New Timer ?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: New Timer ?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glenn W. Beers on Saturday, March 25, 2017 - 09:19 pm:

I need to install a new timer on my "23". What timer would you guys suggest to use ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Davis Houston TX on Saturday, March 25, 2017 - 09:22 pm:

I use Anderson.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Spencer Vibert - Granby ,CT on Saturday, March 25, 2017 - 09:23 pm:

tw or anderson

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Saturday, March 25, 2017 - 09:36 pm:

Just out of curiosity, what kind of timer have you been running Glenn ?

All else being equal, my testimonial would have to be for the New Day, as I've logged most of my Model T miles with one (original) and it never failed me. If you're open to experimentation, try a New Day now being made by Tip-Top Timers in Spokane by Hutch. They are shaping up to be as good as the originals, to save the good name the originals had. Hutch will stand behind them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Saturday, March 25, 2017 - 09:55 pm:

I use original New Day timers. But I may get one of the new "New Day" timers and give them a try.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glenn W. Beers on Saturday, March 25, 2017 - 09:55 pm:

Rich, I am new to the T hobby. The engine in my Hack was bad just installed newly rebuilt engine, that is way I need your good advice.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen D Heatherly on Saturday, March 25, 2017 - 10:19 pm:

I also recommend the New Day timer. I've had one on my coupe for about 500 miles and so far have had no issues and it has not worn at all.

Stephen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, March 25, 2017 - 11:14 pm:

I use New Day with no problems. Glen Chaffin suggested replacing the bronze brush with a piece of generator brush altered to fit, so that's what I did.

The carbon should produce less wear on the cover than bronze.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Sunday, March 26, 2017 - 08:45 am:

Go with a TW timer. I have one on each of my engines. No problems, no regrets. As with brush timer, make sure you have a correctly installed modern cam seal. Brush timers don't tolerate oil well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Sunday, March 26, 2017 - 10:16 am:

Right now, I have Andersons on both, but have a TW for when I need to replace one. I was not aware of the new New Days until just a few days ago, but that has me interested as well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - West Melbourne Florida on Sunday, March 26, 2017 - 11:08 am:

Iv been running the TW timer for a couple of years and have had no trouble with other than cleaning it. After installing a New Day on a friends car I'm considering switching out to a New Day when the brush wears out. It just seems to be easier to take apart and clean.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Sunday, March 26, 2017 - 02:58 pm:

If the New Day timers were being made as the originals all these years since they were introduced they would be the most popular and dependable sold today. Finally some are being made that are pretty close to the materials as the originals.
My father told me that in his day people would replace the roller timer with a New Day.

I don't know when the New Day was introduced but it must have been in the 30's? Not sure but it was in that time frame I suspect.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Raynor in Southampton on Sunday, March 26, 2017 - 04:13 pm:

For those of us that a crazy enough to subject our selves to the madness of being judged at AACA showes,of all these mentioned above which of these would "pass the test" to be most original looking. Just to be clear I am looking at using one of the new "advanced" ,maybe less maintenance, type what would fit this requirement and still "look" original
for a 15? Any help will be appreciated thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Sunday, March 26, 2017 - 05:55 pm:

Glenn, You really should research the ETimer since I see them advertised again in the VF. Looks like they are now available again. If so you will never have to look inside the timer again and also have improved overall performance.

Many guys here will Bad mouth them but lots of us here have been using one for many thousands of miles and would never have anything else.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - West Melbourne Florida on Sunday, March 26, 2017 - 06:28 pm:

I would love to get my hands on an E timer but for me the cost is out of my wallets range. When brings the cost down to where a person can afford one I will be jumping on it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Monday, March 27, 2017 - 11:00 am:

Craig R. -- Back when Frank Fenton had the Anderson timer business, I found a cast aluminum housing timer (which is correct for '15) and sent it to Frank. He replaced all the "innards" with Anderson components. It worked like a champ and looked correct. Frank has since sold that business to Ford-n-More in Spokane, but I expect they could do the same thing for you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Raynor in Southampton on Monday, March 27, 2017 - 11:32 am:

Thanks Mike I will give him a call

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Raynor in Southampton on Monday, March 27, 2017 - 11:47 am:

Called and spoke to Hutch at tip top timers 509-220-0892 he can rebuild them thanks again!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Monday, March 27, 2017 - 03:40 pm:

Good deal. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Monday, March 27, 2017 - 04:13 pm:

New Day all the way!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JohnH on Monday, March 27, 2017 - 06:36 pm:

I've been using an E-Timer for over 18 months and can't recommend it highly enough. Mechanical wear is eliminated forever and timing remains perfect. I've driven with it on days so hot that floorboards feel like they're going to catch on fire, and through heavy storms, and it just keeps going.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Tuesday, March 28, 2017 - 02:55 am:

John, You know that Hi and Low temperature was recorded inside on a chip along with your speed and maybe even who was with you and where you were!!

I found it was very interesting info!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Bergmann Sydney - Australia on Thursday, April 13, 2017 - 05:33 am:

Does anyone know what modern timer seal to buy? My friend Bill just received his new e-timer today in Australia, so they are available. Bill wants to buy a modern seal locally at the auto parts store, rather that wait a week from the vendors. Thank you, Tom

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, April 13, 2017 - 05:52 am:

Dave Huson gave this number for the cam shaft seal in an old 2003 thread: CR 9878. (CR stands for Chicago Rawhide)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller, mostly in Dearborn on Thursday, April 13, 2017 - 06:14 am:

I believe this seal is also stocked at small engine - lawn mower repair shops as a crankshaft seal.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Bergmann Sydney - Australia on Thursday, April 13, 2017 - 08:30 am:

Excellent quick answers gentlemen. I thank you and Bill thanks you. I will send this topic to his lady good wife. I'm so glad you were both
looking and were able to and chose to respond. Tom

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Manuel, Lafayette, La. on Thursday, April 13, 2017 - 08:50 am:

As indicated in a previous thread, I recently installed an E Timer and am very pleased with it"s performance.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brad Marble on Thursday, April 13, 2017 - 09:12 am:

I recommend the Anderson Timer, I have tried all three and have had an Andeson on my touring for 20 plus years with excellent service.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration