New Wheel

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: New Wheel
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lester in Floyd, VA on Saturday, March 25, 2017 - 06:14 pm:

100 year old shagbark hickory, cut down, dried to 8%, and made into spokes. The hub and felloe came on my car, but the rim, tube and tire came from Chickasha. It was the red one, bought near the gate. Thanks to the guy that sold it to me, and thanks to John Reagan, for the design of the press, and thanks to Steve Jelf, for the video showing how to use the press.Tube even holds air!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie Larsen on Saturday, March 25, 2017 - 06:31 pm:

Did you make your own spokes if so could you share a picture of the jig you made and any other information.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Saturday, March 25, 2017 - 08:18 pm:

Lester-
Looks good.
Are the bolts wheel bolts or run-of-the-mill carriage bolts? They need to be wheel bolts.

Oh, and don't forget to put the brake drum on before peening the ends of the bolts.

: ^ )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lester in Floyd, VA on Saturday, March 25, 2017 - 08:27 pm:

Charlie; I don't know whether my way of cutting the spokes is fancy enough to actually call a jig, but here's what I did:carpenter's square clamped onto miter sawOld spoke was too far gone to measure for length

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lester in Floyd, VA on Saturday, March 25, 2017 - 08:37 pm:

As you can see, I just clamped a carpenter's square to a miter saw. I didn't rely on the saw's protractor for the angle, I cut a right triangle from plywood with opposite side carefully measured at adjacent X tan15. The old spokes were too far gone to use as a model for length, so I made the new spokes too long and then when pressing them in was ridiculous, I shortened them until it seemed reasonable. The felloe was a Hayes. Different manufacturers - Ford, Kelsie, etc., had slightly different spoke lengths. Some folks know all these numbers, but I just used trial and error.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Saturday, March 25, 2017 - 08:40 pm:

Very inventive. It is always fun to see what folks can do.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lester in Floyd, VA on Saturday, March 25, 2017 - 08:42 pm:

Keith, I measured the hardness of the Ford bolts, and they seem to be no better than plain old 1018. Maybe someone know the actual spec?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Saturday, March 25, 2017 - 09:07 pm:

Ford's originally weren't hardened, and grade at less than 2. The bolts that I make, and which both Lang's and I sell, are Grade 5; more than enough to handle the job.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lester in Floyd, VA on Saturday, March 25, 2017 - 11:15 pm:

R.V. ; I was hoping to hear from someone like you. Now that I know, that's what I'll use.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lester in Floyd, VA on Saturday, March 25, 2017 - 11:22 pm:

My intuitive impression is that the non-hardened bolts don't allow you to put as much squeeze on the spokes as I would like.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ignacio Valdes on Saturday, March 25, 2017 - 11:31 pm:

Interesting that you used a chop saw. How did you make them round?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lester in Floyd, VA on Saturday, March 25, 2017 - 11:45 pm:

Ignacio; I center drilled the rim end and turned them in a lathe. Held the trapezoid end in a 4-jaw.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lester in Floyd, VA on Saturday, March 25, 2017 - 11:49 pm:

By the way, if I paid myself minimum wage, it would have been cheaper to buy spokes, but since I was too cheap to pay myself, I got them for free. It was so much fun I'm going to do three more.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Sunday, March 26, 2017 - 11:04 am:

Get rid of those hardware store carriage bolts!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, March 26, 2017 - 12:52 pm:

https://www.modeltford.com/item/2825BQS.aspx

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration