1914 Touring Top

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: 1914 Touring Top
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry M Young on Thursday, March 23, 2017 - 12:27 pm:

Where does the front bow supposed to rest, on top of the windshield or in front? My top has been down for at least 25 years before I bought the car so I don't know how it is supposed to fit. It has also shrunk making it very difficult to handle (needs to be replaced). Any advice is appreciated. Thanks Jerry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Thursday, March 23, 2017 - 12:30 pm:

We have a '14 Touring also and it doesn't really rest on anything - there is tension between the bows & top material and the straps going to the w.s. hinges hold it in place.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Thursday, March 23, 2017 - 12:34 pm:

Set the car in the hot sun and it should help with stretching the top out. After it sets for awhile then try to hook up the latches.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry M Young on Thursday, March 23, 2017 - 12:57 pm:

Dennis, I did that to get it close to fitting but didn't know where the front bow is supposed to fit. My top has "pocket" in front of the front bow, don't know if this kinda hooks over the windshield or the bow rests on the top of the windshield, I know the straps hold it in place, just don't know how it is supposed to fit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James J. Lyons III - West Virginia on Thursday, March 23, 2017 - 01:17 pm:

Jerry.. It doesn't "fit" into anything. It hangs in the open air, just a few inches in front of, and slightly above, the top of the windshield frame. When you hook the straps, it will be pulled tight, with the front bow suspended above the windshield frame.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry M Young on Thursday, March 23, 2017 - 01:56 pm:

Ok, got it!! Thanks for all your replies and information!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan McEachern on Thursday, March 23, 2017 - 03:08 pm:

Its probably not original, but we had a flap added inside the front bow to block wind coming under the top and over the top of the windshield.
Makes things much nicer inside the car on a long trip.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Thursday, March 23, 2017 - 03:41 pm:

We also have a "wind deflector" on the front of ours.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, March 23, 2017 - 03:42 pm:

Jerry,

When you put the top up, are you detaching the front bow from its mounting points on the vertical bow, to which it's attached, and reattaching it to the higher mounts? I hope that's clear, wish I had pictures...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eyssen - Abilene TX on Thursday, March 23, 2017 - 03:58 pm:

Yes: Front bow goes in upper mount on vertical bow when top is in up position.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry M Young on Thursday, March 23, 2017 - 05:33 pm:

Jerry, Tim... Yes, I attached the support in the upper point and I am in the process of letting Mister Sun help me stretch the top a bit. I think I now understand how the top is supposed to attach. Thanks to all for your help, this forum and members are the best!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Thursday, March 23, 2017 - 07:53 pm:

Jerry,

As others have said, the top "just hangs there"...you might want to consider an extra piece of material a windflap to help reduce rain penetration.

(Picture captured from the 'net - another member's auto)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Friday, March 24, 2017 - 10:17 am:

I made a flap for my '13 that is secured to the top part of the front bow instead of the bottom. It has a flap attached to it just like the original 22-25 front bows have. It is a lot less noticeable.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration