So a scary box arrived (Customs/Homeland Security)

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: So a scary box arrived (Customs/Homeland Security)
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Friday, March 24, 2017 - 06:20 pm:

So a box arrived with tape on it indicating it had been opened and inspected by US Border Protection. Then another layer of tape in a different color indicating it must have been inspected TWICE. What could possibly be so dangerous that an Xray wasn't sufficent not once but twice. Well the answer is simple 2 tail lights and 1 side light. . .

On a side note my Mother in Law sends my wife pills and creams all the time that never get inspected from Thailand. This came from our scary neighbor Canada.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Mosher on Friday, March 24, 2017 - 06:43 pm:

You can't make this stuff up! What a world we live in.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Friday, March 24, 2017 - 06:47 pm:

They have some shifty people up in Canada. I wouldn't trust 'em either ! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, March 24, 2017 - 07:01 pm:

There may have been a trace of kerosene or lamp oil in the fonts that set off alarms.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Friday, March 24, 2017 - 07:01 pm:

I hear that they try to smuggle hockey pucks and moose antlers into the USA. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gene french on Friday, March 24, 2017 - 08:13 pm:

Chadwick:
I had a linebore unit returned from Australia 2 years ago ...marked " suspicious contents " ...it had NOT been opened and inspected BUT it was returned by aircraft to the US ...how safe could that be? load a package that has suspicious contents back onto an aircraft and fly back to the US ...anyway the USPS returned the package at no charge to me and this time it went thru to the customer ...go figure ! always an optimist ...gene french

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Friday, March 24, 2017 - 08:49 pm:

The one with the red lens looked different on the X ray triggering a red alert.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Friday, March 24, 2017 - 08:58 pm:

Dave, No it raised a red flag.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Friday, March 24, 2017 - 09:04 pm:

I tried to fly from San Francisco to Billings with an MGB tachometer in my suit case.
Had to open it and show them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Friday, March 24, 2017 - 09:13 pm:

Nice lamps Chadwick! You ain't gonna throw the box or tape are ya. I agree, twice opened. Fun story for later. Old car parts.
Customs didn't wreck anything did they? One customs guy asks his buddy "What the he!! is that?".

Wait one minute here young man. You or your kids messing with HO trains? Hmmm. I dunno about that.
Yeehaw! Some of us love trains! You didn't think we'd see didja? Bridges, oil lamps, buildings, customs tapes, foam mountains and "S" curves. Mmmm. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Allen - Conroe, TX on Friday, March 24, 2017 - 09:56 pm:

Right after 9/11 I worked for a company that made portable Gel Electrophoresis units. Basically, it was a small box, with wires coming out of it, leading to batteries.

It was delicate, so I carried in my carry-on bag. It looked as much like a bomb as something could without actually being a bomb.

I carried it on commercial flights for two years, nearly weekly...and never got asked about it one time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Friday, March 24, 2017 - 10:08 pm:

Most Americans are spoiled. Book yourself a flight into Abidjan, Ivory
Coast or perhaps Karachi, Pakistan and get a taste of how the real world
deals with security and threat. Every time I flew in and out of AFG, I'd
wince at the loudmouthed Americans bellyachin' about being "so incon-
venienced" and wish they'd get rerouted through Colombia and have loud,
large men with automatic weapons in their hands yelling at them in some
language they did not understand to help them get their head around what
a hassle really looks like.

I got strip searched at Phoenix one time. I had a 15lb. piece of iron (a
phantom tramp bracket from a telephone pole) in my hand (no checked
baggage) and this thing could have been a bomb ! After getting out my
laptop and showing the TSA folks a photo of one in use, they sent me on
my way.

Stuff like inspected boxes is just amusing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Friday, March 24, 2017 - 10:28 pm:

Don, you lucky bugger. Once, (25 years ago) I carried some tools and a pressure gauge with fittings to New York city in a couple small boxes meant for nitrogen accumulator gauges and tools.
2 hours away at MSP, I had to rip all my duct tape off the two nice blue boxes to show them the tools and the pressure gauge. Nice move for me with the duct tape huh?
I was so young.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Friday, March 24, 2017 - 11:14 pm:

I was coming back from ID to CA after christmas break. I had hit the junk yards . . .

In my carry I had a low head, my checked bag (military duffle packed TIGHT) had among other things a '28 chevy overhead. I had carried the bag in with a "calm" look and set it down. As the attendent (large man) went to pick up the bag for check in I cautioned him that it was heavy. Looking at a skinny "boy" he figured it wasn't heavy at all so he grabbed the strap to move it onto the scale. It didn't move much to his surprise. I did end up having to pay extra for overweight.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Friday, March 24, 2017 - 11:42 pm:

A few years ago returning from Chickasha at the OKC airport a unnamed participant was going through security. He held in his hand a brass tail lamp. The security folks looked it over and over passed it around and finally let him take it with him, that was until his bag went thru screening. The next we knew he was out of line and surrounded by the feds. It seems this guy collects vintage claw hammers and forgot to mention that there were a few in his bag. There was a lot of 'splainin' to do before he was allowed to board.

just sayin'

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Swanson on Saturday, March 25, 2017 - 12:22 am:

the CIA must have heard you order it on the phone

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Saturday, March 25, 2017 - 08:03 am:

S'poze ya gotta be careful.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Saturday, March 25, 2017 - 08:28 am:

Duey-
Yes, in our small studio I have brought in a 5 foot diameter spool half (the kind used for wire) and am working on topping it with a layout. It is functional (HO) and our son (2 years old) will chase it around in circles until he can no longer stand most nights. The train would get 1-6 hours run time every day. We just got a new Bachman with all the sounds but have been having some problems. It seems the controller stopped working and since it was new I called them. The service was excellent and they sent a new controller telling me to send back the old one when it got there. As it arrived on a friday I planned to send the old one back monday only the new one stopped working. Getting them on the phone I sent both back and used the locomotive on an old controller. Well now the locomotive won't go (acting like its brushes) and when I last talked to them they had no update on why both controllers stopped working. Well to wrap things up I was waiting to hear from them (phone) regarding the controller problem when a box arrived with 2 controllers. I feel bad now because I'm going to have to say you sent me a controller you shouldn't have and the locomotive isnt working. Oh and the base for the table is a big box (about 20x30x18) filled with Lionel track, another box is filled with switches.

Oh and Clayton there was no wire tapping was involved as this was online and we all know that wires are the only thing tapped.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Saturday, March 25, 2017 - 08:56 am:

Had to remove my belt with holes supported with metal once with a body search. On another flight a single T plug wrench stopped me in x-ray. Lost two pen knives kept on different flights because I forgot to remove from my key chain before boarding.

All considered safe is better then sorry!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Saturday, March 25, 2017 - 11:17 am:

A few years ago a T'er visited here from Switzerland. While here he ordered a T transmission. He had it shipped to my house and then took it to the airport where he checked it in and took it to Switzerland.

I went to Hershey and didn't buy T coils, because I thought the TSA might think they were bombs!
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Saturday, March 25, 2017 - 11:42 am:

I search Government Auctions and there is a category for confiscated items from TSA and airport screeners. Presume they are considered weapons.

Bowling pin.
Cricket bat.
Baseball bat.
I guess a lot of linoleum tile talyers travel with their tools because the number of curved vinyl knifes on there is amazing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale Peterson College Place, WA on Saturday, March 25, 2017 - 11:58 am:

OK, guys, We like to complain about the TSA, but I'm glad they are on the job. The first to complain when the bad does get through are the ones that are inconvenienced on these checks. As far as the lamps being checked, they are a hollow metal vessel that could be hiding anything from the xrays. Glad to know they are at least looking.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth in Alabama on Saturday, March 25, 2017 - 12:27 pm:

I don't know Dale. Have you ever interacted with TSA before? I swear it's like they go out of their way to find high school dropouts with rotten attitudes, no manners, or common sense.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Saturday, March 25, 2017 - 12:28 pm:

Dan has a point, taking some junky looking antique (sorry, but to the layman...) and filling it with drugs seems like it would have once been a popular way to ship.

Either that or they thought you had ordered the briefly popular atomic taillights: they never need fuel or electricity!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Saturday, March 25, 2017 - 01:24 pm:

I have never seen a TSA encounter that even came close to what
I have seen in Afrika, Middle East, Asia, or South America. I urge
all who feel the TSA is too rude, harsh, or threatening to visit any
of these places to get a better feel for how good we got it here in
the U.S.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Saturday, March 25, 2017 - 02:06 pm:

Ha .... I travel a lot in my job ... and was thinking the very same thing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Saturday, March 25, 2017 - 02:20 pm:

Perzackly ! It is embarrassing how "sheltered" Americans are to
those who have traveled.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, March 25, 2017 - 02:42 pm:

Well, this isn't a complaint, just a story--yes, we do need to be safe and vigilant!
When I first travelled with my C-Pap, it had to be taken out of its bag and plugged in an run, later it just went through the x-ray machine--But I did keep a letter from my Doctor with it, explaining that I needed it for my health (and my room on the Delta Queen steamboat even had an outlet and a small shelf to put it on every night!).
But, back to the story: Back in '08 we went on a Steamboat trip where the boat made the Airline reservations as part of the trip--two one way tickets because we arrived and left the boat in different towns. Well, we, and another couple from Oroville, also on the same trip, were "Randomly" selected in Sacramento airport for "enhanced security check". This involved taking everything out of it's case and wiping down the insides of the case with some paper cloth that was then analyzed (???)--I guess for explosives signatures?? No big deal, we were there in plenty of time, but I got a kick out of the "Random" statement--it was obviously because we had one-way tickets! The other couple is about 10 years older than us, we are both so obviously "security risks!"
So, as I said, no complaint, but I do question their criteria and their state reasons (why didn't they just tell us, "due to your one-way ticket, . . . ")!
Oh, and the trip back (also one-way) the Memphis airport didn't even look at us twice.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Koke Twigg-Smith on Saturday, March 25, 2017 - 03:12 pm:

Couple of years ago, leaving Amsterdam, I was asked to accompany the TSA guy and a large guy with weapons into a small room. They told me to drop my drawers. Wanted to see the scar from my hip replacement to make sure I didn't have a thin metal blade taped along my thigh. . .

Then there was the time in the 70s I flew into Boston from Honolulu with several handguns and a shotgun in my checked luggage. No problem, but my lawyer told me later if I had been pulled over in Massachusetts, I'd probably still be in jail.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth in Alabama on Saturday, March 25, 2017 - 05:10 pm:

Burger every other post you make is about one-upping what someone else says. How you know about something that is worse, or something that is better, or not as bad, or not like what you had to deal with, or not like what you were able to do. Just give it a rest.

I've traveled to Africa, had automatic weapons pointed at me (either because it was funny or cause they could or some combination) and no, nothing with TSA has ever been close to that.

Having said that, while they aren't the same kind of corrupt, power-tripping, sadistic jerks that one can encounter in other countries when traveling, TSA still sucks. They don't suck less just because other places suck more or differently. This IS the US of A and for the billions and billions of dollars TSA gets every year, you'd hope they wouldn't be so inept and hire just miserable people.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Saturday, March 25, 2017 - 05:14 pm:

If you get caught in Mass with a spent cartridge you will go to jail for at least 10.
That is why we NH folks tell criminals that Mass has been disarmed for their convince

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Saturday, March 25, 2017 - 05:21 pm:

I happened to be cleaning my black powder rifles the day before a trip to Florida. I had showered since cleaning the rifles and washed my hands more times than I could keep track of but when they swabbed my carry on they found residue on the handle. It wasn't pretty from that point on and I almost missed my flight. I never suspected that they could detect that minute a trace of black powder but I don't even think about cleaning my guns less than a week before I fly these days!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Saturday, March 25, 2017 - 05:38 pm:

They want to take all your guns. "THEY" will keep us all safe. I havent flown since the late 90's. I feel pretty safe. Im sure I am on a watch list somewhere for all the gun powder I buy. Gotta stay sharp. The 1000 yd range a mile from my house is to much fun! Val, Im sure I have residue 90% of the time. 1 cartridge? Mass.sounds like a good place to be a criminal.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Saturday, March 25, 2017 - 06:05 pm:

There is probably a watch list for we who buy Carbide too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Saturday, March 25, 2017 - 06:36 pm:

Well, geepers, Seth, who appointed you Forum TSA screener ?

I got no use for whiners, and when it comes to the TSA and many
American travelers, it is nothing but a pack of whiners. If you've
seen how it's done in the rest of the world, why aren't you pointing
this up, instead of trying play forum moderator ?

I'll be sure to follow all your posts and make sure they meet MY
criteria from now on. Oh yeah, ... I have better things to do. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Saturday, March 25, 2017 - 06:37 pm:

I'm sure building black powder weaponry and cannons hasn't put me on any list. . .

I usually have 1-4 and cannon goex

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Saturday, March 25, 2017 - 07:35 pm:

Chadwick! I like the toys. You are on a list. My list of people to visit!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Saturday, March 25, 2017 - 07:51 pm:

www.swabsarmory.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Sunday, March 26, 2017 - 07:14 am:

I'm with Seth, Burger. Give it a rest. You are continually doing exactly what you accused him of doing. You ask who appointed him "Forum TSA Screener"? Who appointed you "Whiner Monitor". What's the difference? You ask others to ignore what they find annoying and keep quiet about it. Perhaps you could give others the same consideration.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Sunday, March 26, 2017 - 07:39 am:

You guy's got it all wrong ! The customs agent happens to be an old car nut and he wanted to get the senders name and address so he could inquire if any more like that were available. he only opened the box the first time to check quality and the second time to show his buddy!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Donahue on Sunday, March 26, 2017 - 11:42 am:

G.R. is right in one respect, the custom agents were looking for something, but old car parts, Nope! They were looking for the Molsons and the LaBatts Blue!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert L. Rogers on Sunday, March 26, 2017 - 02:52 pm:

My son, active duty military, had a moron TSA ignoramus tell him that he had to remove his dog tags because they could be dangerous. After telling the d#$% b#$5&+ no, he was escorted into a room where a supervisor had to explain to his agents what dog tags were.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration