Need tire tube 101. Prior to purchase.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Need tire tube 101. Prior to purchase.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Thursday, March 23, 2017 - 10:36 am:

First set of demountables and they came from Bubba with a mix match of tubes and stems, so not much help in the research department.

21" Goodyear All Weather tires with nubs still on tread and no dry rot. One came off with help from spoons, but in great shape. Want to re use them, but new tubes are a must.

On two of the demountable rims, the tube stems are short and they barely stick out of the inner rim when the demountable tire and rim are slid on. Then, a steel metal valve extension is screwed onto the rubber tube stem. I like that look and I think that is what the military would have used to protect the stems for my 1915 War Wagon. The other three have the longer rubber valve stems sticking out and you have to manipulate them in and out of the hole on the inner rim when installing and I see that as a weak link.

What are the tubes with the short valve stem referred to when I order them. 21x450 is the tire size. Centered stem?

Any help or links to vendor supplied correct tubes greatly appreciated. I'll probably coat the inner rims inside with POR 15, which in my opinion reduces the need for flaps as it makes the surface slicker than snot and seals future rust and corrosion.

Thanks in advance.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, March 23, 2017 - 10:59 am:

You must have flaps with split rim 21" rims since the split in the rim will cut the tube if not protected by the flap. I've seen short pieces of rubber that were held by the tube stem and just covered the split, instead of a full flap but I'm not sure how good they worked - the unbalance in the wheel would certainly increase..

(I use Counteract beads in the tube for perfect balance at all speeds)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration