WAS THIS SOLD THIS WAY ????

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: WAS THIS SOLD THIS WAY ????
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Goddard on Saturday, March 25, 2017 - 03:20 pm:

Can anyone tell me if this was SOLD this way with the WOOD exposed like this. I have seen a a couple on the internet, but cannot find any info.
Thanks n advance.
Cheers,
Paul

ANY INFO WOULD HELP

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Hood -Long Beach, California on Saturday, March 25, 2017 - 04:13 pm:

The wood was exposed, but painted black, just like the wheel spokes. But, just like the wheel spokes, some people like to strip the paint and refinish the wood to show it's natural beauty.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Saturday, March 25, 2017 - 04:33 pm:

It takes a real man to paint that pretty wood. Later versions of those Coupes had metal covers over the pillars. The doors skin covered the wood your arm leans on too. The firewall was painted too I believe.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Sunday, March 26, 2017 - 09:29 am:

Yes, all the wood parts mentioned were black when new. And that car didn't come with brass headlight rings and hub caps, or fluted headlight lenses. Someone decided to "dress it up" rather than restore it accurately.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Olson on Sunday, March 26, 2017 - 10:12 am:

I love the way she looks! Shows off "inner beauty" beneath the surface. Thanks for a unique example of an owners pride.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Sunday, March 26, 2017 - 11:00 am:

Some former owner of my '17 Coupelet did the same thing. I'm so sorry he did, because it created more work for me. Some people!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, March 26, 2017 - 05:29 pm:

I always did think they looked better with all that wood painted black. But, then, I am crazy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Sunday, March 26, 2017 - 07:39 pm:

In an era when walking around with your underwear showing is fashionable, it's no mystery "restorers" become fascinated with items that should be covered up. You're not crazy, Wayne, you have a sensible aesthetic where these cars are concerned.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Sunday, March 26, 2017 - 08:11 pm:

The other side of the fence.
Larry, I would've stained that wood a little darker. That is one hot Coupelet! AND I'd strip those spok... Never mind. ;-)
It ain't right.
Neither am I.
Ya, those headlamp rims on that cute Center Door do look out of place on a '19. There is a limit ya know... :-) I have a chrome/nickel headlamp rim on my decrepit late Center Door project and it don't look right but it's all I had at the time.
Fashionable my a$$ Mr B, they're too lazy to pull up their pants. Oh wait, plumbers crack started it all. Darn it. I still dislike pants not pulled up on people of all ages.

(Message edited by Duey_C on March 26, 2017)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Sunday, March 26, 2017 - 08:28 pm:

Another photo of that car appears on Wikipedia as representing "The Model T" which I think is unfortunate as it is so far removed from what Ford made. Someone should update that page with an original car so new people don't get confused.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Sunday, March 26, 2017 - 09:03 pm:

Duey C, "fashionable my ass" - I think you nailed it ! ;- )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Monday, March 27, 2017 - 10:50 am:

My car is featured in Bruce's black book. It's had two more owners since then, and one of them stripped off the black paint. Some people just don't get it!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Codman on Monday, March 27, 2017 - 11:43 am:

The owner likes it that way. It's his car...
When I eventually replace the top of my touring car I'm going to enlarge the rear window. The car is as blind as a windowless panel truck backing up. I have no problem with mods that can be easily undone. And my T has natural wood spokes - it was that way when I bought it, and it's staying that way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Monday, March 27, 2017 - 12:38 pm:

I have a friend who is a professional automobile restorer. He had a customer who hired him to do a total body off/ground up/or whatever you choose to call it RESTORATION of a 50's or 60's model Chevy pick-up. The customer bought the wood to re-do the bed and delivered it to my friend's shop. A few weeks later, he came by to check on the progress and nearly had a coronary when he saw my friend had painted the wood....... BODY COLOR! He got over it once he was convinced that is how it came from the factory, but it was certainly NOT what he was expecting.

Some of you scoff when some low-life PURIST, like me, tries to justify his position citing the public will eventually think some of this crap was stock, but that is exactly what has happened here. This guy who's willing to spend 10's of thousands of dollars on a high end restoration has seen so many polyurethane varnished truck beds at car shows that he didn't know that's NOT how his truck came form the factory.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Monday, March 27, 2017 - 12:43 pm:

Getting one's car education at car shows is one's first mistake.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Monday, March 27, 2017 - 01:03 pm:

Unfortunately, the general public has been conditioned to drool over varnished wood regardless of species, grain pattern or how ugly or beautiful it actually is. Doesn't matter if it is a crappy piece of low end pine veneer plywood full of knots or high quality burled walnut. As long as it is varnished, they'll declare how wonderful it is.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Monday, March 27, 2017 - 01:12 pm:

Erik,

You are SOOOO right!

Reminds me of a phonograph/music box auction I attended. A sad little cylinder music box sat there with half the teeth missing from the comb. A lady played it. The tune made no sense, since half the notes were missing. She said, "Oh how beautiful". Maybe there's something to said for seeing beauty where others can not.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins on Monday, March 27, 2017 - 02:26 pm:

Larry, your parked in my spot!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Cicciarelli on Monday, March 27, 2017 - 04:29 pm:

I'm pretty sure the kerosene lamps are also incorrect for the '19-20 coupes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john f stephens-marcle on Monday, March 27, 2017 - 09:43 pm:

Also, shouldn't the headlamps be black? as to the wood, on the plus side it shows people at a glance wood is a primary component of these cars, (great conversation starter) as for myself, i'll keep mine ALL black, and no sidelights, or brass because Henry didn't build my 1919 center door sedan that way. This is my first and maybe only T, and I want to experience it as close to factory as I can safely accomplish.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Tuesday, March 28, 2017 - 12:00 am:

Makes for reassembly after a "chop" a bit more difficult. You just can't reassemble wood like steel.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, March 28, 2017 - 04:29 am:

Erik, you are so right. When my Dad built the new motel rooms back in '67 he had the ceilings and one wall done in 3/4" random width tongue and groove Hemlock, lightly stained. Most folks think it's just plywood paneling!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration