One of These Things Is Not Like the Other

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: One of These Things Is Not Like the Other
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Allen - Conroe, TX on Thursday, March 23, 2017 - 11:03 pm:

Like the Sesame Street song says..."one of these things is not like the other, one of these things just doesn't belong"

Based on the fact that the headlights on my old farm car aren't sitting in the same place, in relation to the radiator, I'm assuming that one (or both) of my headlight stands is bent.

Can anyone tell me which is sitting in the proper location?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Lay,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Lancaster Ca. on Thursday, March 23, 2017 - 11:13 pm:

I was thinking more that the floor jack was out of place, and there is the proper jack right there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Allen - Conroe, TX on Thursday, March 23, 2017 - 11:15 pm:

yeah....my $5 jack that I scored at Chickasha ended up being a bit too worn out to work properly.

Had to press the modern jack into service.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Thursday, March 23, 2017 - 11:24 pm:

Don you are,absolutely correct about headlight stalks being bent. They all are, to the front!!!!
Seriously, the way to get them pointing down the road is to bend the stalks, so there is a good chance no two lights will be the same. Sometimes you can get a bit of wriggle room by twisting them in the fender mount, but if they fit well in the taper, even that will not help.

You need a bending bar. A good second choice is a pair of substantial crescent wrenches, one set to go over the stalk and the other to go over the head of the former. That will let you bend the stalks so the lights will be at least half way to looking the same in relation to the radiator. Now if they are looking too far left or right, they need to be turned in the fender support. If you would rather twist the stems to point them in the right direction, red heat will be needed. Swinging on the buckets without heat is likely to damage them.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Thursday, March 23, 2017 - 11:30 pm:

Don, a second look at your photo makes me think the right hand light is likely OK. The left side fender iron needs to be bent up to get the fender at the same height as the right. If this bend is done at the bottom, inside from the light mounting, that will improve the situation, but you may still need to bend the headlight stalk a little too.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tman - Right Coast on Friday, March 24, 2017 - 09:04 am:

It looks to me that the drivers side frame is tweaked up. The radiator don't look in line with fire wall

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Friday, March 24, 2017 - 09:56 am:

It appears you LH fender iron is bent down. Bend it back up where it should be.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Friday, March 24, 2017 - 11:36 am:

Put on the radiator shell and the hood. If the hood lines up between the radiator and the cowl, the problem is very likely to be the headlight stem. However from the way the picture looks the top tank looks higher on the right side as you face the picture. That would cause the radiator to lean toward the left. It could be a combination of several things, over a period of 100 years, who knows what is wrong? Anyway, you need to fit everything together to be sure just what is bent.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, March 24, 2017 - 01:43 pm:

The difference is not in the headlights. It's in the height of the fenders. Look at the angle between the bar and the radiator fins. It's not level. Measure the heights of the two fenders. My 2 says they'll be different.

Presumably the headlights were at the same height when they left the factory. I suspect that when the stalks are properly adjusted to aim the lights correctly, the buckets will end up at the same level, or pretty close to it. Actually I doubt that bending the stalk for aim will have any major effect on the height of the bucket.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Friday, March 24, 2017 - 03:17 pm:

Don

Dimensions for the low hood car, so you can decipher what items are off.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Allen - Conroe, TX on Friday, March 24, 2017 - 11:40 pm:

Thanks for the input everyone...it is sincerely appreciated.

This old girl was obviously used hard on the farm and received its share of damage. I'm still pulling actual cotton and cotton seeds out of crevices.

I've come to the conclusion that, at some point, the car received front end damage and lost its original high radiator. For whatever reason, they replaced it with a low, honeycomb, Hexcel radiator.

Since the Great Depression, farm car, vibe is what I'm after, it's actually a plus in my book and I plan to leave most of it alone. However, the headlights being so out of sync with each other, does bother me a bit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, March 24, 2017 - 11:54 pm:

Measure how high off the floor the fenders are. I bet you'll find they're different. Measure how high off the floor the headlights are. I bet if there's a difference between them it will be less than the difference between the two fenders.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Jull in Oakland on Saturday, March 25, 2017 - 10:56 am:

Just to make it crystal clear of what everyone is talking about, the headlight on the passenger side of the car (RH) is in the correct position ....or very close to that. Since the driver side (LH) fender iron is bent down it has caused the headlight to pull away from the radiator.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Saturday, March 25, 2017 - 10:58 pm:

Don, for the headlight to be pulled out of alignment when the fender bracket was bent down, the bend must be at the frame end, inboard of the light mounting hole. This is the strongest part of the iron, and the bend is not likely there. More likely is the frame has been bent out at the top, and that would make the radiator difficult to fit. To maintain the look you want and still get the light into reasonable position, I would just pay attention to the headlight stalk, and leave deeper correction alone. It just needs red heat to be able to be bent/twisted into alignment.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration