Variations in early brass horns?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Variations in early brass horns?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel Kraft on Saturday, March 25, 2017 - 05:04 pm:

Why is it that if you look at photos of fords N R S K 09 no two of them seem to have the same horn. I have owned most of the horns and I'm a bit confused as to the variation. All the horns are Nonpareil or Rubes but some have large bells, some have small bells, some have the door on the outside, and some have the door that joins with the bell. Was it just a "pick what you like" or was there a method to what horn went on what car?
Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Rosenthal in Cincinnati Oh on Sunday, March 26, 2017 - 10:41 am:

Hello Dan:
I do not doubt that originals were commonly replaced at some time in the life of the car. In addition to crunch damages, the early jobs with the bell facing up tended to collect water, where I assume this could either rot out the tubing and/or possible freeze in winter weather. I also doubt auto manufacturers were really concerned about running production changes to functional parts like this. The horn had to operate, stay mounted, and look presentable. My guess is that Ford sourced these parts from multiple suppliers who met these basic criteria.
Regards,
Scott

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration