Valve Stem Dust Covers

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Valve Stem Dust Covers
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Sunday, March 26, 2017 - 05:06 am:

I have been slowly gathering up enough original metal tire valve stems and parts for my (mostly) original (read beater :-) ) '25 coupe. I have a set of four NOS Schrader nickel plated dust covers that I picked up at a swap meet years ago, just because they were NOS and looked cool, the plating is nearly perfect. Now that I'm looking for parts, I have found that these things evidently must be kind of unusual. They are marked "Kwickonanoff" along with patent dates of Dec.'18, and Sept '19 with some other info. As far as I can tell from the instructions, they are made to just slip down over the stem and twist a bit to hold them onto the stem with a spring loaded collar. The kicker is, they have a MALE thread at the bottom and I have no idea what that is for. I've searched the MTFCA past forum discussions and haven't seen anything like them. The instructions say nothing about the male threads. Does anyone have any idea what they are for? I would gladly trade them for a set of like condition caps and/or any original stems and parts that would be correct for a '25 T. I have the remains of the box, and the instructions that are almost perfect. If anyone is interested, I can text some pictures, I have no other way to do it. I know this maybe should have been put on the classifieds, but I am looking for information too. Thanks in advance, Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Sunday, March 26, 2017 - 06:55 am:

Dave send the pics to me and I will post them for you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Sunday, March 26, 2017 - 10:19 am:

Just my two cents worth. Picked up an estate sale T rolling chassis that looks to be 25ish. 21" demountable wood wheels. Two of the wheels had metal valve stem extensions on them, and I like the look for my military war wagon project. It appeared that the tubes had short valve stems on them that barely came through the demountable tim and, when installed on the spokes, was flush or just under the surface of the assembly. These steel vale stem extensions screwed directly onto the valve stem and then the cap would screw on the end of the extension.
When I asked a T forum member about them and asked if he had a matching set or two more like mine to complete my project, I was direted to any local auto parts store, which I have not done yet. They are 1 3/4" long.

Here's my photo of what I have. Don't know if it is what the OP has.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Sunday, March 26, 2017 - 10:53 am:

What is pictured above are just valve stem extenders, NOT dust covers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Sunday, March 26, 2017 - 02:35 pm:

Correct. I thought when the OP mentioned the male threads on one end of his tubes, that they might be these.

Guess not.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Sunday, March 26, 2017 - 04:35 pm:

These are Davids stems.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Sunday, March 26, 2017 - 04:46 pm:

Thanks Dallas. Hard to tell, but they are about 2 1/4" long and about 7/8' OD at the largest part. The inside shot shows the internal spring that holds them on the stem. It is the part with the two flat sides. Anybody have any idea what the external threads are for? Many thanks, Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Tuesday, March 28, 2017 - 03:10 pm:

Anybody? Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Tuesday, March 28, 2017 - 05:54 pm:

Aftermarket caps by Schrader. Unlike standard caps that were supplied by them to Ford.

Fancy, quick off design, cost more than regular ones.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Tuesday, March 28, 2017 - 05:59 pm:

Rest of adv. details the special floating ring that goes on the valve stem, and is the part with threads to hold the Quick Off cap.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Tuesday, March 28, 2017 - 06:03 pm:

The Schrader Kwikonanoff or Kwik-on-an-off dust cap has a special corresponding rim-nut bushing that screws onto the valve stem. You snug the rim-nut bushing tight against the fellow. The dust cap screws into the rim-nut bushing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Tuesday, March 28, 2017 - 06:11 pm:

Further clarification - arrow pointing to what is known as the rim nut, rim nut-bushing or rim nut and bushing:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Tuesday, March 28, 2017 - 06:20 pm:

Google Books is a quick and easy to research antique automotive items in period trade magazines.

If you know the product and or manufacturer's name, just set some date parameters and you are good to go. For example, I set the date range for 01/01/1900 through 12/31/1930 and searched the following terms:

Schrader Kwik-on-an-off

https://www.google.com/search?q=schrader+kwik-on-an-off&source=lnt&tbs=cdr%3A1%2 Ccd_min%3A1%2F1%2F1900%2Ccd_max%3A12%2F31%2F1930&tbm=bks

Schrader Kwikonanoff

https://www.google.com/search?q=schrader+kwik-on-an-off&source=lnt&tbs=cdr%3A1%2 Ccd_min%3A1%2F1%2F1900%2Ccd_max%3A12%2F31%2F1930&tbm=bks#tbs=cdr:1,cd_min:1/1/19 00,cd_max:12/31/1930&tbm=bks&q=schrader+kwikonanoff&*

Schrader rim nut

https://www.google.com/search?q=schrader+kwik-on-an-off&source=lnt&tbs=cdr%3A1%2 Ccd_min%3A1%2F1%2F1900%2Ccd_max%3A12%2F31%2F1930&tbm=bks#tbs=cdr:1,cd_min:1/1/19 00,cd_max:12/31/1930&tbm=bks&q=schrader+rim+nut&*

Have fun.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, March 28, 2017 - 07:01 pm:

Isn't it interesting how "suggestive" even old ad were? Clean, yes, but also. . .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Tuesday, March 28, 2017 - 07:42 pm:

Many thanks guys! The caps that I have were NOS and in the original box, but there were none of the rim nuts with them. I couldn't figure out what the threads were for, now it makes sense. I would still like to trade them for original stems, covers or parts. Thanks again. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Wednesday, March 29, 2017 - 05:04 am:

I would also be interested in purchasing four of the rim nuts for the Schrader caps that I have. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, March 29, 2017 - 09:50 am:

I bet those nuts are like jack handles. Plenty of of surviving covers, but few of the nuts that go with them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Wednesday, March 29, 2017 - 12:03 pm:

I bet Steve is right. Unlike model Ts, pleanty of nuts to go with them!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Wednesday, March 29, 2017 - 04:42 pm:

:-) Dave

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration