Pistons all different

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Pistons all different
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Dimmock on Saturday, March 25, 2017 - 11:01 pm:

Does anyone know of a source for piston rings sold per piston instead of in sets? I popped the head off and found every bore has a different size piston in it. Ranging for std to .045" I'd like to try just replacing the rings before I go to a full on re-bore.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd, ............Red Deer, Alberta on Sunday, March 26, 2017 - 11:44 am:

Are the grooves all the same? If so, just buy a set of .050" oversize rings and file the end gaps to suit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Sunday, March 26, 2017 - 11:58 am:

Mark: was that motor sent to mop** direct for re-build? I once got a 318 from them like that? Seriously why would anyone do that, T motors are basically un-balanced to begin with so why add to the problem? Per piston ring sets are available write to these people and tell them what you need
info@hastingsmfg.com
They should be able to help but it may take a little patience.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, March 26, 2017 - 05:51 pm:

Did you measure them? It used to be common practice to take oversize pistons and cut them down to the size needed. Never trust the size marked on the piston top.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen Bowers on Sunday, March 26, 2017 - 07:00 pm:

I'm with others, measure the pistons first. Buy oversized and file the ends down.

Honestly I would strongly recommend boring them to match. Std to +45 is a big difference. At a bare minimum take the connecting rods and pistons out and try to get them to the same weight.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Monday, March 27, 2017 - 12:05 am:

Slim chance, but you might inquire with all the T vendors and inquire if they have any broken sets that were returned by buyers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Dimmock on Tuesday, March 28, 2017 - 03:16 pm:

I bought a new bore gauge, I'll check the bores tonight and see what's going on. I guess the responsible thing to do would be bore them all the same and put in aluminum pistons?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Tuesday, March 28, 2017 - 07:22 pm:

That's what most people do when rebuilding an engine.
Some still use the original cast iron pistons when the engine it not overly worn.
But aluminum pistons is the way to go. It cant help but improve an engines performance even if it is very little. Even a purist will use them so it must be OK!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Dimmock on Wednesday, March 29, 2017 - 07:45 pm:

Checked the bores with a bore gauge. Standard bore was not standard, measured .038" over (assuming stock bore is actually 3.750" So the range is .025" to .045" I see rings come in .040" then jump to .060" do I get a set of.060" and file fit? or .040" and do the same, only at the mercy of the one large hole at .045"?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Bender Tulsa Oklahoma on Wednesday, March 29, 2017 - 10:20 pm:

What size are the pistons? How much out of round are the bores, also how much taper? The answer to these question should help you decide to patch or repair with new pistons and rings in fresh bored cylinders.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Dimmock on Thursday, March 30, 2017 - 12:00 am:

The pistons all match the overbores, or at least by the markings on the tops of them they do.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration