of character in going with a modern drivetrain would just be too much to
give up and have taken a number of steps to get the speed and range I want and
still keep it largely original.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Thomas on Tuesday, March 21, 2017 - 02:13 am:

Looks very well crafted indeed. Begs the question, WHY?
I guess this is a "resto-mod" of some sort.
Still, the chassis is largely original, so it still has the same dynamic speed limitations as an authentic T . So other than the disk brakes, not likely any safer.

I think if you want to travel at 50 instead of 30, why not just get a Model A?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond-Forest, Va on Tuesday, March 21, 2017 - 05:50 am:

I would have it, a nice truck. No such thing as a ''pure'' T, ALL appear to be a mashup of owner additions, modifications and desires. Even the brand new ones varied from plant to plant, day to day. A great product for modern day disagreement, LOL. A T on the road, with any propulsion beats a T rotting in place, crushed, rusted to dust,lost to everyone. In MY most HUMBLE opinion....Gary

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Tuesday, March 21, 2017 - 08:57 am:

While I would never do it, I've often thought how sweet it would be to pop the same 24HP 3 cyl. Yanmar Diesel that's in my sub-compact tractor into a T. It runs about as quiet as a regular T engine, and what little "diesel rattle" you do hear can almost be mistaken for coils ticking!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Tuesday, March 21, 2017 - 09:05 am:

If I were in the market I'd consider it as well. Looks very nicely done.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Tuesday, March 21, 2017 - 12:15 pm:

Q. " I think if you want to travel at 50 instead of 30, why not just get a Model A?"

A. Because Model A's are modern, lack "the look", and just aren't a T ! Understanding this is what separates T guys from Ford guys.

It's like asking, why not get a 2004 Silverado ! It's TT or just go home !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert L. Rogers on Tuesday, March 21, 2017 - 12:36 pm:

After looking at a neighbors large riding lawn mower, I thought "I wonder if I could install that in a T?" (Evil laughter)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matthew Weaver on Tuesday, March 21, 2017 - 01:10 pm:

I like it too, but I'm with Tim Wrenn. I think it would be a good application for a small 3 cyl diesel. If I had the space and money, it would be mine. - Matt

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Berdan, Bellevue, WA on Tuesday, March 21, 2017 - 01:38 pm:

Pretty truck, just not really a T anymore. Surely someone will buy it and love it as it does seem very well done. However, I'm with Burger and a variety of other TT owners on this who have either made changes to their trucks to make them more easily "tourable" or have grown to love them for what they were and are.

I'm not fond of swapping out the motor on any T. I might tweak it or make some fairly major changes to it like the one in my speedster but I still want it to be a T motor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Tuesday, March 21, 2017 - 01:48 pm:

I can't say I see it as a nightmare, but I'm with you guys in feeling like it's had its essential T-ness stripped away. Still, it's going to be the right truck for someone.

Just not me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Tuesday, March 21, 2017 - 01:54 pm:

Is it me or did they just weld those rotors to the outside of T drums?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Tuesday, March 21, 2017 - 02:09 pm:

It's anybody's guess where the hobby is going from here. We are fortunate that so many model T's have been preserved or restored. People will always be building cars and trucks the way they like depending on what they have seen or what pops into their heads. I guess it is a good thing they spend time on cars rather than worse activities.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, March 21, 2017 - 06:43 pm:

I don't have a single problem with it. There are guy's that do T5 transmission in Model A's and others with diesel engines. Guess as long as McD's making the french frys he'll be scooting down the road in his own style.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Tuesday, March 21, 2017 - 10:42 pm:

Not for me personally but pretty cool. I like the factory look for myself but it looks well done. I just love old cars and thought of how long they have been running with these engines. I am the same about model A s. Jmho

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Thomas on Tuesday, March 21, 2017 - 11:05 pm:

Of all the limitations posed by a Model T, in my humble opinion the engine is the least problematic. The engine can me developed to produce lots of power, and is reliable.

But loping down the highway at 50 in this truck, nice as it is, is not as safe as loping down the byway at 30. Even if the transplanted engine has only 20 HP, what is the point?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Allen - Conroe, TX on Tuesday, March 21, 2017 - 11:35 pm:

I agree Erik.

It's looks nicely done, but T's are just so dern flimsy that I really don't have the desire to go much faster than their mechanicals were originally designed to propel them.

Their windshields and bodies are so tall and vertical that they just don't lend themselves to big speeds.

That's not to say that big speeds haven't been done in T's over the years....they certainly have, but I personally wouldn't find it enjoyable.

Nice truck though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Lovejoy, So Cal on Wednesday, March 22, 2017 - 12:49 am:

I like mine pretty much stock, but I can't say a thing against that TT - man that is nice and it looks very well done

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Wednesday, March 22, 2017 - 02:06 am:

I have known of SO MANY stories where the UN-old car guy decides
he wants to get into an old car, but has completely swallowed the BS
that only new cars and engines are reliable, etc., and proceeds to botch
up some poor car to "make it better". A lot of factors come into play in
my own attraction/s to old cars, but the biggest one is period character,
followed closely by aesthetic appeal. Practical, reliable, parts and tech
support come into play, but the most stoutly built and reliable vehicle
is off my list if it is ugly ... priorities.

Custom things like the car shown in the original post must appeal to
some people as toys, ... a fun car to drive, etc. If they honestly believe
there is some historical connection to old stuff or a Model T, they are
either seriously delusional, or downright dim. But if they are honest in
just saying they think it's fun, .... hey, what can I say ? I hope they enjoy
it like I do my genuinely old cars. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Wednesday, March 22, 2017 - 06:27 pm:

Lots of time and money invested. He wont get it back though. Its done well for what it is. A hybrid TT truck in my mind. To each his own.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin H. - Western PA on Wednesday, March 22, 2017 - 06:52 pm:

He probably has less than the 6-8k in a stock full engine & tranny rebuild. Unfortunately, we won't get that back out of a stock TT either. Sometimes it is more than the $.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Wednesday, March 22, 2017 - 11:14 pm:

Justin,

You make the ultimate point .... if one is into their hobbies to
make money, they have completely missed the point. Hobbies
and business can often be the same thing, but the defining
difference is one is about making money, the other is about
personal pleasure, and does not make money ... it costs money.
Usually lots of money !

Fishing, golfing, sports, car racing, painting, crafting, ....
there is no end to the possibilities of how people get their
jollies. A very few make money doing it. Most PAY money
as a avenue to having fun.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jeff cordes on Thursday, March 23, 2017 - 12:12 am:

That's nothing, I was at a shop where we put a 83 toyota corolla engine, transmission and rear axle in a C cab stake bed. It ran OK but I didn't like it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Thursday, March 23, 2017 - 12:29 am:

I would think the Toyota 22r engine would be a really good fit for
a TT power plant. Not sure where a builder would draw the line in
going new. So now it would have a modern stick shift in the cab
(could be made to look period), but the rear end is a real bugger to
make look right (or close). This leaves the ever-present question of
brakes ....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, March 23, 2017 - 05:03 am:

It's hard to tell exactly what they have done with the ebay TT.. Looks like the original rear axle, and the pedals also looks original while the engine is a modern 4 cylinder diesel. If the T transmission is still there, there must have been some impressive engineering done to fit it together :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Thursday, March 23, 2017 - 07:41 am:

What I can't understand is why go to all the trouble to put what looks like a 1970 Mercedes diesel and corresponding Automatic transmission then leave the original pedals in the floor (yes I know he is using the reverse pedal as the brake but the clutch and brake pedals are on the floor board and in the way probably as a useless decoration I suppose. I would not want to get into a panic stop situation with any kind of a load with those Wheels~

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison - Rice, Minnesota on Thursday, March 23, 2017 - 08:34 am:

I think the guy would have been money ahead buying an old VW bug and breeding it with a Toyota Tundra.

"What breed is that dog?"

"It's AKC registered as a Lab!"

"With some collie, greyhound, German shepherd and poodle mixed in."

"It's a German Labradoodle Shepherd Hound!"

"Can it retrieve ducks?"

"Geez, I don't know, I don't think I could throw him that high!"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Thursday, March 23, 2017 - 12:54 pm:

Well, talk about a TT nightmare/clusterschtuppe !

.... mine has the original engine, but I messed it all up, first by doing
a totally non-factory balancing of the engine parts ! THEN it got aluminum
pistons, dippers, counterbalanced crank, hyped cam, and a very non-stock
carb ! Oh, yeah, AND it got a modern high compression head.

.... To make matters worse, it got non-original gears in the rear end
and I am currently working on some BS aftermarket brakes to go with
the totally non-original aftermarket auxiliary transmission I will botch
into the build.

.... and if that isn't enough nightmarish, dastardly modification, I changed
the headlight lenses, built a home made rear stake set, added side mirrors,
and hang my license plate on wires !

Some times, these non-purist scalliwags will ruin everything !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Thursday, March 23, 2017 - 03:16 pm:

Burger? Speed in a TT? Thats crazy talk! Suits you fine.mind the speed limit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, March 23, 2017 - 03:38 pm:

I'd love to have it! I've got several T engines with no place to go. One of them might as well sit under the hood of that TT! All the modifications look to be very reversible.

What I'm seriously lacking is a place to put it...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Thursday, March 23, 2017 - 09:43 pm:

Speed limit around here is a matter of common sense. You don't
want to wreck that thing, do you ?

Outside of town, we have 100's of miles in any direct of pretty much
nothing in which to only worry about except road conditions and vehicle
limitations.

This also makes for 100's of miles to cross if one wants to go to an
event or destination in a "nearby" city. Missoula is 204 miles away,
Helena 315. Going 20 just ain't gonna cut it. But 45 and a good ol'
2-laner and I am a happy camper. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond-Forest, Va on Saturday, March 25, 2017 - 08:08 am:

Shucks make your own...my 1910 REO with a 3 cylinder Kubota diesel, T wheels and axles. A parade vehicle for fun. lol The purist crowd definetely will flip out over this! But a LOT of Ford and T. haha

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration