Cutout or VR

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Cutout or VR
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Noel D. Chicoine, MD, Pierre, SD on Saturday, March 25, 2017 - 06:27 pm:

I'm starting to work on the new to us 20 roadster Teresa spotted for me last September. Is this an original cutout or one of John Regan's or another Voltage Regulator? We purchased the car at a used car lot and don't have access to the prior owner for much information. If it's not a VR, I'll need to purchase one to avoid major electrical problems in the future.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Saturday, March 25, 2017 - 06:41 pm:

Noel, it would help with identification if you took the cover off so the internals were shown.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, March 25, 2017 - 06:53 pm:

John Regan will probably know just from looking at the picture of the bottom. You can wait for him to see it here, or email your pictures to him through his website:

http://www.funprojects.com/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Putnam, Bluffton, Ohio on Saturday, March 25, 2017 - 07:04 pm:

If it is a VR you void the warranty by taking off the top!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Loso St Joseph, MN on Saturday, March 25, 2017 - 07:12 pm:

Cutout

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Putnam, Bluffton, Ohio on Saturday, March 25, 2017 - 08:29 pm:

If it is a VR you void the warranty by taking off the top!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Saturday, March 25, 2017 - 08:36 pm:

All of Regan's VR's have that itty bitty cut triangle near the edge. As Jack says...don't mess with the VR!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Saturday, March 25, 2017 - 08:38 pm:

Inside a mechanical cut-out. Prone to have the worn points stuck open or closed, bad news.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Noel D. Chicoine, MD, Pierre, SD on Saturday, March 25, 2017 - 11:21 pm:

Thank you. I knew if it was one of John's you shouldn't take it apart. There are 3 tiny welds I didn't want to break so didn't look inside. Looks like it's time to place an order to Fun Projects.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Sunday, March 26, 2017 - 06:59 am:

Dan and others are correct. To answer Noel exactly, the unit is not a VR.

Jack is correct that grinding the welds and removing the top voids the warranty but I do that to help it survive since more than half of the units sent to me test 100% OK. There are NO user serviceable parts inside so removing the top doesn't get you anywhere except that you will find out for sure that what we said in the instructions is absolutely true, there are NO user serviceable parts inside - no adjustments nor things to tinker with but those who remove the cover just never seem to resist at least trying a few things. All of that just contaminates the crime scene in the event the thing has an issue. I can't be sure when the cover is removed so I have to do additional detective work to see what might have been altered that may or may not have had anything to do with the original problem. In short - more work for me.

Here is the deal I make with folks and it applies to any regulator we have ever made. I ask that you send me the VR along with $20. If the unit tests good then you get all of your money back except $5 that we keep to cover return shipping. If the unit is bad but can be fixed then we fix it and return it but keep the whole $20. If the unit is beyond repair (like if there is black goo where the parts used to be) then you get your whole $20 back unless you also want the glack goey thing back too in which case again we only keep $5 for the return shipping. The ONLY caveat is that it must arrive with the cover still welded in place and all of the hardware in place so don't tighten or loosen any screws on the bottom. If you cut the welds or loosen screws we will still repair it for you if we can but the $20 deal is off the table. It will be time and material - not flat rate. If it arrives with cover in place we can usually test it quickly but just depends on how busy we are when it gets here. If it shows up as a bag of parts it will likely take longer. All repaired regulators must meet all the same specs that a brand new regulator must pass.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration