OT- Early T Era Motorcycle Racing in Omaha

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: OT- Early T Era Motorcycle Racing in Omaha
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Tuesday, March 21, 2017 - 09:53 pm:

A while back, Rob Heyen found some clippings about my great, great grandfather in an Omaha, Neb newspaper while he was researching six-cylinder Fords. He posted them on the forum here:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/506218/508311.html?1420725140

Today, my mother and I were sorting through some old things and found a bunch of photographs of my great grandfather and his brothers posing with some of the motorcycles that they owned. They clearly had no brand loyalty as the photos show them on Indians, Harleys and Excelsior Hendersons. I have a couple of shots of the racer that I believe Edgar Hylen rode in the the race mentioned in Rob's posting. I also have one photo of Ed sitting on a bike that I can't identify. Can you guys help me out? The bike in question is the light gray one with the cylindrical tank. The other two are Indians.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Eastwood on Tuesday, March 21, 2017 - 09:57 pm:

1910 / 1911 "Flying Merkel"
I had one just like it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Tuesday, March 21, 2017 - 10:13 pm:

The early ones are neat. I am always on the lookout for a pre 20 motorcycle project to cross off my bucket list.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, March 21, 2017 - 10:22 pm:

I have never had a motorcycle, modern or antique. But I do like reading about their history, looking at photos of the antiques, and other people's family history with them.
I like antique motorcycles, and have nothing against modern ones. Many of my friends have them. I just never got into them myself.
Thank you Eric H for sharing this!
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Tuesday, March 21, 2017 - 10:39 pm:

Four minutes to identify a rare 107 year old motorcycle. The collective knowledge of this forum amazes me.

I guess I inherited the motorcycle racing gene from Edgar. It was shortly after I started drag racing a three-cylinder Kawasaki 750, that my grandmother told me about Edgar and his brothers loving to ride. My grandfather hated them and nearly disowned my father when he came home with a nearly new Honda Super Hawk in 1962.

I do hope to own a '15 or earlier motorcycle some day, but I can't afford one at this time. If I ever get one, I'll ride it in the New London to New Brighton Antique Car Run. Motorcycles up through '15 are eligible. We have one or two show up each year. They're really cool.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Lovejoy, So Cal on Wednesday, March 22, 2017 - 12:39 am:

those are great photo's very cool. The old motorcycles cost way more than our T's do

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration