What Is This....and Is It Necessary?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: What Is This....and Is It Necessary?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Sunday, March 26, 2017 - 12:06 pm:

Until I saw someone discussing this on Facebook, I had assumed it was factory, but now I don't know.

I'm referring to the clamp that's going around the spring perch down to the front suspension triangulation arm (I'm sure that has a real name).

Is this an aftermarket thing? Maybe a safety catch?

They're both currently kind of loose and don't look like they're doing anything.

Please excuse the photo quality. I had to overexpose it to get it to show up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Sunday, March 26, 2017 - 12:11 pm:

It's an add on accessory support .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Sunday, March 26, 2017 - 12:12 pm:

That is certainly not stock and is not necessary. I would assume the purpose is to keep the wishbone from dropping down if the nut comes loose but If the nut is put on right and secured with a split pin I doubt that would ever happen. Perhaps the threads are shot and this was a way of dealing with that instead of replacing the spring perch.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Sunday, March 26, 2017 - 12:12 pm:

Accessory clamp to strengthen the wishbone at the perch.

Lots of wishbones get bent at that junction, as the conical perch nut holds the wishbone firm, but the wishbone can take a bend at that point. Braces may help, can't hurt.

Another style on my '23.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Sunday, March 26, 2017 - 12:12 pm:

I think you are referring to the "Wishbone" that support is an aftermarket device!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Sunday, March 26, 2017 - 12:23 pm:

Yes G.R.

I should've know that....from having been around my dad and his hotrodder buddies when I was a kid.

There were a lot of "split wishbones" on those cars.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, March 26, 2017 - 12:41 pm:

The official Ford name for the wishbone is front radius rod. The only potential problem I see with that accessory is cosmetic. If somehow the wishbone nut loosened up enough to make it function, I guess it could wear into the perch and the axle a little. As long as the nut is tight and cotter pinned, it's superfluous.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Sunday, March 26, 2017 - 12:50 pm:

The front radius rod is very necessary to keep fixed firm. Ford knew weakness and with later new Model A, more horses and front brakes, the under/over design was made.

And many like to add accessories to support the important function.

Any extra support can't hurt.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration