AC brakes with Model A wheels

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: AC brakes with Model A wheels
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Manuel, Lafayette, La. on Saturday, March 25, 2017 - 06:37 pm:

I am considering AC brakes but I am running Model A wheels. Are the brakes compatible with these wheels? Larry Sidmore couldn't give me a definitive answer so I was hoping one of you had done this successfully. Thanks in advance for any help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, March 26, 2017 - 10:49 am:

A lot depends on how the wheels are mounted. If the studs are mounted in the pack plate of a wood wheel hub and the centering flange of the wheel over hangs the brake drum, probably not. If Model A wheel adapters are used and the back of the wheel centering flange is even with the outer face of brake drum, should be ok.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Manuel, Lafayette, La. on Sunday, March 26, 2017 - 11:48 am:

Thanks Mark. I am using the adapters so the inner edge of the wheel is exactly in line with the outer surface of the drum. Unless some part of the system protrudes beyond that point, I think you are right.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth in Alabama on Sunday, March 26, 2017 - 11:58 am:

John the only thing you will need to watch out for is the rear anchor bolt for the bands. It has a nut on the inside to keep it locked in place, but after a long tour mine worked itself loose. This let that bolt walk itself over into my spokes. When I got everything fixed I added a lock washer so it couldn't walk itself out again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Sunday, March 26, 2017 - 12:02 pm:

Here is a rear view of the anchor, it sticks out from the backing plate circle, might interfere.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Manuel, Lafayette, La. on Sunday, March 26, 2017 - 12:48 pm:

Good information guys, thanks. What do y'all think of these brakes?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Constantine on Sunday, March 26, 2017 - 12:59 pm:

Seth and Dan, just out of interest, what's the clearance between the wood spokes and the anchor bolt?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, March 26, 2017 - 01:05 pm:

I like my AC brakes, they look period and have the same (adequate, but not spectacular) stopping power going forward or reverse. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce Spainhower - Portland, Oregon on Sunday, March 26, 2017 - 02:39 pm:

Constantine - In the case of my '15, the clearance between the spokes and the bolt was in negative numbers. I had to face the head of the bolt down to less than a quarter inch thick to avoid hitting the spokes. I used a Nylok nut there to avoid Seth's experience. Painted black, the nut isn't that noticeable. More period correct would be to drill the bolt and use a castle nut.

Model A wheels have no integral brake drum, so whether AC brakes would work or not would depend on how the wheel was adapted to the T hub. Clearances would all be trial and error.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Manuel, Lafayette, La. on Sunday, March 26, 2017 - 04:47 pm:

In my application it looks like the head of the offending bolt would fall just about in line with the inner flange of the wheel where there would be no clearance. Could the brake be countersunk and a high grade flat head machine screw be used in place of the bolt?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Constantine on Sunday, March 26, 2017 - 08:39 pm:

I asked the question about spoke clearance because I had my RM brakes damage my wood spokes and I'm not the first person that's happened to.

I wonder why some cars have this issue and other cars don't?

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration