EASY STARTER REMOVAL

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: EASY STARTER REMOVAL
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John V. Dow on Wednesday, March 22, 2017 - 12:39 pm:

You guys have all the answers so I'm counting on you for help. Does anybody know of an easy way to get at the mounting screws on the starter motor? I am missing the upper outboard screw and want to replace it as well as tighten the others. Between the firewall and the left side drip pan it seems impossible.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, March 22, 2017 - 12:50 pm:

Long screw driver to remove. To install, one of those slit shank with sliding sleeve to hold the screw. That or remove the drip pan.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Wednesday, March 22, 2017 - 01:07 pm:

YOu can also tape the screw to the screwdriver, scotch tape works for this and then falls off.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, March 22, 2017 - 01:16 pm:

If you pull the starter, always remove the Bendix first. Instructions for that are in the Ford Service Manual.

A long screwdriver should easily reach the two top starter screws. It's easiest to reach the bottom ones if you remove the pan first.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Wednesday, March 22, 2017 - 01:16 pm:

For the two lower ones, use bolts instead of screws, no one will ever know.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Wednesday, March 22, 2017 - 01:24 pm:

Well now everyone knows you use bolts Dan!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Sherman Tacoma WA on Wednesday, March 22, 2017 - 01:53 pm:

I have used Silly Putty, Play Dough or even window glazing putty to hold the screw to the screw driver. It works.
Paul in Tacoma

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Berdan, Bellevue, WA on Wednesday, March 22, 2017 - 01:55 pm:

Or be a real rebel and use and allen head cap screws. They can work on the bendix cover too but of course there you would use the metric thread that is close to but not exactly the same as Ford used.

How often do you really need to get these in and out? I leave the the splash pans off and just use the standard screws.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ALAN FAIRCLOUGH from Houston, TEXAS on Wednesday, March 22, 2017 - 02:36 pm:

Removing the starter gives me a great excuse to chew gum.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Wednesday, March 22, 2017 - 05:39 pm:

Dennis, If I ever decide to go for a Stynoski Award, I'll change back the screws, because now I know that will be the first place they will look. LOL

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Wednesday, March 22, 2017 - 06:34 pm:

I was wondering if Ford used lock washers on the starter screws. Anybody know since this is a starter thread.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Wednesday, March 22, 2017 - 08:28 pm:

Yes.

Ref.: Paragraph 976 Ford Service.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John V. Dow on Wednesday, March 22, 2017 - 09:53 pm:

Thank you all. As I suspected, but wished differently, there are no "simple ways" to get at the mounting screws. So this weekend I'll spend some "quality time" under ol' Gracie.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration