6 to 12 volts starter rewiring ?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: 6 to 12 volts starter rewiring ?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jorge Alejandro Attwell on Sunday, March 26, 2017 - 06:35 am:

Good morning, as a very amateur and first time hands on a Touring 3 1925 have the following question...

How do you rewire the old 6 volts starter for a 12 volts battery operation.?

I got the car last month, with a 12 volts alternator, regulator, coil, distributor and battery. But had some bendix problems and as already read in some other posts seems to be related with a 6 volts starter motor working on 12 volts.

I am far away from Usa, and have importation/customs issues to face and shipping costs for parts replacements. But if I can get good and clear info on this issue, IŽll try to redo it locally.

Thanks for any help, diagram, wiring circuit and or ideas on this issue.
Jalex

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Sunday, March 26, 2017 - 08:37 am:

Jalex, This should help. Use #4 ga. wire to make the jumper line from the bottom of the right side field to the top of the left side field.

http://oldfords.org/images/12v_starter_schem.jpg

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Sunday, March 26, 2017 - 08:43 am:

Last year there were pictures on the forum. I planned on doing it over the winter but got busy and didn't take the starter out of the car before it got cold.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen, South Texas on Sunday, March 26, 2017 - 12:05 pm:

This is the non-destructive method I use in a more "DIY" presentation and how the coils look afterward.

A note on the conversion: When disconnecting the terminal post from the coils on the left series, don't just cut the terminal lead off. Wrap it over the terminal post and solder it to the right side series. This gives better support to the terminal.

Factory Original:

Conversion:

Coil Conversion

(Message edited by kskopsky on March 26, 2017)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen, South Texas on Sunday, March 26, 2017 - 12:10 pm:

Forgot to mention:
Insulation card stock MUST be added around the connections so that they don't contact the yoke or each other (at the brush leads).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jorge Alejandro Attwell on Sunday, March 26, 2017 - 12:29 pm:

Yes, this is what I was looking for!.
Thanks to all .
Stephen,... those drawings and pic are more than clear to understand it.

Thanks again, we shall see how it goes...
Jalex

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cameron Smythe - Australia on Monday, March 27, 2017 - 05:09 am:

i have just recently done this and it works perfectly

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Monday, March 27, 2017 - 06:21 am:

I've done this method both ways and found that routing the field jumper wire to the right hand side is a little easier and interferes less with the brush leads. But if you can run it to the left, that does work as well. In any case, if you're going to run 12 volts to the starter, I much prefer doing this alteration than many of the of the "voltage dropping" methods out there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen, South Texas on Monday, March 27, 2017 - 09:22 am:

Yes, real estate certainly is in short supply inside the cover. Special care is needed to insure the leads don't contact the commutator.

Kevin, I think you're right about the "right". :-) If I ever do it again, I may give that a try.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Monday, March 27, 2017 - 12:00 pm:

Good post, great pictures and explanation.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Monday, March 27, 2017 - 12:39 pm:

Found it!

Rod Barrett posted these pictures in June of last year.

Starter before

Starter after

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration