Steering wheel restore

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Steering wheel restore
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Saturday, March 25, 2017 - 08:00 pm:

What do i paint or coat the steering wheel it self with? It is very nice no chips or cracks. It just needs cleaned up. Was the wheel Shinny when new? Thanks in advance Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Saturday, March 25, 2017 - 08:29 pm:

Yes, factory shiny. The Fordite rim was molded and polished. You can today polish and shine, and coat with wax. But when the wax wears off, the old stuff will blacken your grip.

Most clean, sand lightly like prep of metal, then paint with high quality gloss black enamel.

Old Fordite with worn off wax, gets gooey in hot weather too.

Painted

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Saturday, March 25, 2017 - 08:48 pm:

Thanks Dan it's for my 26 rpu it's 16 inch so it will give a little more room to move around. I will scuff it with like 1000 grit and paint it. I think I will just get the center section powder coated. I am getting ready to have to sets of 26 -running boards powder coated anyway. Thanks for the advise. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Sunday, March 26, 2017 - 11:09 am:

Don't paint it. I won't look right. Do as Dan said and polish it real good. I think for the final sanding, I used 1500. I've put a number of coats of automotive wax on it. No problems.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marc Roberts, York, Pennsylvania on Sunday, March 26, 2017 - 03:33 pm:

Can the steeling wheel rim take the heat of the powder coating process?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Sunday, March 26, 2017 - 04:30 pm:

I will sand it then and wax and buff it then. I was only going to powder costs the center section, made of metal. Thanks Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, March 26, 2017 - 04:41 pm:

The screws are an odd size. If you lose any you can get them from R.V. Anderson.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Wednesday, March 29, 2017 - 11:32 am:

Johnson's paste wax will bring it back like new. Just smear it on and start buffing it down with fresh rags...easy as pie !!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration