Removing rear hub

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Removing rear hub
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marc Melane on Saturday, March 25, 2017 - 01:10 pm:

Having difficulty removing a rear hub, it appears that the hub had rotated slightly and has the woodruff key in a bind. The threads on the hub are in very bad shape so my hub puller keeps slipping off the hub. I have soaked the area with penetrating oil and WD40 to no avail. Any suggestions.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Dugger on Saturday, March 25, 2017 - 02:01 pm:

Marc: I have read by some on the Forum that if you loosen the axle nut a turn or two and drive ti a bit and do the drive forward and backward it might loosen the hub. It is worth a try. Just be careful loosen a turn or two on the axle nut.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Saturday, March 25, 2017 - 02:17 pm:

Is it a running car? Then loosen the nut a few turns, replace the cotter pin and go driving around sharp bends for a while until it loosens up.

If that doesn't work, try a knock off nut on the end of the axle, smack it with a sledge hammer with the wheel on the floor but the other side wheel lifted.

https://www.modeltford.com/item/2800KO.aspx

If that won't work either, try find a special puller that grabs a couple of wood spokes. If you can't find one, try make something that grabs spokes. You may have to heat the hub in extreme stuck situations, and that's risky for the wheel, but if you've got to pull a wheel, you've got to.

Ooo

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration