Late 1911 Block Valve Gallery Drain Back Hole

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Late 1911 Block Valve Gallery Drain Back Hole
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Berg on Wednesday, March 22, 2017 - 10:24 pm:

My May of 1911 Touring has enclosed valves, in preparation of replacing the valves I decided to take a valve cover off to take a look at what I'm getting into.

Immediately after pulling back the cover a cup or two of oil came out of the gallery. After cleaning up the oil I noticed that there is no drain back hole in the gallery. Is this normal for early blocks? If so should I drill a small hole to provide drain back?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary London, Camarillo, CA on Wednesday, March 22, 2017 - 10:59 pm:

Hi Phil

Yes, it is normal, and yes, you should!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Thursday, March 23, 2017 - 09:09 am:

My '14 used to smoke like a chimney when I took off after sitting at a light. I assumed the engine was tired and needed to be rebuilt. When I took off the valve covers to adjust the valves there was oil puddled everywhere. After I cleaned it out I saw there were no holes to drain the oil out. Two holes and no more smoke.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Thursday, March 23, 2017 - 09:28 am:

I don't know when started the drain holes, but neither of my '13s have had them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Thursday, March 23, 2017 - 09:31 am:

Where do you drill the drain hole?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, March 23, 2017 - 09:42 am:

Bill: You can see the small drain holes in this 1926 block:

jjj

(Picture by Lorenzo Leon from another thread)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Thursday, March 23, 2017 - 09:44 am:

But won't drilling small holes in the block drop metal shavings into the engine?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, March 23, 2017 - 09:50 am:

Sure will, I would remove the inspection pan under the rods and stuff a greased rag between the cam and the block in both positions to collect as much as possible from the drilling, then clean up afterwards.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marc Roberts, York, Pennsylvania on Thursday, March 23, 2017 - 08:17 pm:

How do you suppose it made it through its first 106 years without those holes?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Thomas on Thursday, March 23, 2017 - 08:25 pm:

Three packs a day?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Warren on Thursday, March 23, 2017 - 09:23 pm:

Even on my 26, I drilled more drain back holes, not just for drain back but also for better lube. The oil never gets changed in the areas that don't drain back. If you look at the block you will see the ones that don't drain. It is a great idea to drill the drain back holes. One more thing I did to my 26 was to seal the throttle linkage hole through the block by fitting a copper pipe between the block and valve cover. This will keep the dirt out.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration