Engine # font size???

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Engine # font size???
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Sherman Tacoma WA on Sunday, March 26, 2017 - 12:11 am:

I am cleaning up my 1919 engine for rebuild, including new paint. I have a bill of sale, but I can barely read the numbers. So I think I better re-stamp the engine number, but I need to find out what size stamps to buy.
Thank you-Paul in Tacoma

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ignacio Valdes on Sunday, March 26, 2017 - 01:23 am:

What most people call a Font is actually a Typeface. Font refers to the size of a typeface and is expressed in 'points'. You would have to identify the typeface first then figure out how many points or font size.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Duffy on Sunday, March 26, 2017 - 01:30 am:

Try Restostamps.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Sunday, March 26, 2017 - 02:44 am:

Take a sharp dental tool, wear magnifiers and scratch the stamp areas deeper. You'd be amazed at how much shows up, then no one can question your "restamping!"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Sunday, March 26, 2017 - 06:42 am:

Most NEW stamps will not match the shape or style of the old numbers. You will need an older set. Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Raynor in Southampton on Sunday, March 26, 2017 - 07:00 am:

The American blocks used 1/4" and Canadian used a letter C with 5/16" numbers

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, March 26, 2017 - 10:46 am:

I would try David's suggestion before undertaking the search for matching stamps. Even if you found stamps to match the factory numbers, which I suspect is very unlikely, restamping a digit in the same spot is well nigh impossible. If you don't believe it, stamp a letter or numeral on a piece of scrap material, then try to repeat it in exactly the same spot. VOE.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Sherman Tacoma WA on Sunday, March 26, 2017 - 10:59 am:

Thank you Craig. I will use 1/4" (typeface).
Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Sunday, March 26, 2017 - 11:25 am:

Have done that to replace block, milled off old, and re-stamped 1/4" numerals using metal stamp set from Harbor Freight.

Maybe less than best, but have seen original Ford factory stampings worst!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen, South Texas on Sunday, March 26, 2017 - 11:51 am:

Someone did a comparison of the modern stamps and the stamps used by Ford but I can't seem to find it now. I forgot the style name but I think you can get some that are really close to the original. The cheap "fake" numbers can be spotted in a second.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Sunday, March 26, 2017 - 12:37 pm:

Would say that Ford factory stamps weren't fancy with serfs at the tails of the numerals.

Ford Service told branches and dealers to use hardware store number punches.

Have an old set of stamps with fancy serfs, and compare to modern Harbor Fright Pittsburg brand 1/4" numerals.

Here is original Ford stamps on a block

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By joe bell on Sunday, March 26, 2017 - 12:57 pm:

I have found if you start in the center and work outward they even up more and look better, just what some old boy told me and it works for me. Hope this helps.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Bender Tulsa Oklahoma on Sunday, March 26, 2017 - 01:04 pm:

Paul check with Steve Tomaso he lives near you, may have a set you could use or pay him to stamp the block.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration