1911 on craigs list, Salem Oregon

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: 1911 on craigs list, Salem Oregon
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, March 22, 2017 - 04:15 pm:

Wrong seat covering and rear end...
https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/cto/6043608383.html
(I sent a note to the guy in the classifieds already)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Wednesday, March 22, 2017 - 05:51 pm:

Also wrong engine, poorly installed interior, missing carbide generator, wrong headlamps, wrong horn and maybe wrong springs. Other than that, she's a real beauty!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Wednesday, March 22, 2017 - 06:10 pm:

wow!! lots of wrong!! about a $12000.00 fun car. charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Wednesday, March 22, 2017 - 06:45 pm:

Bill, you missed the wrong carburetor and perhaps the repro coilbox with later coils.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Wednesday, March 22, 2017 - 07:16 pm:

Allan, you're absolutely right! I must have been dazzled by the purdy paint job!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Wednesday, March 22, 2017 - 07:30 pm:

I think this is the one listed on Blue Oval Ranch website? Only thing nice about this car is the body paint and if it's black which is what it looks like, it's even wrong for the year. This car really is a mess. I agree with Charley, $12K MAX!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marshall V. Daut on Wednesday, March 22, 2017 - 08:17 pm:

Sedan????
M.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Wednesday, March 22, 2017 - 08:24 pm:

Paint looks great.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Wednesday, March 22, 2017 - 09:53 pm:

Yes, Tim, it's the Blue Oval Ranch mess.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Thursday, March 23, 2017 - 08:36 am:

Tim, that's about the ONLY good thing on this car frankly!
The "other Tim"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison - Rice, Minnesota on Thursday, March 23, 2017 - 08:47 am:

He might as well put a Diesel engine in it!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Thursday, March 23, 2017 - 09:24 am:

Out of curisoity if the price were 1/2 what he's asking would there be this much nitpicking?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Thursday, March 23, 2017 - 09:35 am:

Probably not, simply because the asking price reflects what is wrong with the car. When you slap a large price tag on an early brass car, buyers expect it to be correct - who's going to plunk down 29K for a car that needs another 10K + put in it? People need to be realistic in what they are asking for their cars. Just because it's a 1911 doesn't automatically qualify the car for top dollar asking price. At 12K, I think there would be less nit-picking and more bidding!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Thursday, March 23, 2017 - 09:39 am:

Besides, it's very frustrating for serious buyers like myself, who are ready to pay up for the right car, to keep seeing over-priced cars that need way to much work! Aren't there any early brass cars with correct parts out there for sale?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Thursday, March 23, 2017 - 09:46 am:

Bill, I couldn't agree with you more. You're right, if it had a reasonable asking price, there might even be a bidding war and it'd even fetch more than it should from a reasonable start. This guy either has no clue as to what he's got, or he's just trying to horn-swaggle someone.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, March 23, 2017 - 09:49 am:

I agree that for that kind of price it would have to be fully correct, which it isn't. Even with all the incorrect things, it's a very nice car, but it's not thirty grand nice.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale Kemmerer Medford, Or on Thursday, March 23, 2017 - 09:59 am:

No one mentioned wrong rear axle

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Thursday, March 23, 2017 - 10:04 am:

^^^^^ It was mentioned by the OP in the first post.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Thursday, March 23, 2017 - 10:08 am:

Allan-
The coilbox on the car is an original Jacobson-Brandow.

The owner contacted me a couple of years ago looking for coils for it. I didn't have any, so gave him two options: He could contact RV Anderson for correct coils, or I could modify some Williams coils to fit and function in the J-B coil box. He contacted RV, then later called me back. I modified and rebuilt five coils for him that function well.

The Beaudette body on the car is very nice.

: ^ )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Thursday, March 23, 2017 - 10:28 am:

That speedometer is incorrect as well - should be a Stewart Model 24 or 26. I wonder if the car has a patent plate with a body number on it? I think the early cars patent numbers matched the engine number. Since it doesn't have it's original engine, the patent plate would tell us what the motor number was.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Thursday, March 23, 2017 - 10:32 am:

O.k., I just noticed his ad claims the VIN number, which I assume is stamped on the patent plate, is 57207, which would make it a May 31, 1911 T. According to the shipping invoice in Bruce McCalley's book, that car was indeed a Pontiac (Beaudette) body touring, but it's listed with a Heinze coil box.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen Bowers on Thursday, March 23, 2017 - 11:33 am:

I gave up on looking for an original brass car for now, very many of them out there for big $$$, which are so incorrect it would take big$$$ just to get them correct. What has been very frustrating is how many brass cars are advertised as being correct, but when you look at them they have glaring problems. Last week I went to look at a "totally correct" torpedo for sale locally.... with a 25 engine in it, wrong column, wrong axles, list goes on and on. He only wanted 55K for it too!

rant over :-)

I have gone the other direction. For my first T car, bought a 26 roadster project to turn into a little speedster.

Going to keep my eye out for a correct brass car though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, March 23, 2017 - 11:42 am:

Yes, a lot of ads are from Fantasyland. I think in most cases the perpetrator is clueless, not crooked. That doesn't necessarily make them less annoying.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Thursday, March 23, 2017 - 11:54 am:

Stephen, I sent you a PM; call me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Lewis on Thursday, March 23, 2017 - 12:06 pm:

I looked at this car in person awhile back. Besides all the incorrect parts, The fit and finish,body and paint are terrible.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration